Raglan Road- disappointing meal

Just back from a Christmas trip to Beach Club Vilas and had a wonderful trip. The highlight was our Keys to the Kingdom Tour with the best guide, Claire.

The lowlight? Raglan Road… I have been very curious about RR for awhile and was happy to get an ADR for 10 people at the last minute during Christmas week. Should have wondered why :laugh: The service at RR was very good. Despite poor food, the server was very attentive. The bill was well over $200, after the 20% TiW discount. Although TiW automatically adds on an 18% tip, I added onto that since we usually tip 20 % or more for great service.

We were four adults, three teens, and three kids under 9. At WDW, I have never experienced a meal where almost everyone disliked their food. Being the optimist, I enjoyed my goat cheese salad. I think the best choice was the scallop forest (an appetizer served on forks help upright, each skewering a scallop) The chicken and risotto dish was actually inedible and was sent back. When I say inedible, I’m not kidding :blow:

During the meal, noone really said anything about their food, either positive or negative. I guess they were too embarassed to complain (other than my husband’s chicken and risotto which was sent back). Later on, a few people in our party commented about their meal. It turned out that noone like their food! I was pretty bummed out, since dinner was my treat.

When we got back to our villa, I made about 12 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for everyone to snack on- I figure I could have saved about $300if I had thought about doing that before hand :pinch:

Again, our WDW vacation was excellent, and RR didn’t put a damper on it at all. By the way, the beer was good :blush:

Welcome back Leslie! I am glad you had a wonderful trip but was sorry to read about RR. We had an awful meal in the fish and chip shop next door? Can’t remember what it was called but they looked delicious and tasted tasteless! I know good fish and chips too, dont forget we British invented them! These were vile.
Anyway look forward to a TR with photos please? and welcome back.

OMG whew I was holding my breath as I read this …

Sorry the meal was so bad. I’ve never heard of Raglan Road. Where is it located?

It’s in Down Town Disney.

We have always had good meals there. But then again we usuall start w/ a few drafts before and the I always do a scotch flight afterwards. I might not be the best for a food opinion.
But we do have fun. Sorry to hear about your meal.

Oh boy, a trip report is coming?

I am sorry about your experience at RR. We love sitting at that endless bar and munching on appetizers.
We always loved the food there. Maybe it was a new chef, a fill in chef, the good chef had a day off, you just don’t like that sort of food?

Truely a bummer!:frown: So sorry to hear about your experience there.

We love RR and it is a “must do” for us every trip. What did you all order? We usually order the same thing all the time and have never been disappointed. The “Its not Bleedin chowder” - scallops forest - bread pudding - and Guiness of course!:biggrin: I have often wanted to try the salad you mentioned, glad to hear that you liked it.

Maybe as Iris mentioned, it was just an off night. At least I hope so, I will confirm upon on return because its on our list in a few weeks.

@leslieh

Awww if I’d had know you were there I would have love to have said “Hi!”

This Christmas we stayed at the Contemporary . . . it’s was AWESOME!! :wub:

Sorry about RR - I’ve heard mostly good things :frown: Glad the beer was good! :happy:

When we first ate at RR it was amazing, it really did live up to our expectations, and we have a few fussy eaters in the group too! We enjoyed it so much that we made a ressie for the second week of our trip. The second meal though was a huge let down. We ate slightly earlier than the first meal but most of us ordered exactly the same thing. The chips tasted like the previous days warmed up, the fish was dry and the dessert slightly frozen. Service wasn’t exceptional either time.

RR seems to be quite hit and miss as to what kind of meal you will get, we’d probably think twice about making any future reservations there and certainly would not go at all if we did not have the dining plan!

We have never had a bad meal there. Sorry you got a bum night.

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Sorry to hear about RR. We’ve eaten there twice and it was great both times. I hope it was just an off night for them as I was looking forward to going back.

[QUOTE=dixie;1060184]Welcome back Leslie! I am glad you had a wonderful trip but was sorry to read about RR. We had an awful meal in the fish and chip shop next door? Can’t remember what it was called but they looked delicious and tasted tasteless! I know good fish and chips too, dont forget we British invented them! These were vile.
Anyway look forward to a TR with photos please? and welcome back.[/QUOTE]

That shop next door I believe is Cooke’s? My son and I split a fried hamburger earlier in the week which was interesting (in a good way). I’ve only had fish and chips at Epcot and I don’t recall whether they were good or not (after that tall yard…:laugh:)

I think I’ll do a mini-trip report about the Keys tour. No pictures were allowed, though.

:laugh: No worries there… we should have just ordered beer. The kids would have been hungry either way.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1060214]Oh boy, a trip report is coming?

I am sorry about your experience at RR. We love sitting at that endless bar and munching on appetizers.
We always loved the food there. Maybe it was a new chef, a fill in chef, the good chef had a day off, you just don’t like that sort of food?[/QUOT

I think the appetizers were the best choices. If I can drag the family back, maybe we’ll just bring the adults and sit at the bar for drinks and appetizers. I’m thinking the head chef was off for Christmas?

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;1060225]Truely a bummer!:frown: So sorry to hear about your experience there.

We love RR and it is a “must do” for us every trip. What did you all order? We usually order the same thing all the time and have never been disappointed. The “Its not Bleedin chowder” - scallops forest - bread pudding - and Guiness of course!:biggrin: I have often wanted to try the salad you mentioned, glad to hear that you liked it.

Maybe as Iris mentioned, it was just an off night. At least I hope so, I will confirm upon on return because its on our list in a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the scallops forest was the best thing we ordered (and I liked the goat cheese). I asked them to warm it up. I can’t remember exactly what it was, but our server actually steered us away from something on the menu. (???)

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1060273]@leslieh

Awww if I’d had know you were there I would have love to have said “Hi!”

This Christmas we stayed at the Contemporary . . . it’s was AWESOME!! :wub:

Sorry about RR - I’ve heard mostly good things :frown: Glad the beer was good! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Oh Jen- you must have had a great time at the Contemporary! The girls must be getting so big!

We’ll be at AKV for Easter… maybe then?

Uh oh… we are going there again in a couple of weeks. In the past we have enjoyed RR but now I am a little nervous about it. I will have to report back. I am hoping that it was just a fluke.

The first time we ate at Raglan Road it was horrible - awful - almost inedible. Actually my dd’s risotto was inedible. We sent it back too. We swore never to go back. After reading about how it improved we did go back - and it was wonderful. The sticky toffee pudding was so good I could have cried. Then last year we went back again and it was - meh. Not horrible, but not wonderful like the last time and the Sticky Toffee Pudding wasn’t on the menu anymore. Don’t think we’ll be back, after this review. Sorry you had such a terrible meal.

[QUOTE=leslieh;1060339]

I think the appetizers were the best choices. If I can drag the family back, maybe we’ll just bring the adults and sit at the bar for drinks and appetizers. I’m thinking the head chef was off for Christmas?[/QUOTE]

Yes he must have been :laugh:

But, when I have a bad experience at a resort where there are so many restaurants to chose from, why take a chance?