Question for all the wives out there

Since we got home from our vacation at WDW in July with our family, I have had it on my mind that I would love to surprise my wife with a trip to wdw for our 15th anniversary. This would be about a 3-4 day “get away” for just my wife and myself (we didnt take a honeymoon). My wife, like many of you, I am sure, is very, very practical and would say absolutely “no” if I said something to her about doing this. I would love to hear all of your absolute HONEST comments about this. The information I get from all of you will go a long way in helping me make up my mind!!! Also, what adult activities at Disney have you experienced that you would recommend???

:pluto:

hehehe! You have come to the wrong place for practical! None of the women here will turn down a Disney trip! Esp. a surprise one planned by their DH! I think its a great idea and it might put you in the running for husband of the year!

Yes, I would vote for you for Husband of the Year! Mine is a close second, though, as we are going for 12 days this year!!!heheheeee!

If she is a Disney nut like we are here, you could not go wrong! I say, plan away!!! There are lots of experts on KEEPING SECRETS on this board, too…and lots of ways of telling…you have come to the right place…

My DH just took me on a birthday/anniversary trip last weekend. It was all his idea and he would have planned in all in secret but I manage all the money and he couldn’t have pulled it off, I read every line of the credit card bill. He told me we were going and not to worry that it was crazy. It was our 4th trip this year (AP year not calendar year) and totally nuts but so fun. It took me a few weeks to get over spending the money but I’m so glad we did it. THe weekend was fun because we didn’t worry about how much we got done because the whole trip was ‘extra’ so everything we got done was bonus stuff.

I didn’t tell my parents we were going until we were on our way to the airport. They aren’t Disney people so they don’t understand all these trips and a weekend trip is even crazier.

Please go to Cirque, the show is wonderful. Your wife will love it and you could start or end the evening with a nice dinner at Downtown Disney.

How wonderfully romantic!:wub:

Wonderful idea!:happy:

Here are some ideas:

Dinner at California Grill for fireworks
Carriage ride at Port Orleans
Dinner at Jiko and watching the animals at sunset on AKL savannah.
Spa Treatments for 2

I’m sure I’ll think of more later…

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;850656]My DH just took me on a birthday/anniversary trip last weekend. It was all his idea and he would have planned in all in secret but I manage all the money and he couldn’t have pulled it off, I read every line of the credit card bill. He told me we were going and not to worry that it was crazy. It was our 4th trip this year (AP year not calendar year) and totally nuts but so fun. It took me a few weeks to get over spending the money but I’m so glad we did it. THe weekend was fun because we didn’t worry about how much we got done because the whole trip was ‘extra’ so everything we got done was bonus stuff.

I didn’t tell my parents we were going until we were on our way to the airport. They aren’t Disney people so they don’t understand all these trips and a weekend trip is even crazier.

Please go to Cirque, the show is wonderful. Your wife will love it and you could start or end the evening with a nice dinner at Downtown Disney.[/QUOTE]

My wife handles the money too. I would have to be really underhanded. Thanks for the good information.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;850656]

Please go to Cirque, the show is wonderful. Your wife will love it and you could start or end the evening with a nice dinner at Downtown Disney.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes! Cirque and dinner at Wolfgangs would be wonderful. ***The cafe upstairs is quieter and more romantic.:wub:

My DH said he really wanted to surprise me but he knew I would see the charge on the CC bill and he knew he couldn’t get a new CC because I check our credit report often and I would see a new card and think someone was stealing his information.

I’m sure you can book a room and mail a check to WDW, I believe you can hold a room for 14 days before a deposit is due. I’m sure your wife would see a check so maybe you could give cash to a friend and have him write the check or charge the room to his card.

I think that would be great. will you be able to keep it totally secret? for instance, will you drive to DW or do you have to fly? If you drive, then I wouldn’t tell her at all where you are going. you can advise her what she’ll need to pack. If you have to tell her, tell her as little as possible, not where you are staying, no dinner reservations - and don’t forget to make those! Coral Reef and a diver would be exciting!

I agree about the cafe being loud. We went early (4:00) and it was fine but by the time we left it was really loud, too loud for a nice romantic dinner.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;850663]My DH said he really wanted to surprise me but he knew I would see the charge on the CC bill and he knew he couldn’t get a new CC because I check our credit report often and I would see a new card and think someone was stealing his information.

I’m sure you can book a room and mail a check to WDW, I believe you can hold a room for 14 days before a deposit is due. I’m sure your wife would see a check so maybe you could give cash to a friend and have him write the check or charge the room to his card.[/QUOTE]

Those are awesome ideas to be sneaky!!:pirate:

DH and I are going in 16 days. We are having dinner at CA Grill at Fireworks time, and trying to book a spa package. Most of all, we are just going to enjoy each other without the kids for the first time since they were born!

Good for you for wanting to surprise your wife! Best of luck!

OK, here are my honest comments with some questions.

1. How great you want to surprise her! :wub:
  2. What about this would your wife say “no” to? The money, the place (ie hard to enjoy without the kids)
  3. If you are honest is there somewhere closer that would touch her heart because you planned it and not be so unpractical?

I think it is a great idea, but I would hate to have it not turn out like you really want because she won’t let herself enjoy it.

We will definitely fly. Good info thanks!

Wow! This is a GREAT idea!

DisneyTeacher is right, you can hold your reservation for 48 hours before deposit is due, and they will give you an overnight address to send it too. Or you could get an AMEX or Visa gift card for yourself and use that if easier! (ATM withdraw and then get it from the bank, works like a credit card!)

Cirque and Wolfgangs is the PERFECT night too . . .

When you call and book, tell the CM the ins and outs of what you are doing . . . they’ll give you good suggestions as well.
GOOD LUCK!

That is so sweet that your going to be surprising dw. I would just say book it book it book it. You will have such a fabulous time. Spa time is always wonderful. For our 10 year we are going to be renewing our wedding vows. Maybe you can plan this into the mix of things to do!

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but as much as I love WDW, I don’t think I would want to go without my kids. I’m sure when they’re grown I’d be thrilled, however I would much rather go somewhere else alone with my husband. I absolutely adore the idea that you want to plan this get away and I would surely nominate you for husband of the year, but I’d prefer somewhere closer to home as an adult only weekend.

I think a surprise trip is a wonderful idea. We have done it for our kids before, and it is great fun…Good luck with pulling it off!

I’ve been married for 28 years!:pinch: (I was a child-bride:laugh:) and although my dh is a great guy, in 28 years he has never surprised me once. He’s the practical one in the family.:glare: I would give ANYTHING if he would surprise me with a trip like that JUST ONCE!! I think your idea is fantastic! And your wife will be thrilled!:happy:

I booked a trip to DL and White Sox tickets in Anahiem without telling my wife first then told her afterward. I think you should surprise your wife.

I think you idea is terrific! go ahead and do it, everyone here has marvellous suggestions-she’s a lucky girl to have such a thoughtful you Jeff!