Question about Old Key West

Hello! I am new to Mouse Buzz but not new to Disney. We are lucky enough to live very close to Disney and go multiple times a year. While we have stayed at many resorts, we have never stayed at OKW. We will be going on Friday, and I was just told we will be in Bldg 53, which looks like it is in the back. Does any one know if these rooms have been renovated? Not a big deal, just curious. Also if you have stayed at OKW do you think it would be wise to plan on taking the buses or driving in to the parks? I see that there is a bus stop near our bldg. DD is turning 1 on Sunday (we share the same Birthday, so we are going to celebrate) and so obviously we have a stroller, and plenty of “gear.” I remember reading in a thread once, something about if your last on the bus route at OKW it can be difficult to get on with all of the other people. This may impact my decision as to which stroller to bring and possible which vehicle we will drive down. Thank you in advance for any help or advice. Looking forward to being part of the Mouse Buzz community! :slight_smile:

I do not have a whole lot of info on OKW, but there are some who do … so I’ll just welcome you to here.

Watch out for some of these guys - they can be sort of weird, if you know what I mean.

(I better add I was kidding.)

Thank you :slight_smile:

Welcome to Mousebuzz!:glare:

OKW is our absolute favourite resort - so I’ll try to help you out

I would definitely not recommend Building 53. OKW is a very large and spread-out resort and Building 53 is about as far as you can get from Hospitality House, the main pool, Olivia’s etc. If you want to be in that area, but much closer to the main pool, etc. I would recommend (in order) Building 45 and 46. I know for a fact that 45 is refurbed because we stayed there last Sept. It fronts the Sassagoula River and is very peaceful, yet not a long walk to Olivia’s etc. I would assume that 46 is also refurbed and is also on the river. Buildings 31 thru 35 on Old Turtle Pond Road are also excellent. Do NOT let them try and give you 38 thru 43. These back on to the highway and can be very noisy. Probably the PRIMO building at OKW is 62 - unfortunately, long time visitors also know this and it’s rarely available, but you can ask. It is situated right across from Hospitality House and can use 2 bus stops. Also, if you are on the top floor you have a great view of the fireworks at Epcot, lying in the comfort of your bed! Miller’s Road is very quiet if you are in Buiding 17 and 18; the rest border on the highway too. Other than building 45 I cannot tell you what has been refurbed - but they’ve been working there a long time, so I would expect most of it is completed.

Personally, we always use our car when we’re at OKW - parking is right outside your door and it really does save a lot of time. The only park we take the bus to is the MK. There really is no way to predict the bus service - I’ve been there and the bus service has been terrific and at times we’ve had a bit of a wait. However, there is the advantage that OKW doesn’t share with any other resort.

A lot of people don’t care for OKW because it is a much more laid-back resort - it isn’t Disney overload 24/7. This is why we like it. It gives us a break from the parks and helps us to unwind. Also, the balconies/patios are huge and a wonderful place for the whole family to relax. OKW is the largest (room wise) of all the DVC properties, so if you are in a one or two bedroom you will really be able to stretch out. The studios have 2 queen-size beds instead of the bed/sofa bed situation of the rest of the DVCs.

(btw Olivia’s is one of the best-kept secrets at WDW - just a terrific, family-friendly restaurant). Hope all this helps!

[QUOTE=llama;1082974]Welcome to Mousebuzz!:glare:

OKW is our absolute favourite resort - so I’ll try to help you out

I would definitely not recommend Building 53. OKW is a very large and spread-out resort and Building 53 is about as far as you can get from Hospitality House, the main pool, Olivia’s etc. If you want to be in that area, but much closer to the main pool, etc. I would recommend (in order) Building 45 and 46. I know for a fact that 45 is refurbed because we stayed there last Sept. It fronts the Sassagoula River and is very peaceful, yet not a long walk to Olivia’s etc. I would assume that 46 is also refurbed and is also on the river. Buildings 31 thru 35 on Old Turtle Pond Road are also excellent. Do NOT let them try and give you 38 thru 43. These back on to the highway and can be very noisy. Probably the PRIMO building at OKW is 62 - unfortunately, long time visitors also know this and it’s rarely available, but you can ask. It is situated right across from Hospitality House and can use 2 bus stops. Also, if you are on the top floor you have a great view of the fireworks at Epcot, lying in the comfort of your bed! Miller’s Road is very quiet if you are in Buiding 17 and 18; the rest border on the highway too. Other than building 45 I cannot tell you what has been refurbed - but they’ve been working there a long time, so I would expect most of it is completed.

Personally, we always use our car when we’re at OKW - parking is right outside your door and it really does save a lot of time. The only park we take the bus to is the MK. There really is no way to predict the bus service - I’ve been there and the bus service has been terrific and at times we’ve had a bit of a wait. However, there is the advantage that OKW doesn’t share with any other resort.

