Rental Car and Tolls

So, I had been asked by SIL if I would like to go with them to Disney next week to be like a “tour guide” to them and a family who has never been there before. Twist my arm!!! Well, this will be a new experience, as they are staying off site. I called the resort, and me being the spoiled Disney Transporation kind of gal I am, no way am I paying $9 for a bus ride to Animal Kingdom that only leaves at 11:30am. Rental car time, for the first time! My question is we are renting from Thrifty. It says you don’t have to worry about tolls if you pay $6.99 a day for the entire time you have the car. So, that’s $42.00! No way do I want to pay that, but in their disclosures, it says that some roads in FL don’t have a separate pay booth, and if you drive through the express, they will slap you with a $25.00 penalty.

Is there any tolls from the airport to over by Downtown Disney where we would not have access to a pay booth?

We pay tolls from Orlando International Airport to POR I think there is one or two, probably two?
My DH went through once and they fined Dollar and then Dollar fined us $25.00 for 75 cents toll- ouch, wont be doing that again!

But there were pay booths at each toll- he just went through the sun pass or whatever its called by accident.

From the airport, all standard exits have staff. I have been to the airport several times. Also, there are signs for exits that say “Sunpass only, no staff on duty”. But not on main exits that you would need. Seems to be a waste of pay for sunpass

Don’t get the toll package. It’s a total rip. You need it for the ride back and forth to the airport only. It’s like $3-6 TOTAL. Otherwise stay off the toll roads.

You can actually go to the grocery stores there and buy a prepaid pass card.

Do it the easy way. Take some bills and keep a couple bucks in quarters.

But if you “miss” one, you can actually send in the toll with you license plate, date and time. I’ve never had a problem doing that.

Or you could black out the license, but the duct tape would cost more that the tolls, and would be a little hard to explain to the cop who pulls you over. :angel::whistling

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1093144]So, I had been asked by SIL if I would like to go with them to Disney next week to be like a “tour guide” to them and a family who has never been there before. Twist my arm!!! Well, this will be a new experience, as they are staying off site. I called the resort, and me being the spoiled Disney Transporation kind of gal I am, no way am I paying $9 for a bus ride to Animal Kingdom that only leaves at 11:30am. Rental car time, for the first time! My question is we are renting from Thrifty. It says you don’t have to worry about tolls if you pay $6.99 a day for the entire time you have the car. So, that’s $42.00! No way do I want to pay that, but in their disclosures, it says that some roads in FL don’t have a separate pay booth, and if you drive through the express, they will slap you with a $25.00 penalty.

Is there any tolls from the airport to over by Downtown Disney where we would not have access to a pay booth?[/QUOTE]

On roads that don’t have human toll collectors, they take your car’s picture and then send a notice to the registered owner.
In the case of a rental car, that’s not you.
Now, the rental company could bill you after the fact, but I have a feeling that in practice, they pretty much eat the small tolls.
All of the highways in Dade County (Miami) are unattended at this point, so they send out plenty of letters asking for the dollar or whatever.
I have a Sunpass, so I can drive through these tolls without stopping and if it doesn’t register for any reason, I simply get notified that I need to change my batteries and that my account has been charged for the toll, based on my license plate number.

You could always simply pick up a Sunpass and activate it. They only cost a couple bucks (perhaps $6.99) and Sunpass drivers pay lower tolls than cash drivers. They’re available at Publix and Walgreen’s and probably even at airport gift shops.
Even not living in Florida, I’d buy the Sunpass if you’re planning on driving around Orlando between WDW, the airport and downtown, or if you’re planning on driving out to the beach. If you do leave extra money on it, that money is still there for tolls on future visits.

My own experience with driving through one of these automated toll barriers without money in a rented car came outside of Toronto with a car we rented from Alamo (I think). I went through several tolls without paying and I never heard about it. Perhaps the Province of Ontario didn’t feel it was worth pursuing a US registered car or perhaps they didn’t want to pursue a US rental car because it’s more effort than it’s worth.

Correction: If I read this right, Dollar is the one charging the $25 fine, not Orange County or the State of Florida. It could be that Dollar is using this as an additional hidden revenue stream.

