Recent Riverside stay, anyone?

We are booked at PO Riverside this fall. We stayed there years ago and loved it and my husband insists this is where we have to stay this time. We also have 5 people so this resort will fit our family.

I have been reading some reviews which state the resort rooms are in very poor shape and mousekeeping is dismal. Does anyone have any recent feedback for Riverside?

I hate to say it…in November the room we were in (2709) needed a good cleaning and updating, starting with the tiles in the bathroom and removal of mold :blow:. Housekeeping was almost non existent. We still love the resort, but are not so gung-ho on going back there any time soon, unless we hear of a refurb.

We stayed there in December. While, like Dopey, we enjoyed the resort itself, our room was not as clean as I expect when I’m at Disney. It didn’t seem dated, though, and it wasn’t filthy. I just would have preferred it to be cleaner.

I am torn as to what to do. My husband really wants Riverside, because that was the first place stayed on his first trip and he fell in love with the Resort. I love it too but, if it is icky, I would rather to go with the Beach Club or the Wilderness Villas.

I too have to say we were very disappointed in our last stay there (Oct.). We have made 14 trips to wdw and out of those 14 trips, 13 were at Riverside, we liked it that much. This last trip was so different. Our room could have been cleaner and the grounds them self were very unkept. We think that they (Disney) has layed so many people off that the few that are left just don’t have the time to do a good job. That being said, we are going to stay there again in April. We tried to get into POFQ, but their AAA rooms were gone. We’re only going to be there for 4 nights so I think we can put up with a little disorder. Who knows, maybe they’ve had so many complaints that they are doing a better job.

They’re not going to change anything in a hurry, if no one complains directly to the resort management. I so believe in the squeaky wheel - not ranting but stating what the problems are/were.

@ simplytall - if I had a choice between a moderate and a luxury, I would definitely not go with the moderate. If you’re the one making the arrangements, just say there was nothing suitable available :ph34r:

Money wise we can go either with moderate or deluxe. The last few times we stayed value because the kids like the themeing, but DH and I do not want to go value. He is sentimentally attached to POR. We are already booked, but I think I may have to work on him a bit to stay somewhere else.

I seem to be the exception here, but I just stayed at Riverside January 3-5 with some friends in 2 rooms, and we all loved it. Mousekeeping was great, my room was clean… Friends said the other room smelled like chlorine when they first went in, like some kid left a wet bathing suit on the floor for a day, but I guess that could happen at any hotel.

What section of the resort were you in? YOur room wasn’t worn looking or anything? Maybe some sections are okay.

I think, like Loretta said, they have cut down on employees so much that the ones that are still working, can’t do it all and do it well.
POR is the only resort we ever stayed in and we really love it, but not like that.

I’ll join you in the exception catagory…we stayed there from 11/8-22 in the Magnolia Terrace (Mansions) section…room was adequently clean, nothing fantastic, I think we all have our defintions of what we want from a housekeeping standpoint (as it should be)…we found the grounds to be very nice…the one thing we no longer care for there is Boatwright’s restaurant.

We are staying this year at FQ, only because we want a little bit of a different setting, certainly nothing to do with POR itself, and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

[QUOTE=jerseymouse;1013145]I’ll join you in the exception catagory…we stayed there from 11/8-22 in the Magnolia Terrace (Mansions) section…room was adequently clean, nothing fantastic, I think we all have our defintions of what we want from a housekeeping standpoint (as it should be)…we found the grounds to be very nice…the one thing we no longer care for there is Boatwright’s restaurant.

We are staying this year at FQ, only because we want a little bit of a different setting, certainly nothing to do with POR itself, and would stay there again in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

my definition of a clean bathroom is not to see mildew on the grout and the shower curtain, ewwwww…

We were there the 1st week of december and also noticed that the bldg in alligator bayou (35) was in need of a rehab. They weren’t filthy but they need to be rehab badly. We were surprised that they haven’t done a rehab fo almost 10 yrs now. Maybe they will be doing them in the next two years. The next time we go we are going to stay at the Poly instead.

Ehhh, tell him to get over it, trust me, he’ll grow a sentimental attachment to Animal Kingdom Lodge when he sees the look on your kid’s faces as they nearly look a giraffe in the eye.

I’m with Dopey, tell him nothing at Riverside was available. :laugh: He’ll forget about it as soon as he sinks his body into the deluxe digs.

I have no problems with moderates at all BUT if the room quality isn’t up to snuf lately there is NO way I am spending the expensive Disney resort $ on that, ESPECIALLY if I could afford to do otherwise.

The rehabed Alligaror Bayou in November of 2004, we were there during that time. That’s not quite 6 years.

Hmm…stayed in bldg. 35 a year ago and it was fine. We were in a corner room on the inside of the bldg…(not the parking lot side). We really liked our location as it was near the bus stop. A longer walk to the food court, though. Our mousekeeping was really good. I don’t remember any problems at all. Also, this location was really quiet.

What are the corner rooms like at Riverside? They appear, from the outside, to be quite a bit larger than the other rooms.

I’m sorry that is just NOT OK AT ALL!
For the amount of money we all pay to stay at this resort I think they should be kept up. I understand that the employees are getting laid off, but when prices keep going up, Peak seasons lasting longer and longer, DDP going up, I expect the “little things” like a well vacumed room, to be a must.
I agree I think if more people, in a nice manner spoke up, this hopefully wouldn’t continue.
I love staying at the WDW resorts but at this rate we may have to double think things for next year:crying:

they aren’t larger, they have two windows which makes it feel larger :wink:

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1013216]I’m sorry that is just NOT OK AT ALL!
For the amount of money we all pay to stay at this resort I think they should be kept up. I understand that the employees are getting laid off, but when prices keep going up, Peak seasons lasting longer and longer, DDP going up, I expect the “little things” like a well vacumed room, to be a must.
I agree I think if more people, in a nice manner spoke up, this hopefully wouldn’t continue.
I love staying at the WDW resorts but at this rate we may have to double think things for next year:crying:[/QUOTE]

See, that’s what I mean. Basic things need to be in order. That’s certainly not asking too much.
But, having stayed off site longer than on site, I would prefer to stay with Disney. It makes the whole Disney experience complete.