A lot of people don’t care for OKW because it is a much more laid-back resort - it isn’t Disney overload 24/7. This is why we like it. It gives us a break from the parks and helps us to unwind. Also, the balconies/patios are huge and a wonderful place for the whole family to relax. OKW is the largest (room wise) of all the DVC properties, so if you are in a one or two bedroom you will really be able to stretch out. The studios have 2 queen-size beds instead of the bed/sofa bed situation of the rest of the DVCs.

(btw Olivia’s is one of the best-kept secrets at WDW - just a terrific, family-friendly restaurant). Hope all this helps![/QUOTE]
Thank you very much for the information, I am looking forward to a laid back vacation and I know my husband is as well. We actually booked this resort through points with RCI and so I assumed we would be given one of the less desirable buildings. I did call this morning to request to be closer to the hospitality house, at which point I was told we would be given 53 unless something changes. Unfortunately the CM I spoke with was very matter of fact and unpleasant and quick to hang up the phone so I am not sure if she noted my request but I will make a new request at check-in and hopefully they can fulfill it. I appreciate your time in writing the response! When I get back I will take a stab at writing a TR and let you know how it goes!

Welcome to MB. Now you know that as new MB’rs you are required to either:

(1) Write a TR telling us all just how much fun you are having or had while in the World while we live through you since we are stuck at home

OR

(2) Change your trip to the same time as Boss’s and dance in the fountains with him. The Mickey police allow him to bring friends with him. Honest.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1082990]Welcome to MB. Now you know that as new MB’rs you are required to either:

(1) Write a TR telling us all just how much fun you are having or had while in the World while we live through you since we are stuck at home

OR

(2) Change your trip to the same time as Boss’s and dance in the fountains with him. The Mickey police allow him to bring friends with him. Honest.[/QUOTE]
Bahaha I am willing to attempt both :blush:

Added bonus! I’ll be there when Boss is - but I draw the line at fountain dancing.:glare:

We used to rent through Interval and it didn’t seem to make a difference in room selection, but maybe that has changed and they designate buildings for RCI. Even so, there is no need for a CM to be so short and abrupt with you - and (unless this is a new policy), I’ve never heard of them assigning you a room before you check in. I’d call back, hope for a friendly voice and ask them about that.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I have never heard of any cm telling someone their exact location prior to arriving. I was going to ask you who your connection was to get that info.

I would just call back and put in a request for one of Llama’s suggested areas. They should honor room requests as long as availablity is there, regardless if you are RCI, DVC or paying cash.

(By the way, welcome to MB!:flowers:)

I was very surprised myself when they informed us they already had our building picked out. I said that I was calling to request to be close to HH because we have a baby who is just learning to walk (its that whole “she wants to walk but really can’t walk too far yet, but is frustrated by the stroller…” scenario) and she said well you are going to be in B53 unless something changes, and when I was about to reply to ask that my request be noted in the event of a possible opening she cut me off at the quick and told me curtly to have a magical day ha! Maybe I will try back and see if I get someone else after all! Wish me luck!

Absolutely call back! That is not an acceptable way to speak to a guest. And I’ve never heard of a “B” in the numbering at OKW - sounds a little suspicious to me…like she really didn’t know what she was talking about. I assure you - there is no “B53”. Isn’t that a plane or something?:confused:

haha! My apologies the “B” was my lazy way of abbreviating building to you, but there definitely was nothing magical about this lady!

Welcome to MB, I only stayed in Old Key West once, so I really won’t be much help. The resort is very nice and the rooms are the largest of all the DVC resorts which is nice. I would try llama’s suggestions.

Also of all the times I’ve stayed at WDW I was never told what building or room I had until I arrived, even if I requested a room or building I’m always told that they would note my request but couldn’t guarantee a room or building. So I would call back and double check.

Have a great vacation and please write a Trip Report upon your return.

Welcome to MB!

I have no advice about OKW but wanted to thanks to llama for the info on the resort. I will be staying there for the first time in October and feel like I don’t know anything about it!

Ahhhhhh, got it. Has boss assigned any jobs yet, say as his secret undercover costume carrier and Mickey Police lookout?

Ok Update: I called this afternoon and spoke with a new CM who happily noted the request, she did confirm that they planned for us to be in building 53. I explained to her that we are not very picky but that we were hoping to be closer to the H.H. if at all possible and I gave her some of the choices llama suggested, so fingers crossed, thanks for all of the help and suggestions! I will let you all know how it goes!

I’m glad you called. I’m beginning to think that they must have a new policy for those renting with RCI, because I have never heard of them ever telling people where they will be before they check in.

I have stayed there a couple of times and loved buildings 19 and 18. There is a bus stop right there and it’s the last stop before you exit the resort. It also not to far to walk to the main area if you have a coach. I highly suggest you call back and get a real CM and asked to be switched to some where you want to stay. Regardless of who you booked your points with, you are still a WDW guest and must be treated accordingly. I would also ask again at check in.

I do agree with Dana. You shouldn’t be relegated to one building. A guest is a guest no matter how you’ve book. (those are good buildings too).

I love their restaurant!!