Realityland

Hi everyone,
I am a little more than half-way through this book and find it VERY creepy! Awesome book so far but creepy!
Being we were just talking about the horrible accidents that have been happening, I got chills reading this right around pg. 141 or so they talk about SEVERAL monorail accidents and issues.
I mentioned I had never heard of these things but apparently, there have been MANY accidents and issues at Disney.
One of our fellow board members posted this review a while back
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/mouse-trap/47526-book-review-realityland.html

There is actually alot of great insider info and lots of happy stuff but some might find it to be a little too much information. I think many of the rides will be seen in a whole new light this time!

Anyone else read this?

No, haven’t read it, and I haven’t even heard of it. Sounds intriguing though.

It is really interesting. I picked it up at the library the other day. It is a little tough to start b/c there is alot of info on the funding of WDW ect… That was kind of boring. :slight_smile:

I am the type who likes to listen to the police scanners, watch bizarre history shows and mysterious happenings. ROFL!
Needless to say, this is up my alley!

Actually, if you were to put up a list of “killer” coasters, it’s really wild how many of them I’ve ridden with no problem or incident. Some of them are even favorites of mine.

Here’s a link to a list of major coaster accidents, along with incidents on major water rides and shows.

Verified Injury Accidents at Theme and Amusement Parks

No park is immune.

I’m ready this book right now too! Picked it up at the Salvation Army for $2! I am almost half way through. I’m in love with this book. When I’m finally able to go to WDW again, I’ll be reading it again before i go.

[QUOTE=zoey9797;987962]It is really interesting. I picked it up at the library the other day. It is a little tough to start b/c there is alot of info on the funding of WDW ect… That was kind of boring. :slight_smile:

I am the type who likes to listen to the police scanners, watch bizarre history shows and mysterious happenings. ROFL!
Needless to say, this is up my alley![/QUOTE]

Wait til you get to the chapter about how many deaths have ocurred inside the park !!! It is a darker look inside the Kingdom (It takes away nothing from my love of WDW) , but it is somewhat shocking.

This is one of my favorite books! It gives a lot of the back story leading up to Disney World being built and I also like to read about the accidents that have occurred. I still love Disney, but this book gives you a new perspective.

I’ve never heard of this one. I’m going to see if our library has it. It sounds interesting!

People need to remember that all those wonderful rides are at their heart, huge and powerful industrial machines made of large amounts of steel and hydraulics.
And the shows all have varying amounts of stunts and heavy machinery that always have the potential to cause pain as well.

Ooooooooo…I have GOT to get this book. I wonder if Borders has it? I always hate going there and not finding the specific book I want.

I got it on Amazon resold it on ebay!

Great book . . . lots of details . . . I laughed out loud when they discussing the exploding toilets at Epcot . . . one lady was blown right off the seat! :laugh::laugh:

Or, what the CMs are REALLY thinking when guests ask the stupid questions?
ROFL! I laughed out loud at that too!

If I didn’t have to drop $120 into my computer over the weekend, I’d order this book from Amazon or Barnes and Noble right now.

Sounds like an interesting read - thanks for suggesting it.

If you like stories about Disney World history I would recommend “Married to the Mouse” by Richaard E. Foglesong. It tells lots of the history leading up to building WDW, especially around government relations, land acquisition, etc. You can get it pretty cheaply at eBay’s Half.com.

This definatly sounds like one I need to add to my Disney Library! Onto the to-buy list it goes!