Quick service dining?

As we are planning our next trip, we are not sure which dining plan to use. We have used the regular dining the past 2 trips and we both loved it. This time he ( my husband) wants to try the quick service-I am leaning towards it-so we have more time in the parks. I love making ADR’s and planning, so I am afraid this will take away from the “Disney experience”. Any thoughts from those of you who have used the quick service, and from those of you that just want to tell me your thoughts???:laugh:

Well, if you feel it will give you more time in the parks and that is your main focus of the trip then go with the Quick Service. You have done the regular dining plan the last two times so you have gotten your share of sit down meals. Plus you can always splurge one day and make an ADR for one meal. There are plenty of good Quick Service restaurants out there.

We usually use the regular DDP too, but we decided to try the QS plan last August for the same reason you are thinking–so we would have less “planned” time. I worried that our kids would miss doing character meals, but it turned out to be great! I loved that each day was so open for us. I had a general idea of which parks we wanted to do each day, but nothing was set in stone because we HAD to be in a particular park at a specific time because we had an ADR. We liked it so well, that when we went back in December we did the QS again, and we think we’ll do it again this year. I’m sure eventually we’ll want to do the regular plan again, but I think that for the most part we will stick with the QS plan for most trips. :happy: Good luck deciding!

My daughter and I took an impulsive trip a few years ago and didn’t have time to make any ADR’s so we decided to just do counterservice. We decided to hunt out “different” spots and stay away from the burgers and fries route. We really had fun trying to find different places. We had cheese, fruit and baguettes with a glass of wine at La Bouglanerie in France, ate in the beautiful peaceful gardens in Japan, after getting our food at the Noodle House. We love the tuna sandwiches at Columbia Harbour House in the MK - find a seat upstairs by the window and people-watch. Wolfgang Puck Express has wonderful “gourmet” fast food and you can sit at a table outside at the Marketplace - likewise for Earl of Sandwich. For desserts, after dinners, we’d go to the closest bakery (all the parks and DTD all have bakeries) and choose a goodie to take “home” to eat.

I guess what I am saying is that it can be fun, you can try new foods and find unqiue places to eat. Set aside one night for a special dinner. Even by paying for it, it’ll still be way cheaper than having the regular dining plan. And you’re not pressured to be racing to ADRs.

[QUOTE=llama;1014567]My daughter and I took an impulsive trip a few years ago and didn’t have time to make any ADR’s so we decided to just do counterservice. We decided to hunt out “different” spots and stay away from the burgers and fries route. We really had fun trying to find different places. We had cheese, fruit and baguettes with a glass of wine at La Bouglanerie in France, ate in the beautiful peaceful gardens in Japan, after getting our food at the Noodle House. We love the tuna sandwiches at Columbia Harbour House in the MK - find a seat upstairs by the window and people-watch. Wolfgang Puck Express has wonderful “gourmet” fast food and you can sit at a table outside at the Marketplace - likewise for Earl of Sandwich. For desserts, after dinners, we’d go to the closest bakery (all the parks and DTD all have bakeries) and choose a goodie to take “home” to eat.

I guess what I am saying is that it can be fun, you can try new foods and find unqiue places to eat. Set aside one night for a special dinner. Even by paying for it, it’ll still be way cheaper than having the regular dining plan. And you’re not pressured to be racing to ADRs.[/QUOTE]
That’s exactly what we did. We don’t like WDW burgers, and that can get old really fast. Wolfgang Puck Express is our FAVORITE! My girls and I also had quiche one day from La Bouglanerie while the boys had fish and chips from the UK pavilion. We also love Yak and Yeti’s CS. A couple of times this summer we took the monorail from MK to the Contemporary and ate at Contempo. :happy:

We had lunch at Contempo and loved it, the cupcakes are awesome!!!

We are trying out the QS DDP also, only in June. We have used regular DDP in the past and imo I HATE to be restricted on where I’m going. I don’t want to tell the kids no to a ride because our ressie is in an hour and we can’t be sure of getting off the ride and over to the ressie. Granted I’ve only done it 1 yr, while fil and dh did it w/ the rest of the family the past 5 years. Fil was so excited about it that it was a big part of his decision this yr for the trip, that and the deep discount at the mod resorts lol.

We have more freedom to come and go, 2 snacks, and the mug. Can’t beat that. My kids can out eat most adults I know so DDp is worth it to me. Just glad they made up the QS one.

