Rci & dvc merger

just read on allears newsletter about this, well, maybe its more like an agreement, but anyway - i can’t wait to see if i can use my rci at a dvc resort!! so exciting (on my end anyway)!!

Definately not a merger :laugh: Just a way to trade for other vacation destinations.

Not sure how I feel about the switch over to RCI yet, because I have no experience with them OR Interval. I DO know that a DVC trade is like winning the lottery. I know Llama was successful a couple of times (through II) and I think if you go during slow months, you’ll have more of a chance.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I think booking into DVC will be a tough one. RCI will only be able to book points that have been exchanged.

The cost in points for us to exchange under II was too high IMHO. Between 207 and 220 plus the $95 exchange fee. When you can rent those points out for $2k…

I used to own several RCI resorts - all gold crown, red weeks. My history with exchanges within RCI was hit or miss. I know some people have great experiences but mine wasn’t. RCI also has ALOT of low end units.

For more information on how rci and II compare check out this website: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/

I have an II and a RCI account through my Wyndham and my Sheraton Vistana, and you will do very well with RCI. You could deposit a studio and get up to a 3/4 bedroom and some locations. You will hear mixed reviews but I have always traded well with RCI. As you can see, I travel a lot, and got these trades with off season studio weeks. Here are some of my trades:

NOV.
- Bonnet Creek, Orlando
DEC.
- Wyndham Smokey Mountains

JAN - MLK DAY WKEND
- Massenutten, VA
FEB - PRES DAY WKEND
- Shawnee, PA
APR- SPRING BREAK
- Smugglers Notch, VT
MAY- MEMORIAL DAY WKEND
- Ocean Blvd-Myrtle Beach, SC
- Sheraton Vistana, FL
JUN
- Cliffs @ Peace, Los Vegas, NV
- Wyndham Onshore, RI - July 4th

SEP.05
- Royal Mayan, Cancun MX
NOV.
- Orange Lake, FL
DEC.25
- Mirror Lake, Wisc. Dells

Now you will hear people say that the II resorts are more upscale, and some of them are, but I have stayed at some REALLY nice places with RCI.

I get better trades with RCI than I have with II, but every product is different for different people.

For more information on how rci and II compare check out this website: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/

I wonder how this will affect the developer points they offered earlier in the year with buy ins at AKL. We were told we could used them at SSR, Disneyland or through II. Will that carry over to RCI?

im honestly confused. what does this all mean and is there a hugh change i need to be aware of???

You can live your whole DVC life and never notice this change, unless you want to trade your points in to get a timeshare unit somewhere else. RCI and II are organizations through which timeshare trades are made.

Let’s say you wanted to go to Las Vegas…you can deposit your DVC points with RCI and request a resort in Las Vegas in return (doesn’t mean you’ll definately get your first choice). As Richard mentioned, the points required to be deposited are high to get a trade. This is a simplification, but you get the basic concept.

So let’s just say I want to go to Aruba and its 160 pts. Am I using 160 pts and only paying $95 fee?

I checked the DVC member website and 160 points would be a good example for 2008 in a one-bedroom during high season. And yes, you pay the $95 fee. However, RCI can only give you a week in Aruba if someone who owns that timeshare week in Aruba has given it to RCI to trade. It’s not as easy as just calling up and getting a reservation.

So basically its not a good thing??? I called DVC a few days ago and was looking to book Aruba for may and she had it avail so now with the new program it won’t be that easy?

They are just changing the exchange companies. I wouldn’t notice the change, but DVCMIke mentioned in another thread that RCI has Wyndham, while II had Marriott for example.

Because RCI has a points program which allows stays less than a week, I’m wondering how that will work.

One nice thing about RCI is that they have a rating system - Gold Crown is the deluxe, Resorts of Distinction moderates, and member resorts which are the low end.

I traded within Gold Crown and the resorts were nice. I’d stay at GC or RD but not the low end unless I knew something about them. There are some dumpier places.

I think this would be great because we have RCI! Can’t wait for more details.

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;909963]Not sure how I feel about the switch over to RCI yet, because I have no experience with them OR Interval. I DO know that a DVC trade is like winning the lottery. I know Llama was successful a couple of times (through II) and I think if you go during slow months, you’ll have more of a chance.

GOOD LUCK!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah - we have Interval - but I’m not going to lie about how easy it is to get into WDW - it’s not - dh invested in a ski resort in Banff owned by a couple of friends and we always get it through them - trying for a trade on your own is almost impossible now. We did have succes twice, years ago, but I’m sure it’ll be harder than ever now.

Yeah but now you can cross over to RCI. I’m sure Disney points will be a hot commodity for some big exchanges… I think its a good thing.