Questions About Renting DVC Points

Hi all, haven’t been around in a while…health issues.

Anyhoo, all is well now and we are going to start planning a May 2007 trip. Have a few questions…

1. Is it any cheaper to rent DVC points in lieu of paying out right for a moderate resort? We absolutely love BW and have always wanted to stay there. Normally stay at CBR.

2. Is it as easy as they say to rent points?

3. Would someone have enough points to rent for an 11 night stay. We always go for a week and a half. A week just is not enough for us.

4. How do you go about finding who is renting points and how do you know they are legite? A while ago, I searched on a few websites, but all the mumbo jumbo looked confusing.

5. Who books the resort…me or the renter?

6. When you rent points, do you get the DVC perks?

7. Do you know if Mouseketrips gets involved in DVC rentals?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get a feel for this to see if it is worth doing. We’ve himmed and hawed about buying into DVC for over 7 years. Just bought a pop-up camper so DVC is out for right now…again!

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Kim

Hi, Kim! Welcome back.

I am no DVC expert but I’ll try to help you.

1. Is it any cheaper to rent DVC points in lieu of paying out right for a moderate resort? We absolutely love BW and have always wanted to stay there. Normally stay at CBR.

It will cost 11 points per week night and 26 points for Friday/Saturday nights. Lets say you spend one weekend and 8 week nights–that’s 140 points total. Points are currently renting for 10-12 a point. If you can get $10 a point you 11 nights will only cost you $1,400. That’s a bit less than a moderate for the same number of nights and you get a deluxe room.

2. Is it as easy as they say to rent points?

This is about the busiest site to look for points:
http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

I’ve only rented points once and it was very easy but I rented from my best friend.

Sorry–I hit reply too soon.

3. Would someone have enough points to rent for an 11 night stay. We always go for a week and a half. A week just is not enough for us.

I’ve seen a lot of points for rent on the DIS, I think you will be able to find the points you need.

4. How do you go about finding who is renting points and how do you know they are legite? A while ago, I searched on a few websites, but all the mumbo jumbo looked confusing.

It’s a chance you take. Mickey has recommended using an escrow company to hold your money until you check in and everything is in order.

5. Who books the resort…me or the renter?

The owner will be the one to book and I don’t think you can make any changes.

6. When you rent points, do you get the DVC perks?

I think that depends. Your room key will have “Member” on it but if you are asked to show you membership card (for a discount, for example) you won’t have one to show. Someone else may be better able to answer this question.

7. Do you know if Mouseketrips gets involved in DVC rentals?

Mouseketrips would only be able to book you the room for cash and that will run more than renting from an owner.

Welcome back!! We’ve missed you! I hope you’re feeling better—

I’ve got a 10-night stay booked at a BCV studio for October for under $1300, so it is usually cheaper than a moderate at rack rates. All depends on your DVC member’s per point cost, the “season” in which you’re traveling, the resort you’re choosing, and the size of the room (studio vs. larger villa).

1. Is it as easy as they say to rent points?

Yep! As long as you find a DVC member whom you trust and enjoy working with.

1. Would someone have enough points to rent for an 11 night stay. We always go for a week and a half. A week just is not enough for us.

Check those dis boards. There are people who do this as a side business, so they’ve got TONS of points at numerous different resorts.

1. How do you go about finding who is renting points and how do you know they are legite? A while ago, I searched on a few websites, but all the mumbo jumbo looked confusing.

Again, www.wdwinfo.com has a forum dedicated to DVC point rental. You don’t know who’s legit and who’s not–always ask for references and a legit DVC member will be able to provide them. Also ask if they’d be willing to put the points into escrow (www.escrow.com) which protects both the renter and the rentee.

1. Who books the resort…me or the renter?

The renter. He should then send you the confirmation papers as soon as he receives them. My advice is to not pay anything until you receive those papers. You’re allowed to confirm that the reservation is in Disney’s system, but you cannot make any changes. I’ve had some operaters allow me to make changes to requests, but that’s it.

1. When you rent points, do you get the DVC perks?

My roommate has used our room keys with “member” on them to purchase DVC exclusive pins, but we’ve not tried to get any other discounts. I’ve heard that DVC perks absolutely go along with renting, but I’m not sure that would hold up with something like purchasing an AP at a reduced rate or another substantially discounted perk.

I knew you guys would come through. Thanks, I will start poking around. That would be awesome to finally be able to stay at BW or BCV.

How far in advance do you think I might be able to book? I’m guessing it all depends on the renter.

You would think I would be a pro at this being we’ve rented cottages/chalets in the past over the internet. Don’t know why so nervous, guess cause it is WDW and you never want anything to go wrong.

Thanks again!!!

It does depend on the renter. If you rent from someone who owns at BCV you can book 11 months out. If you are booking at a resort that is not their home resort you have to wait until 7 months out.

If you find someone on the disboards and need a reference, let me know. I’ve rented a few times from disboarders, so I clould help out there.

Thanks for the reference. One more questions…may sound dumb but what is a “disboard”? I am assuming Disney Boards but where would I find them other than wdwinfo.com? I want to research on ones that I can trust.

Yes, the disboards are the boards over at wdwinfo.com

The DIS is a forum like DC but it’s huge.

http://disboards.com/index.php?

Ok, just went to wdwinfo.com and now know what “disboards” are. Looks pretty simple. Being we will be going in May '07, will start checking into after our June vacation.

Alright, another question…how many points do you think I will need for an 11 night stay, 5/8-5/19/07?

Here is the points charts (also from over at wdwinfo)

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/DVCpoints.shtml

Oh, and don’t forget we have a rental/trade dvc forum right here at disney central.

http://www.disneycentral.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Didn’t even notice, dah! My pondering got ahead of me. Cool will check into also.

I am still in the middle of planning our June vacaiton to the mountains and just can’t get Disney off the brain. I feel like I am being split in half right about now!

Thanks for all the help guys/gals!!!

Kim

You can also use the points calculator over at the disboards to calculate the exact number of points you’ll need for the exact dates and resort you’re looking for:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resort/dvcpoint.cfm

Loved the points chart, nothing like plugging in your dates and finding out exactly how many points you will need. Saves from having your head explode trying to figure it all out. Now it is just trying to decide on BCV or BWV. Leaning towards BCV.

I’ve never stayed at BW but we’ve stayed at BCV twice and loved it. The pool is so awesome if you have kids.

We had the choice of BCV and BWV a few years back.
We decided on the BCV also.
This year we finally get to try the BWV!!

can i (the newbie—trying to book our october trip to disney) ask a question too? if you rent points from a dvc member can you still get your tickets with the dining option on them?

thanks!

Yes, you can add the dining package if you rent points.