After 1 frantic ride up to Orlando, checking in under the gun, and rushing to HS to make our ressie at the Sci Fi Dine In, I’m HAPPPPY to not do that again. :laugh:

Now…to find out where we MUST eat on this trip…

My main worry is finding something that my 7 year old will eat!!! We will be there for 10 nights. My vision of a quick service is burger and fries!!! Can’t do that for 10 days!! Glad to heat that there are other things out there!!:laugh:

LOTS of things for them. Remember, they will eat when they get hungry enough. It’s nature.

Go to allearsnet and read all the counterservice menus. There are TONS of places to eat that don’t include burgers. Epcot is the best for finding “different” things.

There are TONS of things to eat. though I am banning grapes in the house come mid April. We end up with all kinds of packets of grapes when we’re there. Can’t have the tired of them now can I? lol:laugh:

My main excitement is I need an orange Grand Mariner from France dang it! Too bad I couldn’t fill my resort mug there. :biggrin:

I used the QSDP last February and have it booked again for my August trip. I personally like it more than the other DDP. I like not rushing from ADR to ADR and I like the freedom of just grabbing anything when and where I feel like instead of following a schedule. I find it makes me more relaxed touring this way. I do have a few select must-do tables that I intend to reserve, but it’s bare minimum. Eating a table meal has just become unimportant to me for some reason. Out of 10 days in WDW, I only have 4 ADRs to book and I am totally thrilled with that…lol

Anyone who’s been reading these forums for the past 5 years knows that I love sitting down for breakfast and dinner (and lunch as well, but not always) and that I schedule my meals around EMH and evening shows.
That said, on our last trip, in order to hold costs, we did all but one meal at quick serve places. Over the years, the counter menus have been broadened out so that you won’t be stuck with a burger and fries or chicken fingers and fries.
As always, my first advice is to check out the menus at All Ears and see just which places interest you most. When you do, you’ll find plenty of options available so you won’t be sick of burgers after 5 days.
But, I still would not give up the character buffets for breakfast if your budget can support them.

[QUOTE=llama;1014567]My daughter and I took an impulsive trip a few years ago and didn’t have time to make any ADR’s so we decided to just do counterservice. We decided to hunt out “different” spots and stay away from the burgers and fries route. We really had fun trying to find different places. We had cheese, fruit and baguettes with a glass of wine at La Bouglanerie in France, ate in the beautiful peaceful gardens in Japan, after getting our food at the Noodle House. We love the tuna sandwiches at Columbia Harbour House in the MK - find a seat upstairs by the window and people-watch. Wolfgang Puck Express has wonderful “gourmet” fast food and you can sit at a table outside at the Marketplace - likewise for Earl of Sandwich. For desserts, after dinners, we’d go to the closest bakery (all the parks and DTD all have bakeries) and choose a goodie to take “home” to eat.

I guess what I am saying is that it can be fun, you can try new foods and find unqiue places to eat. Set aside one night for a special dinner. Even by paying for it, it’ll still be way cheaper than having the regular dining plan. And you’re not pressured to be racing to ADRs.[/QUOTE]

You know, that’s a wonderful way to trip through WDW.

I’ll show you an even better way to trip through WDW.
(In a PM:laugh:)

I think we’re going to try the QS plan our next trip too. We love Sunshine Seasons in the Land and Cosmic Rays has great rotissiere chicken in the MK. The hard part is finding kids meals that your kids will eat on the QS plan. We liked to do buffets in the past so DD would have a bigger variety to choose from. Unfortunately at most counter service restaurants the kids meals are limited to “chilled chicken” in a wrap, hot dogs and mac-n-cheese. While my DD likes all 3, she got sick of the same thing at each restaurant. (got real sick of carrot sticks & grapes as sides too!) IMHO they really need to improve the variety of the kids meals.

I agree, I have one that does not like grapes, and barely tolerates carrots… We got sick of eating them off his plate on our last trip… Variety would be good here… although it is not all french fries at every meal, so at least there is some improvement…

Sunshine Seasons in the Land is a great food court, with tons of selections. Especially the grilled salmon.:wub:

But with the QS, they do not tally adult and kids credits separate-they are all grouped together, so they do not have to have a kids meal. Actually it works that way with the regular DDP too.

I don’t think so…on your card it says how many adults and how many kids are in your group. When we used the plan the last time kids meals and adult meals were clearly broken down on our receipts. I think when the dining plan first came out they were clumped together, but not anymore.