Questions on Bringing Your Own Stroller

I have a few questions that I’d like some opinions on. In May, DD (a few weeks shy of 2 years old) will be going to WDW for the first time. We are flying down (flight duration is about an hour, nonstop flight).

[B]Anyway, here are my questions:[/B]

1. For those of you that have taken a stroller with you, what kind did you take? (umbrella stroller, the graco-bigger-than-necessary stroller, etc.) If you can recommend a brand/model for me I’d appreciate it. I’m looking to buy a new one before our trip, preferrably one with a cup holder and snack tray. I’m guessing for what it would cost to rent a stroller for a week at WDW, I could buy a nice one to take with us.

2. When I take a stroller on a plane, should I check it with my baggage or gate check it? What are the pros and cons of both?

We have both rented and brought our own. The one we brought with us was a cheap, easy to fold up and carry on, and we brought it with the intention of leaving it behind, for someone else to use, but then wound up taking it with us, because it came in so handy at the airport.

I do know we checked it at the gate, so it would be waiting for us when we got off the plane, it made it much easier on all of us that way.

Buy something small and light, and that reclines for naps. Big strollers do not do well on buses, espically if you have to stand! I would gate check the stroller, that way it will be waiting there for you when you get off the plane. Have a great trip!

1. For those of you that have taken a stroller with you, what kind did you take? My choice is a bigger than necessary stroller. That way you have plenty of room underneath to put you bags and anyother stuff you need for the day! Umbrella strollers are not comfortable for kids and they don’t cover them from the sun very well and they will tip if you have too much stuff hanging from the handles. Make sure the stroller is comfortable and folds easily. I use the babytrend side by side jogging stroller with a swivel wheel. It is big, and only fold in half and we have never had a problem getting on a boat, the monorail or a bus.

2. When I take a stroller on a plane, should I check it with my baggage or gate check it? What are the pros and cons of both?[/QUOTE]
    I would gate check it, but I think I would put it in a big garbage bag if it fits so it won’t get dirty. If you gate check it, it will be right there when you get off the plane waiting for you. Much easier getting through an airport when you are pushing a kid rather than carrying them or having them walk slowly. Plus if you use ME, won’t they take the stroller and deliver it to the hotel? This could take longer than you want.

1. For those of you that have taken a stroller with you, what kind did you take?
    When I went last I bought an umbrella stroller at Target when I got to California and took it with me when I went to NY and Florida. DD liked it ok but it was missing a lot of things that would have been useful (like a basket, drink holder etc). If I had a stroller over here before I left I would have brought it with me but I didn’t need one. DD was 15 months at the time and didn’t like being in a stroller, luckily she changed her mind when we got to Disneyland
    When I got back I bought this stroller:Amazon.com: Kolcraft Contours Lite Stroller Plus with iPod DOK in Cosmic: Baby and she loves it. I think Walmart has them, I got it at the local PX but I don’t think you want to make the drive over here. Its great, pushes well. Im thinking of getting the double stroller from the same company now that I have two.

2. When I take a stroller on a plane, should I check it with my baggage or gate check it? What are the pros and cons of both?
    Gate check it definetly. That way you can use it in the airport and its less likely to get broken/lost (not that it couldn’t be but its less likely). Its also nice to have when you are picking up luggage because it keeps the child contained and easily moved around instead of having to carrying him/her.

Because your child is young, I would take the bigger then necessary so she has a place to nap when she feels like it.

My DD is almost 5, so she doesn’t nap during the day. I bought the $99 Maclaren from Target, and it was great for our last trip. The basket on the bottom was big enough to hold my bag of stuff.

Some nights she did fall asleep in it, but she would fall forward, and I was so afraid she was going to fall out . . . so a reclining one is best for a child that is under 5.

I’ve flown 30x with my kids, and I ALWAYS gate check my stroller . . . it’s the easiest way to do it!

I can not recommend a stroller since I have not had one in quite some time.

