Renting points

I am curious, how many MB’s rent points? Can you do this and not be a member of DVC? Someone fill me in?

Yes I just rented points 2 times so far. I found it easy and no, you do not have to be a member. I will say from now on I will probably rent points(if all goes well and so far it has) when I take a Disney vacation. It is cheaper the booking one of the other resorts on Disney property(depending on which days you book), Friday and Saturday is always more points. I will be going to my first resort from renting points in September,so I am excited.

I have rented points twice now. No, you don’t have to be a DVC member to do it. You rent the points from a DVC member. They book the reservation in your name and you pay them for the rental. It works out pretty good. I am renting points this time again and am very much looking forward to another stay at OKW.

Ive done this the last 3 trips Ive taken. For example, Wilderness Lodge Villa, Sun-Thu in January 08 was 158 a night for a Studio. Old Key West is 104. I have a person I deal with, If you want His email please pm me.

When you rent points, can you get a dining plan and MYW tickets, etc…? Are the dining plans and MYW packages the same price as if you booked a hotel room instead of renting points?

You can ask the member to get the dining plan for you.

It’s fairly easy and you can go to the MB DVC Corner and they can answer any questions you have.

This is the first time my family and I have rented points, if all goes well in November staying at SSR. I am pretty sure we will be renting points again!

We rented points before joining DVC. It was an affordable way to enjoy a DVC room and a deluxe resort.

There is some risk involved since this is a private deal between you and the member so do your homework before renting from anyone. Disney will not get involved if something were to go wrong and you cannot call Member Services and check on your reservation. I believe the risk is part of what keeps the cost down a little. I rented from my best friend, and two members of MouseBuzz before we bought our own points and everything went as planned.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;862552]We rented points before joining DVC. It was an affordable way to enjoy a DVC room and a deluxe resort.

There is some risk involved since this is a private deal between you and the member so do your homework before renting from anyone. Disney will not get involved if something were to go wrong and you cannot call Member Services and check on your reservation. I believe the risk is part of what keeps the cost down a little. I rented from my best friend, and two members of MouseBuzz before we bought our own points and everything went as planned.[/QUOTE]

You can call and verify the reservation. Member services is only allowed to answer “yes” and “no” questions in regards to the reservation. I read my dates and that I have DDP and they said “yes” to acknowledge it. I start the coversation off with “I know you aren’t allowed to give me details, but I just want to verify my reservations”…they will comply and have the two times I rented. It wasn’t mistrust in the person I rented from…it was me being careful WDW didn’t make a mistake. Imagine going all the way from Jersey only to find I didn’t have a room or something insane like that?? I call…

Oh wow dana, thats a good point. I may try that. Again not that I don’t trust the person I rents from but just making sure Disney got it right.

I don’t think they are supposed to talk to the renter but you may get a CM who will tell you if everything is there but don’t count on it. They used to talk to the renter but I believe that changed a couple of years ago to cut down on the calls MS was getting.

We have never thought about renting points,:redface:but we are going down in early December (8-13). Checking out on the 13. What would that work out to be? There are 4 adults and 2 kids 11 and 13. I guess for OKW or SSR:confused:

You may be too late for this year, the resorts book quickly at that time of year. It’s tough to get in to some of the resorts even at 7 months out. You would need a 2 bedroom with 6 people. You could try it but it’s a very popular time for DVC members because of the low points and holiday decorations.

I am a DVC member who rents points.

As several have said, it can be a great savings. It does involve a certain amount of trust but there is no reason to be worried too much about it.

You will get a written confirmation of your reservation, which is in YOUR NAME from the DVC member services via the member.

Some people have a formal rental agreement. Some don’t. I generally document everything by email. I also require credit card payment at the time the reservation is made. This provides a level of protection for both of us. If you don’t get the written confirmation, you can call your credit card and challenge the charge. If I can’t prove that I deliverd the reservation in accordance with our agreement, you get your money back. And I know immediately when I make the reservation that I’m getting paid.

You get all of the same perks that the member gets when staying as a guest of the member. That includes being able to book the DDP without a lodging/MYP tickets package, discounts on dining, discounts on tours, and discounts on activites such as boating.

It’s a real win-win situation. We get more value than exchanging points through DVC for other vacations, and our guest get deluxe accomidations at prices well below Disney prices.

And there is another win. DVC picks up new members. A third of the people I rented points to this year have started the process to become members because they like what they saw!