Question on college program for son

My son is going to be a senior in high school in the fall. I know it is too soon for him to apply for the Disney college program but he is wanting to apply for it. He wants to work at Disney in the creation of rides, parades, show productions, etc. He is very serious about this, he has been on this path for the last 3 years. He has said he would like to work at either Disney World Florida or in Tokyo Disneyland. But of coarse he will take what he can get. My question is, I have read that he has to be in college 6 month’s before he can apply for the Disney college program. After he has accomplished that, what is the best way to go about applying for the Disney College program. Is there something he can apply for before that where he can get some experience before the College program. What all is available to take that they offer if you are serious about working for them in the future. And how do you go about finding out what you need to take in college to prepare you for the job you want, in his case, to develop ideas for rides, shows, parades, entertainment, etc. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated. We are going on a huge trip in December. He always exempts his exams so we get a head start on school holidays. Our trip to Disney World will be December 11 - 27. I thought we could do a dinner with an imaginear and find out some things he would need to take at college before he starts their program. But he is starting to look at colleges now and it would be nice to know what would work well with the college program as well.
Thanks again for any and all help.
Melissa

My daughter is there now on the CP. He could do career start, which is right after high school instead of waiting for the CP. If you search the disney website and put in career start or college program it should link you to the area that gives more info. about both programs.

Your son can do this thing called the Disney CareerStart program, it’s essentially the SAME thing as the CP. They go to the same traditions classes, arrive on the same days, get housed together, share the same roles, etc. (although CS does have less role options than CP) and they both can take classes while down there. The only real difference is CP get college credit for doing it. CS just get work experience. And if they decide to go to college afterwards and your son takes courses while down there most colleges while accept them as credit.

Here’s the link: The Disney CareerStart Program - Walt Disney World Resort

Basically the CareerStart Program is for students who have graduated within 48 months with either a HS diploma or GED. So your son could apply while still in High School in October, and then be selected for the Fall Program which arrives in Augst.

The CareerStart program is intended to help kids either get a foot in the door in the company who don’t have plans to go to college so they can bump up their resume or just for kids who want to do this program before college (sort of like a year off thing) like I did!

The College AND CareerStart Programs are excellent! I began my internship this year, but had to come home early due to a death in the family. But the program was the time of my life! There really is no difference in the two programs. They are completely equal, aside from the extra roles that CPer’s get to chose from, and do everything together!

But I do suggest, if your son is interested in a Professional Internship (the next tier of internships at WDW. These would be internships that actually pretain to the students interets, i.e. Imagineering, Parade Production, Audio Animatronic, etc!) then I really suggest your son does one of these two programs. Considering Disney promotes within first! So if your son has worked with the company before, they’ll be more interested to chose him for these competitive slots!

If you have any other questions about how the program is, or anything in general just let me know! I’ve helped a lot of the kids on this site through the application process and such! :happy:

Here are the application requirements:
https://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/apply/app_req.html

He has to complete one semester of college before he can do the CP. Make sure he keeps his eyes out for campus presentations, since applications for the next semester will go up during his first semester. (For example, I am going to be doing the CP this Fall 2010, but applications for that season went up early in the spring semester of 2010.)

The best way to apply is to keep an eye on the CP website (www.wdwcollegeprogram.com) and watch for the online applications to open up. If you apply early, they say you have a better chance of getting accepted and getting your first choice in roles.

As others have said, CareerStart!

Here is the Education Overview:
https://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/students/education/edu_overview.html
There are lots of classes and seminars he can choose to participate in while he’s on the CP. They also offer something called the Speaker Series where CP alums talk to current CPers about how they moved up in the company.

I would really suggest that he not tailor his college experience just to get a job at Disney. The CP and other jobs at Disney are open to all majors - there’s a place for everyone! My major is anthropology/archaeology and although it seems like that has nothing to do with Disney, I’ve read all kinds of jobs at Disney that I would be qualified for.

Getting a full time position with Disney is not easy, but as StaceyDarling said, doing the CP or CS gives you a foot in the door. Good luck to him!

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1029975]Your son can do this thing called the Disney CareerStart program, it’s essentially the SAME thing as the CP. They go to the same traditions classes, arrive on the same days, get housed together, share the same roles, etc. (although CS does have less role options than CP) and they both can take classes while down there. The only real difference is CP get college credit for doing it. CS just get work experience. And if they decide to go to college afterwards and your son takes courses while down there most colleges while accept them as credit.

Here’s the link: The Disney CareerStart Program - Walt Disney World Resort

Basically the CareerStart Program is for students who have graduated within 48 months with either a HS diploma or GED. So your son could apply while still in High School in October, and then be selected for the Fall Program which arrives in Augst.

The CareerStart program is intended to help kids either get a foot in the door in the company who don’t have plans to go to college so they can bump up their resume or just for kids who want to do this program before college (sort of like a year off thing) like I did!

The College AND CareerStart Programs are excellent! I began my internship this year, but had to come home early due to a death in the family. But the program was the time of my life! There really is no difference in the two programs. They are completely equal, aside from the extra roles that CPer’s get to chose from, and do everything together!