I would, however, recommend gate checking the stroller. When we have flown I have seen several parents exiting the plain to have the stroller waiting for them. It seems very convenient to have it through the airport.

I recall once when DS was 1 and I did not have a stroller and I carried him from gate to baggage claim, yeah, it stunk.

We have a MacLaren Triumph which we LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! It’s super lightweight, reclines, has a basket underneath and I bought a accessory that hangs off the back of the stroller that holds our drinks and other things.

We always gate check our stroller. It’s easier to have it right there when we get off the plane.

I highly recommend bringing the bigger than you think is necessary stroller that reclines and has a sunshade, plus a cupholder.

We have a 5 yo daughter and 2 yo twins. We always bring an extra change of clothes, you never know about the water areas, or just plain ol’ kids-are-excited accidents. We still have the diaper bag and bring all kinds of snacks and juice boxes for them. We also can’t leave a park without some sort of purchase that someone would have to carry.

We typically have at least 2 bags, in addition to the stroller, that we bring. We keep it all in bags so that we can easily carry them when we’re on the bus. I’ve never had anyone comment or glare because of our strollers, and our last trip in October, we had 2 of them! People are very understanding and helpful.

As for gate-checking, as far as I’m concerned, it’s the only way to go. I can’t imagine not having my stroller at the airport, especially since we always have connections.

Remember, you can always leave your stoller in the stroller parking area and come back for it when you need it. Just because you bring it doesn’t mean you have to use it all the time, but it’s a real lifesaver for those times that you do need it! But, don’t expect it to be in the same exact location as where you left it when you come back for it! :pirate: I can’t stand the stroller movers!

Best of luck with your decision.

I disagree with the light stroller. We took a double stroller with the basket on the bottom and it had nice strudy big wheels…cupholders, etc. We thanked God we made that choice.The strollers to rent our big nice strollers but being there for 7 days it would have been a little expensive. We would put our toddler and then 5 yr old in it when we really needed to get somewhere or when we were just waiting.

On the bus I was the stroller handler and knew it was bulky and inconvenient but it was well worth the trouble. I did try to sit in the very back so people didn’t have to go around me…but the few times I got stuck in the way people were very gracious and maybe it was b/c they saw I had 2 kids or maybe it was b/c I tried my hardest not to be inconvenient for others (even if it meant me being squished for a 15 minute bus ride).

It had the basket on the bottem, which GREATLY freed us from bags or anything else we brought in or bought while there.

For me…WELL worth to take the nice one for storage area and the ease it manuevered and pushed around the parks.

I can only ditto what most others have said and say definatley bring your own, so much cheaper in the long run than renting and you will find having it with you around the resorts, on route to and from the buses etc priceless. Take a small, compact umbrella style with you, pref one that reclines if you can, nothing too big. Those buses get way cramped at times and anything too big just aids to everyone having a bad journey.
We had a cheap one we purchased literally for this purpose and thought that if it was lost on return journey we wouldnt be upset as it hadnt cost us a lot of money. However, turns out we have used it on 3 seperate occasions now so it has turned out the biggest bargian of them all!

We brought our own- I bought a new umbrella style one prior to the trip at Walmart. It was a cheap, easy to fold up, small, but with a under-basket, recliner, drink holder, and shade. It think is was around $20.

It was similar to this one, but cheaper two years ago:
Walmart.com: Cosco - Standard Stroller, Serengeti: Strollers

We checked it at the gate, so it would be waiting for us when we got off the plane. It was nice to have at the airport.

We saved money buying this instead of renting one, and it was nice on the park bus/monorail to not have to deal with our big stroller.

Another thing is to bring some bright ribbon from a craft store to tie to the handle. Even if you bring your own, there are many similar ones in the stroller parking area. Or if you rent one- that would help identify it too.

[QUOTE=KittieKChick;922946]I have a few questions that I’d like some opinions on. In May, DD (a few weeks shy of 2 years old) will be going to WDW for the first time. We are flying down (flight duration is about an hour, nonstop flight).

