Questions on purchasing tickets separately?

How do things work if you buy tickets separate from your hotel? I have always purchased room, tickets and dining together in a package. We are planning an October trip and I have been waiting to book until a discount was released.

I was considering buying tickets now since I can buy them cheaper through Mousesavers or AAA. Do you then have two cards, one to your room and one for park tickets? Can I buy the dining plan if I am only purchasing a room? Any help is appreciated.

Last trip we took advantage of the 21 day park pass that was only available to UK residents. So Keith organised the hotel room ressies and I did the park tickets myself- they were paper/card tickets not the plastic room key type. I think we got the dining plan because I bought a one day Magic Your Way park pass to be able to get the free dining plan- sounds a bit complicated but really it’s very straightforward.

We go room only almost all of the time and because until this year, we’ve had annual passes, it didn’t matter. But even if you need to buy tickets, you can do the whole thing ala carte instead of buying a package.

We have had a room only discount in the past, so purchased tickets via Undercover Tourist. Then, after check in is complete, we head over to the “Guest Services” line and they are able to add the tickets on your room card. No problems processing that at all.

I believe for the dining plan you have to include room, meal plan, and at least 1 night’s worth of admission.

Yes that’s right, we had the room and bought a one day MYW park pass to get free dining- I do believe Keith did us two separate reservations and two MYW passes to get 21 days free dining still a real good deal considering how long we stay:happy:

We got our room & dining plan together…but are purchasing tickets through SOG (you CAN’T beat the Stars & Stripes ticket prices). Not sure if these can be added by guest services to our “keys to the kingdom” or not…but for almost a $200 savings over best price I could find anywhere else, I don’t mind if I have to carry room keys & park tickets!!!

We have done the S&S tix from SoG and they could not be added. Tried the resort and at the front window. Now that was about 4-5 yrs ago. The system might have changed and they might be able to add them on. Can’t hurt to check.

Going to have to at least ask once :biggrin:

Under almost all circumstances, the only way to qualify for the Disney Dining Plan is to book a Disney resort package. Disney defines a package as a bundled purchase of room + tickets. The ticket purchase doesn’t have to match the length of resort stay; you can buy a package that includes only a 1-day ticket, if you want.

Buying an extra 1-day ticket is worthwhile when there is a promotion for the FREE Disney Dining Plan, but if you are to purchase the Disney Dining Plan, it would be financially unwise to have to spend $85 or so (for a 1-day ticket) just to qualify to pay for the Dining Plan, if you know what I mean.

If you aren’t an experienced Disney traveler, and therefore if you aren’t sure exactly what you’ll be doing in the future, my strong advice is DO NOT buy tickets a la carte. The small discount you might find (maybe $20 or $30 per person) could possibly be dwarfed by the savings you might find with a discounted package deal later on.

Thanks to all of you. You have definitely helped.

We are renting DVC points, purchasing tickets through AAA and the DVC owner has us down for the DDP. Since we are purchasing tickets outside of Disney, will we have to purchase a MYW 1 day ticket in order to keep the DDP??

[QUOTE=hiner;1079939]We are renting DVC points, purchasing tickets through AAA and the DVC owner has us down for the DDP. Since we are purchasing tickets outside of Disney, will we have to purchase a MYW 1 day ticket in order to keep the DDP??[/QUOTE]With the exception of some military promos, the ONLY way to buy the DDP without it bring part of a package is to be an Annual Passholder OR to be a DVC owner staying on your own points. Since you are renting points from a DVC owner, you won’t be eligible for that exception. If you want the DDP, you need to have the owner book a package (room + tickets) for you through DVC Member Services.

And if you’re going to do that, then ditch the idea of buying tickets through AAA, and buy your entire ticket as part of the package … that separate 1-day ticket will cost you $85, and I guarantee that the AAA discount will not be $85 less than the full price Disney ticket.

Dumb question I know on all of this. We rented DVC points this year, bought tickets from Undercover Tourist, and have Deluxe Dining. I got the paper tickets this week. Will they merge the tickets onto our Keys to the world card when we are down?

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1079965]With the exception of some military promos, the ONLY way to buy the DDP without it bring part of a package is to be an Annual Passholder OR to be a DVC owner staying on your own points. Since you are renting points from a DVC owner, you won’t be eligible for that exception. If you want the DDP, you need to have the owner book a package (room + tickets) for you through DVC Member Services.

And if you’re going to do that, then ditch the idea of buying tickets through AAA, and buy your entire ticket as part of the package … that separate 1-day ticket will cost you $85, and I guarantee that the AAA discount will not be $85 less than the full price Disney ticket.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is incorrect. As long as the member orders the dining plan for you, you may purchase tickets from any source.

When renting points, I had to have a seperate key for the room and parks. Many people on here have managed to get them combined once arriving. some cast members claim it can’t be done…other figure it out. Hit or miss situation.

Yes you can, but not at the actual check in. You have to move over to “Guest Services” once you have the room key card. Then you turn over your card and tickets, and they combined them on the room card.

Awesome, we will try that tomorrow. I think it is totally worth not having to carry around the tickets and the cards.

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted this week and let you know how it goes… Get ready for some pics!