But I do suggest, if your son is interested in a Professional Internship (the next tier of internships at WDW. These would be internships that actually pretain to the students interets, i.e. Imagineering, Parade Production, Audio Animatronic, etc!) then I really suggest your son does one of these two programs. Considering Disney promotes within first! So if your son has worked with the company before, they’ll be more interested to chose him for these competitive slots!

If you have any other questions about how the program is, or anything in general just let me know! I’ve helped a lot of the kids on this site through the application process and such! :happy:[/QUOTE]

So if he will be a senior for the 2010-2011 school year. When would he need to apply for the Career Start? Could he go streight from Career Start to College Program or would he need to to 6 month’s of college between the 2 Disney programs?
Thanks.
Melisasa

I would really suggest that he not tailor his college experience just to get a job at Disney. The CP and other jobs at Disney are open to all majors - there’s a place for everyone! My major is anthropology/archaeology and although it seems like that has nothing to do with Disney, I’ve read all kinds of jobs at Disney that I would be qualified for.

Getting a full time position with Disney is not easy, but as StaceyDarling said, doing the CP or CS gives you a foot in the door. Good luck to him![/QUOTE]

he knows it’s hard to do but that is what he really wants to do and that is why he is trying to find out what to take for what he wants to do. That is the only thing he wants to do is work at Disney. I know it sounds like a kid thing, but he has been looking into this for the last 3 years. Seriously looking into this. Nothing else interests him. He is seriously into productions,gaming development, ride ideas, etc. and he has very computer literate and has been since elementery school. Has been taking advanced classes since they have been offering them, and taking dual enrollment college courses in his high school. I showed him the Career Start program and he seemed very interested. Maby that will be the way he goes. Start with that, find out what he will need to take for what he wants to do, go to college for a while then come back for the college program. Hopefully it can work out that way.
Now if he graduates in 2011, when would he need to apply for the career start program for starting after May 2011?

[QUOTE=kusco;1030032]he knows it’s hard to do but that is what he really wants to do and that is why he is trying to find out what to take for what he wants to do. That is the only thing he wants to do is work at Disney. I know it sounds like a kid thing, but he has been looking into this for the last 3 years. Seriously looking into this. Nothing else interests him. He is seriously into productions,gaming development, ride ideas, etc. and he has very computer literate and has been since elementery school. Has been taking advanced classes since they have been offering them, and taking dual enrollment college courses in his high school. I showed him the Career Start program and he seemed very interested. Maby that will be the way he goes. Start with that, find out what he will need to take for what he wants to do, go to college for a while then come back for the college program. Hopefully it can work out that way.
Now if he graduates in 2011, when would he need to apply for the career start program for starting after May 2011?[/QUOTE]

Sounds awesome! Good luck to him again!

I am not very familiar with the CareerStart program - I know StaceyDarling is an expert on it and I’m sure she’ll be back soon to answer your questions! :happy:

[QUOTE=kusco;1030002]So if he will be a senior for the 2010-2011 school year. When would he need to apply for the Career Start? Could he go streight from Career Start to College Program or would he need to to 6 month’s of college between the 2 Disney programs?
Thanks.
Melisasa[/QUOTE]

If he wants to do the Careerstart he can apply while he’s high school. And as long as he’s 18 and graduated by the time of the program he wants, he can just go and do it! Ofcourse he’ll have to apply just like CP. My suggestion is if he wants to do it right out of H.S. then he should apply for the Fall 2011 program while he’s in school. And then if he gets accepted he’ll be able to go down and work for Disney for six months.

If he wants to do the CP after the CS he’ll need to enroll in college and go for the first semester before he could do the CP.

Your son could do what they call ‘extending’ his program while down there. (Both the CP and CS offer this.) It’ll allow him to have his program stay increased so he can be there for longer. But if he completes his program and doesn’t extend, he’ll have to wait 6months inbetween doing another program.

So he could do the CS, start college, complete the first semester and go for the CP, if thats what you guys wanted to do!

Say he graduates in June-May of 2011, he would and he wants to go in Fall 2011 he would apply this Janurary-Februrary 2011. Somewhere around there he’ll be able to apply. Thats when they’ll put the application up online. What you can do is when it starts getting closer that time you can call the recruitment office and they’ll tell you the date they’ll put the E-Presentation (which they make you watch before applying) and the application up.

Or you can also just continuously check the website and see if it’s up. Once the E-Presentation is up, the application’s will be too.

They generally start interviews about 6 months in advance for the program they’re hiring for, so…

If he wants to go in Fall 2011… He’ll arrive late August and be coming home around mid Jan. (unless he extends.) And app’s should go up in mid Janurary.

If he wants to go in Spring 2012… He’ll arrive late Jan. to early Feb. and he’ll come home mid August. (unless he extends.) And app’s go up in Jan.

Basically, whenever one program gets over, thats when they begin the application processes!

Hopefully that wasn’t too confusing… :blush: lol

My advice is to follow StaceyDarling’s advice. She helped out my son, and he is now headed down in September to the Career Start program. :mickey: Plus, it give us an excuse to go down again ourselves. :laugh:

Haha, well thank you Big Al! But your son did most of the hard work! You both should be very proud!