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. For those of you that have taken a stroller with you, what kind did you take? (umbrella stroller, the graco-bigger-than-necessary stroller, etc.) If you can recommend a brand/model for me I’d appreciate it. I’m looking to buy a new one before our trip, preferrably one with a cup holder and snack tray. I’m guessing for what it would cost to rent a stroller for a week at WDW, I could buy a nice one to take with us.

2. When I take a stroller on a plane, should I check it with my baggage or gate check it? What are the pros and cons of both?[/QUOTE]

I have a MacClaren and I love it. It was definitely pricier than other models but it is so worth the money. Definitely gate check it. It will make things much smoother.

I would recommend a Baby Jogger City Series Mini. Its not a jogger so thats a misnomer. But it steers well, has awesome recline and hood. We have the double, and although its a little pricey, we love it. It is really lightweight so its easy to get in/out.

I ALWAYS bring my own strollers. Now I bring two (since we drive, it’s easy to do that).

My son is 7 and my daughter is 3 1/2. When we have a FULL day of park touring, I bring the double with us because I KNOW they will get tired later in the day. Both of my kids don’t like to spend all their time in the stroller anymore, but at least I ALWAYS have a spot for them to crash when they’re tired…and they DO get tired! I always have somewhere to keep my bag, jackets, etc.

I bring a Maclaren Twin Techno and a Maclaren Quest. I can’t say enough great things about Maclaren Strollers!!! The Quest is a single, and EXTREMELY lightweight. And so easy to push! the Maclaren Twin Techno is heavier, but lighter than most doubles and fits my big kids just fine. I push over 80 pounds worth of kids in there and it’s no problem whatsoever! It holds 55 pounds per seat.

Renting from WDW can get REALLY expensive, REALLY quick…especially if you’re renting a double.

Good luck deciding!

We’ve done the bigger than you need stroller and a stroller that is a little nicer version of an umbrella stoller. Our youngest was 2 when we made the switch to the smaller stroller, and I’d never go back to a big stroller mostly because we find it very difficult to get on and off Disney transportation with a big stroller. The one we have is a Combi, but it’s been a few years since we bought it. The website (Combi USA Official Website ) seems to have some really nice updated versions. Ours has a decent size mesh basket on the bottom and the newer ones seem to have cup holders for the rider! They all fold up so compactly, and ours has a strap for carrying it on your shoulder if you need to.

We also live in NC, and we drive. I’ve never flown with a stroller, so I don’t have any suggestions on that one. Good luck with your stroller decision!

We’ve also done both the larger and smaller strollers. Since your daughter is old enough, I would recommend finding one of the spiffed-up umbrella strollers everyone is talking about - big enough to have a basket and a small drink holder of some sort, but easily folded up and carried on the bus. You will not regret having the flexibility with the smaller stroller on a crowded bus.
As for checking or gate checking. GATE CHECK! Even a nonstop flight could be diverted, and the gates at Orlando are not close to baggage claim or ME. Being able to put your DD in the stroller right after getting off the plane and walking at an “adult” pace around the airport is a huge help.

I have had 2 target $9 umbrella strollers for 3 trips now, still going strong. I got a newer one when someone took mine from the small world parking area. It was a very common design, so no biggie. I loop a canvas tote bag off the bach for storage. Great for parades too, and folds up for dinner.

Thanks for the tips everyone. DH actually picked out a stroller for us to get. It’s a Peg Perego Aria. It’s more expensive than the Graco strollers… but it is SO much better. Plus, we’d have to add like $40 more than what we would pay to rent one while at Disney.

The one we are getting actually has 2 cupholders that actually hold DD’s cups. I have yet to find a stroller that does that. Plus it has a great canopy to completely cover DD. ANd it folds compactly, only weighs 9 pounds!!! DH is going to be carrying it on and off the bus so I wanted him to be happy with whatever we picked. Good thing he picked it :laugh: