Questions about staying off site

Good news - we’re planning a trip to WDW in Feb!
Bad news - we have to stay offsite using Marriott points to save $

I know some Marriott hotels are “Good Neighbor” hotels and provide transportation to the parks.

Does anyone have experience with this? I’m wondering if their transportation is sufficient, or if it would be worth it to rent a car??

We have never stayed off site before, so I’d love any tips or suggestions from you experts out there!
Thanks!
:mickey:

I’ve been forced to stay off site a few times for the same reason you are. In my experience, the transportation was horrendous, and we desperately wished we had rented a car.
Bottom line: It’s Disney, and it will be fabulous! Have a great time!

I would definately recommend renting a car if you are staying off-site. While many of the good neighbor resorts/hotels do provide shuttle service to the parks, its often only 2 or 3 times a day.

If you choose not to rent a car, I would contact the resort you are staying at and get their shuttle/transportation schedual for the days you will be staying and see if it will fit your schedual. If you staying anywhere on Rt. 192 or Rt. 535 you will also have easy access to Lynx bus service which would be useful to reaching other areas of interest outside of WDW.

I think I would want a car if staying off site. I would hate to think of the stress that may be added trying to get around with no car. Better safe than sorry.

I would definitely want to rent a car if you are staying off property.

if you are staying close to downtown disney, you could walk over there and catch a bus. it would be a pain, but at least you could save some money renting a car.

With not being familiar with the cost of renting a car, would that be almost the same as staying on site? I mean, if you are staying 5 nights, with a stay at Pop at say $89 a night, thats $445.00 for the room. How much does renting a car cost…$300? (truly, I have no clue how much a car rental is). Wouldn’t the difference be worth the emh and convenience of going to the room mid-day?

I have stayed offsite a few times and I strongly suggest renting a car. Waiting for a shuttle or any kind of bus can put a serious damper on your vacation not to mention waste valuable time.

The costs of renting a car all depends on what size car you want and how long you plan on renting it. Since you are going in Feb keep checking the various travel sites like hotwire, priceline and expedia for deals; I guarantee you will find a great deal. Hotwire.com is my personal favorite and I have rented a midsize car for as low as $13 per day; perfect for a family of four.

we stayed off site in October… It was awful… only because we had to fight traffic to get to the parks every day. However, we were going to Disney, so the trip was worth it in the end… We noticed the difference in traffic, transportation time (be sure to check when the shuttle leaves if you are using a shuttle service), lack of Disney feel, etc. The kids brought it up before I did. We did decide that it was better than not being there at all, however! Have a great trip!

The closest Marriott hotels are on the other side of I-4 from the Downtown Disney entrance on 535. While it is walkable I am guessing it is about 2 miles from the Marriott village to the Disney bus stops, but I wouldn’t because of the traffic. You would have transverse traffic turning on to and getting off of the I4 ramps. Plus you would need to cross 535 which is like 6 lanes across. Definitely not a safe endeavor especially you have kids.

Thank you everyone for your input!
While its not ideal, it is a WDW vacation. We’ve decided to rent a car.

Any tips on driving to/from the parks?
Is it best to go directly to the TTC?
Cost of parking?

While we have been to WDW several times, I am completely out of my element staying offsite. Thanks again for the help - I love Mousebuzz!!!

[QUOTE=richaimg;1010220]Thank you everyone for your input!
While its not ideal, it is a WDW vacation. We’ve decided to rent a car.

Any tips on driving to/from the parks?
Is it best to go directly to the TTC?
Cost of parking?

While we have been to WDW several times, I am completely out of my element staying offsite. Thanks again for the help - I love Mousebuzz!!![/QUOTE]

I would drive to each park and not bother with the TTC every day. Parking costs $14 a day now (I think).

I have always rented a villa off site due to our family size. We do rent a car and I often get deals through our BJ’s membership. You can get a car rental for a week for under $200 if you are lucky. Go with the smallest car your family can fit as it will be cheaper.

If you are going to the MK, just follow signs to it. It would be the same for the other parks as well. However if you want to ride the monorail, then go to the TTC, where you can go to either EPCOT or the MK. Have a great trip. We decided that a day in Disney is better than no day in Disney- no matter where you sleep… Have a great trip! You should only be about 10-15 minutes away at most… Just have fun!

One benefit you can take advantage of is the AAA Blue DIamond parking area. If you buy one ticket through AAA you can request a Blue Diamond pass to park in the AAA areas close to the front gates. The area are right next to the handicap areas.
If you are not a AAA member you can have another family member or freind buy the ticket. You will get a voucher from AAA for your ticket which you exchange at the WDW park entrance window.
The pass does not save you parking $$$$, but all of the spaces are close enough to the gates that park hopping is REALLY easy. And you don’t have to walk very far at park closing.
One other advantage is to buy one AP thorugh AAA and get the pass. You get free parking w/ the AP. Compare the difference of the park ticket for one person PLUS the $14 dollars a day to park for the number of days. If one AP is cheaper go for an AP for the $$ savings from not paying for parking. You will also get 10% or more off many items and food purchases. You can also get the TiW card for even MORE savings on food wiht the AP.

You are absolutely right! DH and I priced out the difference and for about $200 (with the discounted room rates - $57/night) we can now stay at Pop Century!!!
We decided it was well worth it to use ME and be on site, vs all the hassle and cost.

:mickey:

Also if you are thinking about park hopping, the parking pass you purchase for the first park is good for all other parks for that day.

Let’s say you start your day at Animal Kingdom, you pay the $14 to park there. Then around 2pm you decide to go to the Disney Studios, you just need to show your parking pass from the AK to park at the Disney Studios on the same day.

[QUOTE=richaimg;1010286]You are absolutely right! DH and I priced out the difference and for about $200 (with the discounted room rates - $57/night) we can now stay at Pop Century!!!
We decided it was well worth it to use ME and be on site, vs all the hassle and cost.

:mickey:[/QUOTE]

YAY!!! I’m glad you got to do that. I absolutely love being chauferred around with Disney transportation, not having to worry about driving, and then the convenience of being able to take a break whenever you please. Glad you got into Pop. It’s a very nice resort.

First of all, there is nothing “awful” about staying off-property. A large percentage of WDW guests do it every day, for a myriad of reasons. Our family much prefers to rent a villa when we travel in a group.
We dislike the Value resorts and would much rather spend our money on some lush accommodations at lower prices.

Secondly, I strongly suggest a car rental also, as one of the best parts of staying off property is the ability to eat some of your meals in places with good food at reasonable prices. Saving money on food is a HUGE perc that is not to be sneezed at! Face it, staying on property means you have to buy everything from Disney.

Traveling in and out of the parks at peak times can mean lots of traffic, so plan on going early or later, or if you’re staying on 192, look for the back entrance by Animal Kingdom instead of the main entrance.

And enjoy your Disney vacation with a full heart! You will have a wonderful time and save some money to boot!

I am glad you are able to do POP century!! It is so much fun! We like both staying on property and not, So we do a week of each, lol! They both have benefits and neither is awful!! At least you are at DISney