Refillable Mugs

Just FYI…They just added new machines that tell you how long
your mugs will be available for refills. The new machines also limit
how much soda you can get in 1 hour. No more than 4 fillups in
1 hour. People at the resort were complaining. It says unlimited
refills but that is not really the case. There were people
returning their mugs left and right. They also raised the
price of the mugs to 14.50 each plus tax. It is really getting
out of control. Not even worth it to buy a mug anymore…
considering the only time I would get anything would be
1 cup of coffee in the morning.

Which resort were you at? AS Sports implemeted this awhile back, just wondering which resort it’s at now. Eventually it will be at all, unless a mutiny takes place which may cause Disney to reconsider (although I doubt it)

I can understand the limit per hour, as some people would just dump them into another container and load up. However, the limit is too low. On a 98 degree day, you can drink 4 in an hour easily.

Why not do say 25 max a day, or 20 a day? The 4 per hour, while I hope no one sustains that for a period of time, I could see doing that with a drink by the pool.

A bad idea that sounds great on paper, but bad in practice.

I also think the cap on the refills is kind of crazy. The cups are not that big and if you add ice there is not that much space. They CANNOT advertise them as UNLIMITED when it is restricted. That is something that they will have to change in everything and have the workers remind people at check out. Now it would be nice if every one could keep the sugar high to a reasonable levels.
I did find that since we were at the parks all day we did not get lots of use out of them…plus at a cs meal you get a drink. Though if you are taking rest time at the resort and want drinks then you will get the use from them. We have ours because of the CS plan and would get that same one again…and still enjoy the mugs…if they figure out what to do with them.

I liked the cups when they were personalized to the resort. I have a set that includes every resort we have stayed at including the old Dixie Landings.

I also get a coffee or two in the morning and that is about it. Not much of a pop drinker so that didn’t bother me and they do not honor them at the bar for scotch so there you are!

I do think if it says unlimited it should be, but I have to admit, with the abuses we all have seen four an hour seems like a good faith attempt by Disney. I am sure they will fine tune it if enough people complain.

-Harry

[QUOTE=lasallemom;1093382]I also think the cap on the refills is kind of crazy. The cups are not that big and if you add ice there is not that much space. They CANNOT advertise them as UNLIMITED when it is restricted. [QUOTE]

I smell a class action lawsuit. Instead of the appliance bimbo ads it will be ads for “unlimited” refill mugs.

“Were YOU wronged by Disney when they sold you a bill of goods for an “unlimited refill mug” that left you thursty and hurt. Call us now for CASH, CASH, CASH. 1-866-drink this walt.”

LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am glad I buy a case of bottled water at the Super WalMart off the Osceola Parkway exit whenever we head up there.

We used to buy the mugs when they were resort specific for the same reason others have. Since Year of a Million Dreams we gave up and now seeing this I am all the more inclined to just say NO!

[QUOTE=Jennatrz;1093375] Not even worth it to buy a mug anymore…
considering the only time I would get anything would be
1 cup of coffee in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Ain’t that the truth!
For me, I’ve never really felt it was worth it. The mugs I have came as part of deluxe dining, and I had so many unused Million Dreams mugs and they were active for so long, that I was able to give them as Christmas presents. (Yes, that means we brought our used pair back several times, but those old mugs represented the new mugs that we wanted to keep clean)
I have one set of the red ones (the current previous design) that I have finally gotten a little extended use out of. That means a couple cups of coffee and a couple mugs of iced tea (since the switch to Gold Peak). I’ve only taken a mug with me to the park once, and after I drained it, it was a royal pain until I got back to the room.

Knowing that they’ve changed designs, I’ve decided that we won’t buy a set for this trip because we will never get enough use out of them to justify the cost. Especially when I’m bringing 3 2 liter bottles on my home brewed iced tea and I can bring my coffee from home and make it in the room (still have to boost sugar and creamers from the food court though).

I have to agree. For me the mugs are not woth it. I am not a big soda drinker but I love coffee and tea. I do not like the coffee they have at the food courts(I really need to bring my own) but I do like the tea and glad they offer that now.

[QUOTE=KingOMiami;1093395]LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am glad I buy a case of bottled water at the Super WalMart off the Osceola Parkway exit whenever we head up there.

[/QUOTE]

The one right when we get off the Turnpike, or the one at SR 535 that backs up to Osceola Parkway?

We’ve never purchased the mugs, never thought we’d get the use out of them. But really, who drinks that much soda anyway…4 in 1 hour is a lot in my book.

I think they should also have “All the beer you can drink” mugs.

We know.
You AND Wall keep saying this. You’re like a broken record.:tongue:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1093426]We know.
You AND Wall keep saying this. You’re like a broken record.:tongue:[/QUOTE]

Dude, if you say anything enough times, it will come true.

“Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary”

(with worchestire sauce)

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1093429]Dude, if you say anything enough times, it will come true.

“Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary”

(with worchestire sauce)[/QUOTE]

You forgot to click the heels of your ruby slippers together three times.

I thought the same thing. Four refills in an hour really should be plenty. However, with the limit in place, I do believe that they should change the wording on the “billing”.

Four refills should be enough, unless you’re really thirsty and drinking iced tea, which generally needs more ice to cool it as well as to cut the over sweetness of the undiluted tea. When really thirsty, it is very possible to go through four refills.
One more thing to keep in mind, tea does not cause nearly the amount of bloat soda causes, simply because it isn’t carbonated.
Final thought, Disney mugs are nowhere near the size of today’s “large” beverage. They are probably not even equal to a McD’s medium.

Breaking News!!!:

I decided to do a little experiment/observation. I took one of my red mugs (last year’s model) and filled it with water almost to the top.
The standard Disney mug holds about 14 fluid ounces of liquid. That’s a little bit bigger than a regular drinking glass.
That certainly is smaller than the 20 oz. bottles that are sold in parks and resort machines.
The funny thing is, guests with paper cups are also allowed unlimited refills during that visit. But there is nothing to prevent a guest from reusing that paper cup at the food court later that night.
So what’s up with that? Are they going to try to limit refills on those as well? And how?
Short of having beverage dispenser monitors, this sets up more silliness.

This is blowing my mind. How does the machine know how many times you’ve refilled and how long your stay is?

I think the 4-per-hour rule is reasonable, but I’ve only gotten a mug once and I only used it for CS meals at the hotel (we weren’t on a dining plan, so it did save us money on beverages!). I never got more than one refill, so the rule wouldn’t hold me back if I were to get a mug again. But I definitely agree that the word “unlimited” needs to be removed.

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1093443]This is blowing my mind. How does the machine know how many times you’ve refilled and how long your stay is?
[/QUOTE]

RFID chip or bar code scanner. That part’s easy