Renting a Car in Disney? Yes or No?

Ok. Here is the question. Do you think that the rental car place inside Disney property charges more to rent a car then renting it at the Orlando airport?

I love not having a car there. Disney transportation is part of the deal/fun for us. Of course I have to say, we only travel to Disney in November and once in January-it isn’t that busy then, the busses are always there when we need them and of course we never mind taking a cab to wherever we need to be for an ADR.

We take Quicksilver from the airport to the resort and back

We normally drive down and then park our car once we’re there. We never pull it out of the parking lot again until we’re ready to make the drive back home. Is there a compelling need for you to have a rental car down there? The Disney Transportation system is amazing!

We almost never rent a car when going to WDW, but a couple of years ago we had to for some things we had to do offsite for a few days. We rented it from Alamo at the Dolphin and it was the exact same price as renting it from the airport would have been. We also had a coupon code which made it even cheaper.

We ALWAYS rent a car when we go, it is a must for us! With three little kids, I like the freedom of coming or going on our schedule rather than waiting to be on theirs! Plus, we always make a walmart stop for Wine, beer, water, milk, diapers and some snacks!

The rental co (car care center) at Disney is ALWAYS more expensive than at MCO (in all of my prior findings , as well as our upcoming trip in October). The difference is usually very substantial!

Gee, that’s funny: I heard recently from some other Disney people that they paid much less at the Disney car rental that the prices at the airport. I think it may be a recent change, due to the HUGE price increases in rental cars in the last few months.

But I have to have a car. I really hate the busses with a passion. Love the boats, hate the busses. I would much rather get in my own car and come and go at my own leaisure than wait in crowds for one more thing. Plus, I like the freedom of leaving WDW when I want.

[QUOTE=ddoll;988111]Gee, that’s funny: I heard recently from some other Disney people that they paid much less at the Disney car rental that the prices at the airport. I think it may be a recent change, due to the HUGE price increases in rental cars in the last few months.

But I have to have a car. I really hate the busses with a passion. Love the boats, hate the busses. I would much rather get in my own car and come and go at my own leaisure than wait in crowds for one more thing. Plus, I like the freedom of leaving WDW when I want.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way you do Debi, but I can’t get my dh to rent a car. :glare:

[QUOTE=ddoll;988111]Gee, that’s funny: I heard recently from some other Disney people that they paid much less at the Disney car rental that the prices at the airport. I think it may be a recent change, due to the HUGE price increases in rental cars in the last few months.

But I have to have a car. I really hate the busses with a passion. Love the boats, hate the busses. I would much rather get in my own car and come and go at my own leaisure than wait in crowds for one more thing. Plus, I like the freedom of leaving WDW when I want.[/QUOTE]

Just checked last week and my minivan at MCO is still $375 but through car care center $900! Others at MCO are quoting $750

Unless Iam at a monorail resort, I rent a car!!!
I hate taking the busses, like to come and go as I please and not wait on busses!!! Especially with early morning ADR’s!!!

I always use Alamo too.

Now I usually pick up and drop off at MCO.
One time I had to pick up at the car care center in MK.

Now, I thought their was an airport fee you pay for picking up or dropping off at MCO?
I thought it would be more $$ that way.

I like the airport pick up cuz there is usually more choices in cars!

A rental is a MUST for us too! I love/have to be able to come and go as i please. Yes I have control issuses :laugh::laugh:! Plus we go into town and buy waters and snacks,for the week, way cheaper than on Disney property.
As for what place is cheaper?? You can go on the Orlando airport web site, and price out the rentals.
The rental area is right across the street from where you would normally get on the Disney bus. It’s really not that much of pain,really quick too…I think :closedeye
If you go on mouse for less.com they have pretty good coupons for rentals too. Also if you are a AAA member you get a discount on certain rental companies.
I book my trips threw AAA, so I also get the Diamond Pass parking.
Good luck!!

After renting a car a few trips back, we have since always rented one. We also like the freedom of being in control of our own transportation, and with 3 kids and a stroller, it’s a lot easier to load/unload. DH hates taking the stroller on the busses. As was also previously said, we get the AAA Diamond parking voucher, which keeps us close to the park entrance.

When I was price comparing for our trip a few weeks ago, I found that one week the Disney Car Care Center was more expensive, one week it was the same, and then another week it was cheaper. I think you just have to check and compare (& check back) to find the best deal. But it’s definitely not always more expensive. I actually had it booked there the week that I found it was cheaper, but we ended up flying into Tampa to visit family first for a couple of days, so we picked up the car in Tampa.

Also check out Mary Waring’s info on mousesavers. She has coupon codes and a huge wealth of information.

no rental car for us…take limo with 30 minute stop over for shopping …never leave the grounds…have been doing this for 19 years now…but if you want to rent one keep checking different hotel web sites for rental cars …in the past when I have had to rent one they had by far the best rates …as much as 50% off …

[QUOTE=tinker2222;988143]A rental is a MUST for us too! I love/have to be able to come and go as i please. Yes I have control issuses :laugh::laugh:! Plus we go into town and buy waters and snacks,for the week, way cheaper than on Disney property.
As for what place is cheaper?? You can go on the Orlando airport web site, and price out the rentals.
The rental area is right across the street from where you would normally get on the Disney bus. It’s really not that much of pain,really quick too…I think :closedeye
If you go on mouse for less.com they have pretty good coupons for rentals too. Also if you are a AAA member you get a discount on certain rental companies.
I book my trips threw AAA, so I also get the Diamond Pass parking.
Good luck!![/QUOTE]
I wonder if the price for cheaper water is worth the price of renting a van for hundreds of dollars

To us, taht’s just an added bonus, the car is way more conveinent, especially with kids! As they grow, that may change! We had two sick kids last trip, and had to go to the walk in clinic and then to CVS, that would have been sooo much more of a disaster w/o that car!

LOVE the freedom of being chauffeured around by Disney transportation. When we drive to Disney, the car stays parked from the first day until it’s time to go home. I guess it’s what your priority is. Around here at home, driving is very stressful, as roads are crowded 24/7, and the personality of this area is agressive, so not having to worry about driving is just an added bonus to my vacation.

I was thinking the same thing! If I’m staying on Disney property, then I have no reason to rent a car. Disney makes it so convenient to go from place to place without a car and it’s much less of a hassle. It’s one of my fav parts of taking a Disney vacation. Unless you have to go off property enough times that a taxi is out of the question, then save your money on a rental car and take the transportation that’s provided.

We love having both. We use the rail for those parks & DTD buses. For the others we like to drive since we’ll split days with BB & AK or TL & HS. Find it really hard & extremely time consuming to do that with buses. One year we did AK in the am, BB in the afternoon & HS in the eve. Spent well over an hour relying on buses to transfer. Did the AK/HS switch another and only took less than 15 min.

I wonder what you are renting to coast you hundres of dollars? We rented a SUV for $195.00, after all the dicounts!
And I agree the whole stroller thing :blow:.I can’t stand shlepping stuff onto a bus, not for me!

For us, we are on vacation, we like having Disney chauffeur us around. Sometimes the buses work great, other times not so much. But it is so nice to have somebody else do the driving!