Quick Service Dining Plan ?'s

Ok, I have done the dining plan before, but I have not ever tried the quick service plan. We are going for a short trip at the end of the month, and I am trying to convince my men to just do counter service meals. There are four of us, and we are all considered adults in Disney’s eyes. That said, would the quick service dining plan really save us any money? I am just not sure that it would. Of course we will still get in one meal at Le Cellier, otherwise my dh would not go…

So, if anybody has any opinions on the matter, fire away. :slight_smile:

If I were you I would look at a few menus and see what your family would order, add in two snacks each and see if it would save you money. Don’t forget the refillable mug, everyone would get one.

We did the quick service plan a couple of years ago when we did a split stay (so we only had two days worth of credits). I think we came out pretty even. I don’t add the price of dessert in when doing the math since we wouldn’t ever order it if we were paying out of pocket.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1115288]If I were you I would look at a few menus and see what your family would order, add in two snacks each and see if it would save you money. Don’t forget the refillable mug, everyone would get one.

We did the quick service plan a couple of years ago when we did a split stay (so we only had two days worth of credits). I think we came out pretty even. I don’t add the price of dessert in when doing the math since we wouldn’t ever order it if we were paying out of pocket.[/QUOTE]

Yes, see, this is precisely what I was thinking. We would not order dessert if we were not on the dining plan, so that really is not a savings. I did price a few “pretend” meals, and the numbers kept coming up better if we did it out of pocket. So, I actually think out of pocket will work for us. Besides, I am going to be on that mission for Jo-Jo, so who knows, I may even get some discounts as well.

I would maybe do the dining plan if I was hanging around Epcot for several days, the desserts are more interesting there. But I agree with DT, we almost never buy dessert with a CS meal. By the way, I think it’s only one snack this yr.

I thought you said you were working on commission for Jo-Jo…:redface:

I’m hoping you save lots of money, so I can too later this yr. :happy:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1115291]I would maybe do the dining plan if I was hanging around Epcot for several days, the desserts are more interesting there. But I agree with DT, we almost never buy dessert with a CS meal. By the way, I think it’s only one snack this yr.

I thought you said you were working on commission for Jo-Jo…:redface:[/QUOTE]

:blush: No, not commission, just a plain old fashioned mission. I like to have a purpose. :laugh:

You are right, it is just one snack this year.

Don’t forget to add the tax when you are looking at the menus. When I was deciding on whether or not to use the regular plan the tax is what put me over the OOP cost.

Oh, good point.

If you do not ever get dessert I thought I read somewhere you can ask for a bottle of water instead.

Found this information on easywdw.com:

Dessert Substitutions at Quick Service Locations

We have a saying in the online world called “YMMV,” which translates to “your mileage may vary.” Officially, a quick service meal includes the entrée, dessert, and drink. However, you may be able to make substitutions for the dessert portion of the meal, depending on the quick service location and your cashier. Most quick services offer just a couple of desserts, usually in the form of a pre-packaged slice of cake or cookie. You may be able to substitute a bottle of water, kids’ apple slices, frozen lemonade, yogurt, or similar item for the traditional pre-packaged dessert option. Because the Dining Plan is so prevalent now, Disney has expanded the dessert options on many menus to include yogurt and frozen lemonade-type drinks at many location, so substitutions aren’t as much of a hassle as they once were.

Still, you’re not going to see bottles of water on many (any) dessert menus. If you would like to try to substitute an item, simply ask the cashier if it’s possible. You will have the most luck if the item you are substituting either costs the same or less than the item you’re “supposed” to order. Smile, say something like, “None of these desserts sound like they’ll work for us…do you think we could substitute…instead?” There’s no harm in trying and you’ll very likely have mixed results throughout your trip, even if you return to the same counter service, get a different cashier, and ultimately get a different answer.

[QUOTE=lovemysons;1115287]Ok, I have done the dining plan before, but I have not ever tried the quick service plan. We are going for a short trip at the end of the month, and I am trying to convince my men to just do counter service meals. There are four of us, and we are all considered adults in Disney’s eyes. That said, would the quick service dining plan really save us any money? I am just not sure that it would. Of course we will still get in one meal at Le Cellier, otherwise my dh would not go…

So, if anybody has any opinions on the matter, fire away. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh really? And when did you think you would tell me???

All joking aside, I think I would love to try the QS plan. Smaller meals and no reservations = good for the figure and the pocketbook!