Questions Before deciding

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about purchasing a DVC and have some questions, naturally I would contact DVC directly but it being Sunday they are not open, so I thought I would tap into some of the resources on this site. Everyone seems very knowledgable. Here are the questions we still have. Any info would be appreciated…

We are planning to go to Disney World in September of 2006 and in our reseach we thought, why not put the cash we were going to pay for our vaction into the DVC purchase and then we would be utilizing our resources in a better way, but what we don’t know is , If we do this will we be able to use a portion of our DVC points for this september? What would we do with the remaining points left over?

Park Passes, I understand if we purchase a DVC we get a discount on Annual passes for Adults, do we get discounts on regular hopper passes? We are taking my inlaws when we go in September, would I be able to get the annual passes for my family (2 Adults and 2 kids) as well as Hoppers for my inlaws?

I read somewhere that we can “now purchase the dining option” as members of the DVC. Is the dining plan discounted as well?

Is it true that the points we purchase are tax deductible?

Is it better to buy the DVC through Disney or through resale? If resale, who do you recommend?

“Home resort”… I am a bit confused… Do you always have to book at this resort, or is this just the resort you will pay your maintenance fees at? If you decide to book another resort or go somewhere other than Disney is there a transfer fee of some type?

I hope someone has these answers… Thanks for the time!

Hi and Welcome to DC!! :flowers: :flowers:

As to your question, sorry I don’t know much about DVC, but I know you will get them answered on here!

Just wanted to Welcome you!!

Thank you! Looking forward to some answers, I am excited about this new possiblitity!

Welcome to DC! I can answer a few of your questions:

At the moment DVC Annual Passes have a $100.00 off discount for DVC members and their families - however all family members must have the same last name and live at the same address. I am assuming that you could then purchase ParkHoppers (using your AP’s and get some sort of a discount) but am not 100% sure of that.

Personally, I would purchase directly through Disney. We tried the resale route last year when we wanted to buy some more Disney points and were very disappointed. Disney has right of first refusal on all resale points - and they choose to use this option with the points we were trying to buy - avoid the disappointment. Purchase from Disney.

No, you do not always have to book at your “home” resort. Our points are with Vero Beach and we have never stayed there. We have, however, stayed at all the on-site WDW properties and have never had any problem booking these resorts. You do pay your maintenance fees to your home resort. At the moment, I believe, that they are only selling at Saratoga Springs (but I may be wrong).

The Dining Plan is coming to DVC - not exactly sure of the date, but definitely before your planned trip.

Welcome to DisneyCentral!!

If we do this will we be able to use a portion of our DVC points for this september?

You should get points right away but it may depend on your use year.

What would we do with the remaining points left over?

You can bank any extra points and use them next year. You can also rent your extra points to someone. Points are currently renting for $10-12 per point.

Is the dining plan discounted as well?

No, no discount but it’s already a good deal.

Is it true that the points we purchase are tax deductible?

I don’t know.

Is it better to buy the DVC through Disney or through resale?

It depends what you want. Disney is really only selling SSR points right now but you get an extra 10 years to use your points. I think you can buy at other resorts through Disney but they are harder to come by because Disney has to buy them back first.

“Home resort”… I am a bit confused… Do you always have to book at this resort, or is this just the resort you will pay your maintenance fees at?

Your home resort is the resort you will be able to book at 11 months out. You can book other WDW resorts at 7 months out. There is no fee to book at another WDW resort.

That really helps, Thank you so much. I am doing a lot of research and hopefully things will turn out “magical!”

You guys are really up pn your stuff, I think I found a good site to help with my research. Thanks!

Go to:

www.disneyvacationclub.com

You can order a free DVD showing the resorts! :wink:

Currently other resorts are available. I know Vero has just released 2500 points for purchase. This happens when Disney excercises the buy back option.

Dinning Option is now available and making reservations for dinning can be done through the DVC 800 reservation number.

The Annual Pass is a great buy if you are going to WDW more then once. We are going to make it three times within one year. We are also picking up an Annual Pass for two of our kids for reserved trips in June and December.

The resorts are beautiful and well kept and since we had always stayed on the property anyway DVC was the best move we have ever made.

Well, I have to say, it didn’t take much convincing for us to take the plunge. We bought in yesterday. We are very excited and can’t wait for our trip his septmeber. Thank you for all of your help.

Congratulations and welcome home!!

Enjoy and Welcome Home … :smile:

Welcome to DC!

“WELCOME HOME!” and congratulations on your new membership! I just in January after A LOT of research and going back on forth on it. We are so happy with it so far and I am SURE you will be too!

So where are you going to stay in September? We’re doing Boardwalk Villas in August for our 1st DVC trip @ WDW. I am also using my points to stay at the Disneyland Hotel in June. AND to go for a short trip in November at Saratoga Springs!

ENJOY!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!! NO ONE has ever been disappointed with their DVC membership, as far as I can see!!! I own timeshare (NOT DVC :sad: ) and I REALLY wish I did. You won’t regret your decision one bit.

WELCOME HOME!!! :wink:

We had planned to take my inlaws in September. So we decided to stay at OKW so taht we save on our points since we are getting a 2 bdrm. This way we can still do a short trip next year. I am looking forward to it.

Hey Iluvwdw, I see you are counting down to the Atlantis… We went there for our honeymoon, it was great! If you don’t mind me giving you a piece of advice… Get the meal plan ahead of time. The food is so expensive, it makes Disney look like an overpriced McDonalds. Our travel agent recommended it and we were so glad we did it. You cannot purchase once you are there, so give it some good thought! Our dinners would have run around $200 a pop without the meal plan, and that was not for anything extravagant! One day we literally had a boboli pizz and a beer each and our bill was $50! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the advice, scretella!!! We have been to the Atlantis 3 times before and have never gotten the meal plan. We are getting it this year! But with 2 kids (age 4 and almost 1), we aren’t doing the Gourmet plan, we opted for the Modified plan. Which one did you do???

“Welcome Home”! (have you figured out that that’s the DVC catch-phrase?)

You’ll love OKW - the suites are huge! It was the first DVC property and WDW spared nothing in them. Since then they’ve learned how to “cut corners” - the suites in the other properties are beautiful - but aren’t the same standard of OKW.

Hey Iluvwdw, We went to the Atlantis 5 years ago and I can no longer remember which plan we did but , I am sure you will be fine with teh modified one! I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the info on OKW IIama, that is exactly what I have heard, the resorts were the first so they are huge and absolutely wonderful! My inlaws have never been to Disney (Unimaginable) so I think we will be showing them a good time all around!