Question about Room Only Reservation

With all the great promotions, I decided to book a “quick” trip to Disney in June! We’re going to stay at the Beach Club Resort for the pool area - thought in the heat of the afternoon, we would enjoy it!

Here’s my question - I booked a room only reservation because I would prefer not to pay in full by April 15th. Can I add the dining plan and tix to my reservation? If so, does anyone know by when that needs to be done? I want to price out our meals and see what our best options are but want to see if I can add the dining plan if that turns out to be a cost savings for us.

Thanks so much!

I am not sure the exact answer to your question… BUT

I have added the dining plan to my reservation within a week or two of my check-in date and they required that I pay the whole thing in full at that time.

When I booked a room only, and then tried adding dining plan, the cm told me I couldn’t, and that dining plan was only available if you booked a package. That was a while ago, so rules may have changed, but I would call to confirm.

I was under the impression, looking at an old reservation, that you can add the dining plan up to 5 days prior to your arrival date. That was in 2007.

I think you are best to call down and verify with a CM. You will need to add at least a one day ticket in order to add the dining plan. Not sure of the cut off date to add tickets/dining to a room only reservation. It was my understanding that you could add anything to your package at any time.

We’ve done that before many times for the same reason, it must be done at least 5 days in advance although I would allow for 7. Apparently under the system packages and room only reservations are entered in the computer under different codes so that the whole reservation is cancelled and started over if that makes sense. We’ve never had a problem with it and in fact once we were only 3 days out and they were great and accomodated our change of plans! ( we were traveling with other people that couldn’t make up their minds lol) Good luck!

If you were renting points to stay at DVC you could get the dining plan only. For DVC reservations DDP has to be added 48 hours in advance but is not paid until check in.

I’m thinking that you should be able to add just the Dining Plan for a resort stay. Otherwise guests staying at resorts who have annual passes wouldn’t be able to get the DDP either and that doesn’t sound right.

I’m not sure what the reasoning is for deadlines for adding. It’s not like the resturants are going to say we have X number of people on the DDP next week so we have to buy more food.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1018642]If you were renting points to stay at DVC you could get the dining plan only. For DVC reservations DDP has to be added 48 hours in advance but is not paid until check in.

I’m thinking that you should be able to add just the Dining Plan for a resort stay. Otherwise guests staying at resorts who have annual passes wouldn’t be able to get the DDP either and that doesn’t sound right.

I’m not sure what the reasoning is for deadlines for adding. It’s not like the resturants are going to say we have X number of people on the DDP next week so we have to buy more food.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s because you have to cancel in theory the whole reservation, one time a CM was unfamiliar with the process and it was like a 90 day camel ride to get it right. All other times it took about 10 minutes to change over the reservation.

UNLESS you are staying on DVC points or are an AP holder, the Disney Dining Plan is available ONLY as part of a Disney resort package.

There is NO WAY to add the DDP to a regular room-only reservation. You can’t ask nicely or talk them into it … it’s a dead solid policy.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1020382]UNLESS you are staying on DVC points or are an AP holder, the Disney Dining Plan is available ONLY as part of a Disney resort package.

There is NO WAY to add the DDP to a regular room-only reservation. You can’t ask nicely or talk them into it … it’s a dead solid policy.[/QUOTE]

We did. We are NOT DVC or have AP’s. Booked a room at Poly on 10-22-09, added CS DDP, checked out 10-23-09 and did NOT have any park tics added to our stay. Calling Disney is your best bet. What does work for 1 person may not always apply to another or vice-versa.

I called Disney and the cm said I can add dining plan up to 4 days before my check in (need to add at least 1 day park tix). I would have to pay for all then. Thanks!!

Other than DVC and AP, I too thought DDP was only added to packages. I once tried to book a room for my parents, who didn’t want any park tickets, but wanted the DDP and I had to put at least a one-day ticket on the reservation to get the DDP. I thought that was a policy.

We had a non-dis hotel earlier in the week. Bought tics while there but used them all the day before checkout. Then checked in a dis hotel with ddp and no addtl tics added to cover that stay. I had even told the CM that all our tics would be used up before checking into the Poly upon booking but was told that was ok. Checked in, picked up meal booklet and hung out at the hotel for 2 days. I don’t know if it had anything to do with the fact that we priviously had tics, but as mentioned that was not a dis hotel and all had already been used.

We use Mouseketrips and they always book us room only and then add dining and other promotions when when they becomes available. That’s happened for us the last few years.

[QUOTE=staceyheis;1018603]With all the great promotions, I decided to book a “quick” trip to Disney in June! We’re going to stay at the Beach Club Resort for the pool area - thought in the heat of the afternoon, we would enjoy it!

Here’s my question - I booked a room only reservation because I would prefer not to pay in full by April 15th. Can I add the dining plan and tix to my reservation? If so, does anyone know by when that needs to be done? I want to price out our meals and see what our best options are but want to see if I can add the dining plan if that turns out to be a cost savings for us.

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

No you have to be on a package to get the DDP or stay on points through DVC.

Not if you’re military you don’t. Checked yesterday, that’s how we stayed with room and DDP w/o adding any extra tickets to our hotel stay.
There’s a lot of exceptions to the rule that WDW makes. That’s why it’s good to get as much info as one can but always go to CM’s for the final ruling on what’s available at that time. Not being DVC I don’t know of all the in’s and out’s of all the perks offered but if some things don’t apply to everyone, that doesn’t always mean they don’t exist.:wink:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1020501]Not if you’re military you don’t. Checked yesterday, that’s how we stayed with room and DDP w/o adding any extra tickets to our hotel stay…[/QUOTE] It would have been really nice if you’d included that detail earlier. You made it sound like just anyone could do it that way.

Um…no, I didn’t. Matter of fact my first post stated this exact phrase:

Calling Disney is your best bet. What does work for 1 person may not always apply to another or vice-versa.

and even in my second too:

There’s a lot of exceptions to the rule that WDW makes. That’s why it’s good to get as much info as one can but always go to CM’s for the final ruling on what’s available at that time. Not being DVC I don’t know of all the in’s and out’s of all the perks offered but if some things don’t apply to everyone, that doesn’t always mean they don’t exist

You insisted that it could not be done, when you knew that it could after we’d had this same exact discussion months ago where you ended up correcting your statement. Without getting into my personal life I made the same suggestions re: contacting Disney and that not all situations are the same for all not once, but twice in this thread. So please don’t call me out on this. I feel as though I gave enough solid advice for each to make their owns decisions whether or not to take the inititave to see what they may or may not qualify for.
You have a nice day now.

Wow…what a magical thread this turned out to be.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1020931]Um…no, I didn’t. Matter of fact my first post stated this exact phrase:

and even in my second too:

You insisted that it could not be done, when you knew that it could after we’d had this same exact discussion months ago where you ended up correcting your statement. Without getting into my personal life I made the same suggestions re: contacting Disney and that not all situations are the same for all not once, but twice in this thread. So please don’t call me out on this. I feel as though I gave enough solid advice for each to make their owns decisions whether or not to take the inititave to see what they may or may not qualify for.
You have a nice day now.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I believe it is better to help people by explaining information that can help them plan their own trips, rather than to take pride in being purposely vague. People tend to come here to learn about booking their trips.

But I’m just silly that way.

If I’m in a mall parking lot and someone asks me where they can find a good deal on a specific product, I’ll tell them the exact store and even the exact shelf if I know the answer. I won’t just smugly tell them “Ask around the mall.”