Second correction: If you are driving on a road that has both manned and unmanned toll booths at your exit or main roadway toll barrier and you drive through an automated lane without a Sunpass, you WILL be fined.

https://www.sunpass.com/index

Florida’s Turnpike begins Toll-by-Plate in Miami-Dade - first step to AET | TOLLROADSnews

Florida’s Turnpike made the first step toward implementation of all-electronic toll (AET) operations with the beginning of toll-by-plate midnight Monday night (2010-10-11) on the southern 47 mile (76km) stretch of the Turnpike in the Miami-Dade area. Known as the Turnpike Extension (previously HEFT) from Mirimar looping a bit west and south to its end around the edge of the Miami Dade metro area it ends in the Florida City/Homestead area. Mostly 6 and 8 travel lanes the Miami area Extension contains four mainline toll points (one a split plaza by direction, so arguably five) and 33 ramp tolls.

Cash collection continues for the moment, and the present plan is to continue that through to some point in February 2011. On one designated day at a designated time all the cash toll booths will go unstaffed and their approaches are barricaded off. That will be about four months from now, masking this southern section of the pike cashless or all-electronic toll (AET).

No sign of cash collection a year hence

By about this time next year all signs of traditional cash toll collection are likely to be gone.

The Monday midnight change ends the practice of defining use of a electronic toll (brand SunPass) lane without a transponder as a “Violation.” Cameras which were previously generating a violation notice as of midnight started generating a toll bill. The bills which total up trips over a 30 day period will include a $2.50 TBP administrative fee added to the amount of the tolls due. Actual toll rates for TOLL-BY-PLATE are the former cash tolls which are at a premium - usually 25c - more than SunPass.

The Turnpike is encouraging motorists to sign up for a transponder (SunPass) with a focussed advertising effort. ‘SunPass Mini’ with an eGo sticker tag from TransCore is virtually free for the motorist - $4.99 upfront but with an equal toll credit when first used. SunPass tags are available online at www.sunpass.com, by telephone at 888-865-5352 (TOLL-FLA) at Publix, CVS, Navarro, Sedarno’s stores, AAA, many gas stations and Turnpike service plazas.

Recent SunPass usage in this Miami area has been 76% of transactions overall and over 80% in peakhours.

Toll bills not violation notices with no transponder

The toll bill instead of a violation notice goes out in the mail to motorists is found by reference to motor registry databases based on the camera reads, automatic optical character recognition and operator image review.

This applies at roll-through single lanes (signed for 25mph) still remaining at regular toll plazas, and also at the mainline plazas with open road tolling - now three of the four.

There’s more to read, but the bottom line on this is, if you are heading into Dade County exclusively, don’t waste the money the rental company wants to charge you.

Yes it was Dollar who fined us.

Bottom line, if you’re planning to drive around Florida and there are toll roads you will need to use, just get a Sunpass. It will save you time, money, and aggravation.

And don’t worry that you’ll be using it in a rental car that doesn’t have your personal license plate on it.
So long as the battery is fresh and money is loaded on it, there won’t be any issue.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1093320]Bottom line, if you’re planning to drive around Florida and there are toll roads you will need to use, just get a Sunpass. It will save you time, money, and aggravation.

And don’t worry that you’ll be using it in a rental car that doesn’t have your personal license plate on it.
So long as the battery is fresh and money is loaded on it, there won’t be any issue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I always thought Sunpass was probably for Fla. residents or US residents.

Goodness Gracious i’m so glad we don’t have toll roads. Whew, that made me dizzy… :wink:

We just averaged $14.00 each way for tolls heading to NJ for a wedding 2 weekends ago. I have grown to hate tolls on I-95 now that I have been in SC dor 22 years.

Going back to the first family trip to DC from North Jersey all the way back in 69, I have never been a fan of the tolls on 95 between the Delaware River and the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Some of those tolls were always ridiculous.
As for the NJ Turnpike, well, that’s a different case.

But before you complain too much, even with a Sunpass, it costs me about $13 each way to drive to WDW from north Broward County.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1093406]Going back to the first family trip to DC from North Jersey all the way back in 69, I have never been a fan of the tolls on 95 between the Delaware River and the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Some of those tolls were always ridiculous.
As for the NJ Turnpike, well, that’s a different case.

But before you complain too much, even with a Sunpass, it costs me about $13 each way to drive to WDW from north Broward County.[/QUOTE]

Pure crazy.