Rental car idea!

DD and I are going to be at WDW, arriving July 18 departing July 24. Flying is pretty expensive for two, so we’ll be driving. We’ll use WDW transportation while we’re there, so we really won’t need a car the whole time…

SO, I checked into it and i found out on Mousesavers that we can rent a car here in St. Louis, drive straight through to our resort (A-S Movies). Then we can return our car to one of the Alamo/National on-site car rental facilities. They provide a shuttle to and from the resorts. When we’re ready to leave, we can call Alamo/National and they will send a shuttle to the resort, take us to their facility and we can rent a car for our return. That way, we’re only paying for two or three days of car rental instead of eight or nine.

Whatya think?

MouseSavers.com - Renting a Car After Arrival in Orlando

It sounds like a great idea. Just so you know, I’ve delt with the Alamo/National rental places at Disney and they are great to work with.

If I can have a car I’d probably keep it. I like wdw buses but sometimes a car (groceries, after fireworks, resort to resort trips) can pay forvitself.

[QUOTE=phayes93;1077320]DD and I are going to be at WDW, arriving July 18 departing July 24. Flying is pretty expensive for two, so we’ll be driving. We’ll use WDW transportation while we’re there, so we really won’t need a car the whole time…

SO, I checked into it and i found out on Mousesavers that we can rent a car here in St. Louis, drive straight through to our resort (A-S Movies). Then we can return our car to one of the Alamo/National on-site car rental facilities. They provide a shuttle to and from the resorts. When we’re ready to leave, we can call Alamo/National and they will send a shuttle to the resort, take us to their facility and we can rent a car for our return. That way, we’re only paying for two or three days of car rental instead of eight or nine.

Whatya think?

MouseSavers.com - Renting a Car After Arrival in Orlando[/QUOTE]

so you would drive it to orlando turn it in and then rent one for the ride home… and they are ok with that cool. i think we will look into it… this way less wear and tear on our car . i wonder the cost.

Are there additional fees for a one way rental? I know that one year when we flew into Tampa (to visit family first) and then flew home out of Orlando, it was considered a one way rental b/c we didn’t return the car to the same facility that we rented it from. There was definitely an additional charge for that, b/c I recall the extra fee eating up every bit of what we had saved by flying into Tampa instead of Orlando. You should probably check what that fee would be, but hopefully you’d still be able to save money if you really feel like you wouldn’t use the car at all during your stay.

Ditto. Same thing with us renting from St Louis to LA. Rental was RIDICULOUS because we didn’t return it from the same place we rented it from.

Wow…you are right about the one-way rental fee! National wants a little over $200.00 from STL to WDW - for just one day. I’ll try Alamo, but I can’t imagine they’re much different… Oh well, back to the drawing board! :crying:

Oh thats such a shame, because it was a great idea. I know when DD was living in Europe, single flights were astronomical yet return flights were way cheaper. Its not a great thing to do but as a student she used to book return then not show. I know you can’t do that with cars though but I’m sorry that didn’t work out for you.

The one-way rental charge ended up being nearly as much as a round trip would have been. We’ll be taking the Chrysler Town & Country van…mileage is so-so, but at least no rental fee!

I had priced out all the rental car companies, using Mousesavers codes, Sears and AAA codes. Turned out Hertz (believe it or not) was the cheapest and we were able to pick the van up around the corner from home in lieu of an airport.

You may want to keep the car the entire time and use it since you (and us) will be there in the middle of July and who knows what the crowds will be like.

I rentrd a car with Alamo 2 years ago and it was great! But if you can swing the cost, you may want to have the car while you’re on property. It is nice to have the choice to drive off property and also it is often quicker at night when everyone is tired and sweaty to get right back as close to your room door as you possibly be. Just a thought!

Sorry that didn’t work out for you. I have seen special rates offered for one-way rentals, so you might want to keep checking occasionally. If you trust your Chrysler to get you there, that’s probably your best option. Plus, as others have said, you might be surprised to find that you like using the car while there. We love Disney transport and were always perfectly happy using it…until the first time we rented a car. There are times when driving to the parks is really convenient.

It is often cheaper to rent the car for 10 days straight than it is to rent in two 3 day segments, and if you are renting one way, be prepared for a nice one way rental fee.
Several times we took coaster expeditions that started at one airport and ended many states away. When compared to round trip rental where you return to the same airport, it adds quite a bit to the price.

If I where you I would really hold on to that car. Nothing better then havinh your own wheels to gp arpund wdw, expecially if u are staying at asmr. That bus hardly ever came om time and when it did show up it was.always packed.