Rainforest Cafe or Columbia Habor House?

OK people. I have an ADR for Rainforest the first day we get to WDW for lunch. We ate there several years ago and I really had no problems with it . I get a free $25 gift card for it so it helps with the cost since it is OOP. My question is would you spend $25 OOP for lunch there ($50 minus $25 gift card) or the heck with the gift card and spend the same out of pocket and hit MK and eat at Columbia? The reviews from MB of Rainforest are not that great but if you were spending the same on eather one , who would you pick?

Hmm… are you thinking the Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom or in Downtown Disney?

I haven’t eaten at either one so I’m probably not much help, but I know that I’ve read overwhelmingly bad comments about Rainforest, and a similar amount of rave reviews about Columbia Harbour House.

That being said, I would hate to be worried about eating if I went to MK on my first day. (I’d be anxious to do other stuff, you know?) I think DTD is always a great place to start the trip because it gets you excited for the parks. You may also be able to relax and enjoy your meal more that way as well, since it’s sit-down but you’re not in the parks itching to get out and play quite yet.

That’s just MHO. Not sure if it really made sense, but…:laugh:

Probably DTD before we hit the parks.

[QUOTE=dznygrl;978756]I haven’t eaten at either one so I’m probably not much help, but I know that I’ve read overwhelmingly bad comments about Rainforest, and a similar amount of rave reviews about Columbia Harbour House.

That being said, I would hate to be worried about eating if I went to MK on my first day. (I’d be anxious to do other stuff, you know?) I think DTD is always a great place to start the trip because it gets you excited for the parks. You may also be able to relax and enjoy your meal more that way as well, since it’s sit-down but you’re not in the parks itching to get out and play quite yet.

That’s just MHO. Not sure if it really made sense, but…:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense. I want to taste the food and not be just itchin to get out and have more fun. Hopefully if we eat at Columbia it will be just so good being there we can handle the wait.

Save the GC for another nite! You might be shopping in DTD and just want a small bite, the apps are HUGE you could get too apps and chill out in the A/C for less then lunch.

Columbia Habor House is yummy and you are in the park … go that route. IMHO! :happy:

There’s no real comparison between the two. Rainforest has a comprehensive menu, is table service, and has a full service bar. CHH is a counter service restaurant with a much more limited menu.
But, given the choice, I take CHH and order the fish.

IMO, the AK location is a lot nicer than the DTD location. I’d suggest going on into MK and eating at Columbia Harbour House. It’s rarely crowded, and you can get in and out quickly. Plus, the tuna sandwiches are great! :happy:

CHH is a very credible counter service place. Nothing special as far as food goes. The decor is nice and the location is prime. But it’s still a burger.

RC is such a production. Lavish decor and so forth. However, the food is not reported to be very good and it migh tnot be worth the money, even with the gift card.

Soooo…

those choices are a tie for me.

Can I ask why your choice is between those two? Can you consider other places?

I would consider the Rainforest Cafe sort of a destination, the Columbia Harbor House is not, it’s a place you duck into when you feel hunger hitting you right in the stomach :wink: - but that’s just my insignificant opinion

[QUOTE=MissDisney;978813]CHH is a very credible counter service place. Nothing special as far as food goes. The decor is nice and the location is prime. But it’s still a burger.

RC is such a production. Lavish decor and so forth. However, the food is not reported to be very good and it migh tnot be worth the money, even with the gift card.

Soooo…

those choices are a tie for me.

Can I ask why your choice is between those two? Can you consider other places?[/QUOTE]

CHH has always been a good bet for fast food that is good. RC like I said we were there years ago without having a bad meal and the gift card helps. We are always open to other places in MK. CHH is just one we seem to always fall back on. It was just the thought of being able to go to eatherone for around the same cost that was making it a toss up.

Just thought I’d add that I am a big fan of Rainforest Cafe. We like to dine at the ones in Vegas and San Francisco. I haven’t established a regular and prefer to be a bit “adventurous” with my order. I really like their wraps. They also have surprisingly good seafood (though my sis did get sick the night she ate their calamari… we aren’t sure it was the food, though). So if you do decide to take the Rainforest Cafe route, don’t be worried. I think people are more likely to post reviews if they are bad - we tend to forget to mention flawless experiences (especially at WDW where everything is magical - the few bad experiences are likely to stand out in one’s mind). I just suggested Columbia Harbour House because when I go to WDW, I know I can’t wait to jump into the parks. But, like others have suggested, you might want to save a day on your pass and just dip your toes into the magic by going to DtD.

Never been to CHH, but we have been to RFC 3 times, and I quit. Each time it’s been bad, the food itself, and I’m just done spending so much money eating there.

Personally, we love CHH, so I vote for it and it’s terrific tuna salad sandwich.

It’s strange because these two places are two very different animals if you will. Personally, I’d eat at CHH. I love that place it’s one of my favorite CS’s on property.
As for the giftcard…don’t chunk it or anything. Go spend that $25 on some cool merchandise in the store at the Rainforest Cafe.

[QUOTE=cinderbella;979094]It’s strange because these two places are two very different animals if you will. Personally, I’d eat at CHH. I love that place it’s one of my favorite CS’s on property.
As for the giftcard…don’t chunk it or anything. Go spend that $25 on some cool merchandise in the store at the Rainforest Cafe.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Bella - Rainforest has some of the best sales at WDW.

I see.

It’s just that the two of them are so different from each other, that it seemed a choice between two far ends of the spectrum.

If it were me, I would choose to spend the $25 gift card on RC merchandise, then run over to Earl of Sandwich and wolf down a “Beef N Bleu” and a beer. That’s just me…

Loud … Rainforest Cafe
Not so loud … CHH
You really can’t compare the menu, RFC is a resturant - resturant , while CHH is a park pit stop … We have eaten at both and we do CHH when we want a good early lunch while at the Kingdom ( Chicken Basket ) , and early dinner while at AK (Chicken Wings/Frosty Beverage) … What they heck, do both !!!:pirate:

If it were me I’d just use the $25. gift card at the Rainforest Cafe bar; maybe a few nice drinks if you guys are shopping around DtD one night alone or something, it’s a pretty nicebar area; or spnd it on merch.

The first day of your trip are you really going to want to go all the way to DtD just to eat at Rainforest then go all the way back to a resort to get to the parks? I am assuming you’d also do parks that day because you said “before we hit the parks.”

CHH is a great counter service location & you’d already be in the MK ready to go. It’s never THAT busy in there so no matter what time you get there you should be able to get a table, etc.

I wasn’t aware you could make ADR’s for Rainforest at DTD. I thought you could for the AK location only.