Renting Questions

I decided last month that I wanted to rent points for a trip this December! I have learned the hard way that I need to start my homework now for a trip NEXT December!

I do have a few questions regarding renting points and I was hoping someone can help me.

1. What is a fair price to rent points? Does the price per point change as the time of year changes (Spring Break more expensive than the first week of Dec)

2. How far in advance can one rent points? I am interested in December 2012.

3. I am under the impression that the Owner makes the reservation for the room and if I were to make any requests etc. the Owner would have to do that. but if my name is not on the reservation how do I check in?

4. Tickets…I have to purchase park tickets separately and if I wanted a food plan I can purchase that at the hotel when I check in? What if they have free dining? DVC guests do not qualify?

5. What is your favorite DVC resort and why? I am leaning to Bay Lake b/c I like the idea of the monorail but I am also interested in a Savannah View at AKL.

I am sure I have more questions but I think this is a good start!

Thanks so much for your help!

Lisa

Lisa…

1. What is a fair price to rent points? Does the price per point change as the time of year changes (Spring Break more expensive than the first week of Dec) $10-14 generally. Sometimes less if they are restricted ie. can only be used for last minute trip or a specific resort. Additionally, you are renting from individual owners. Each owner sets their price and rental terms. Being in real estate, I STRONGLY suggest that all rental agreements be in writing. I also suggest that you don’t pay cash, check or wire like Western Union unless you know and FULLY trust them. If you pay by credit card you have a better chance of recovering your money if the renter doesn’t deliver the reservation as promised. While there are legit rentals to be had on ebay and such, buyer beware.

2. How far in advance can one rent points? I am interested in December 2012. Members can book 11 months in advance at the resorts where they own and at 7 months for all other DVC resorts. So if your heart is set on a certain resort, you are best to rent from an owner at that resort. The other option is rent where ever the owner has points as soon as possible, then at 7 months ask them to switch to the resort you want. If there is noting available they may be able to place you on a waiting list for the resort you want, but FOR BUSIER TIME TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET ASAP! I book my early Dec trips in January!

3. I am under the impression that the Owner makes the reservation for the room and if I were to make any requests etc. the Owner would have to do that. but if my name is not on the reservation how do I check in? Owner makes reservation for you, and has to make any changes, but the reservation will be in your name. Requests can be passed on at time the reservation is made. Also, LIMITED requests can be made as part of online check in.

4. Tickets…I have to purchase park tickets separately and if I wanted a food plan I can purchase that at the hotel when I check in? What if they have free dining? DVC guests do not qualify? No “free” dininig but[COLOR=“Red”] I’ll include “free” dining if you pay full rack rate for the room too. There REALLY is no such thing as free dining. DVC members pay $45.99 for DDP (2011 adult price per person/night) and the DP much be paid for when added to the reservation, not at check in. Most people pay for the DVC reservation w/o DP then add the DP about a month before check in to split the cost. DP is paid to WDW and the member must also make those reservations so you will have to give the member your credit card or Disney gift card number(s). Park admission tickets can be added at check in or you can purchase them online and have a seperate ticket. No discounts on admission unless you are member and buying AP.[/COLOR]

5. What is your favorite DVC resort and why? I am leaning to Bay Lake b/c I like the idea of the monorail but I am also interested in a Savannah View at AKL. That’s like trying to get an answer to the chicken and egg question. There are plus and minus things about each resort. It’s all good, you are staying on site at WDW and saving money to boot!!!

We have rented 3 times now. Twice from MBers and once from David’s DVC rental online. All three experiences have been WONDERFUL. We’ve stayed at SSR and OKW and loved them both. OKW is our favorite of the two. Plus both times we’ve paid a little less for the room than we would have at them mods where we usually would stay.

Thank you for that infromation! You really helped me with my questions.

Now I just gotta find the “perfect” rental!

Lisa

Richard, knowing a lot of the price comparisons which would you say “on average” would be cheaper for 2adults/3kids who don’t spend a lot of time IN the room in say, June…WL or BC with 40% off the $300-$400ish night rate or renting points?
My head spins when trying to figure out prices with the point system. tia

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1088823]Richard, knowing a lot of the price comparisons which would you say “on average” would be cheaper for 2adults/3kids who don’t spend a lot of time IN the room in say, June…WL or BC with 40% off the $300-$400ish night rate or renting points?
My head spins when trying to figure out prices with the point system. tia[/QUOTE]

It’s almost ALWAYS cheaper to rent. Genreally, you can rent DVC studios for about what you’d pay rack rate at a value resort. How big of unit really depends on how old kids are. Studios are limited to 4 people, as are most hotel rooms.

If the kids are old enough you could but them in their own studio. Another option is AKV Kidani or BLT 1 br which has a sofa bed and a sleeper chair (twin size.) PLUS M&D get their OWN room.

Here is a link to an easy to use site. You don’t have to register to check points required.

DVC Point Planner

Thanks.

Our 3 are tween/teens but small enough deal with a sofa and share a queen/full for a week but a Studio would be out, so a 2bdrm DVC or reg Deluxe would be it. AKV or BLT doesn’t appeal to us so the reg rates minus 40% look to be $240 a night at the other 2. I’ll have to look at that chart to see what a 2bdrm would add up too unless WL or BC has a 1 bdrm like the other two you mentioned. I could definitely go that route then :happy:

Ok, I used the point planner to configure rates at WL, BC, BW & SSR for a 1bdrm, which we would be illegal in since the limit is 4, and with luck at $10 a point those rooms still came out more than 40% off at WL, BC or BW for Courtyard or Garden views in rooms for 5. Given the time of year and locations i’m targeting I doubt i’d get it at $10 a pt though.
Granted we wouldn’t have the kitchen and extra space in a reg room but while at WDW I don’t cook and we don’t spend an excessive amt of time in our room. As long as I have a fridge i’m good. Sooo…we’ll have to wait and see.
Thx for the link.

I’m renting a studio at VWL for Easter week and was able to get it for $10.50/point. The price worked out to a little less than a moderate. Very worth it for us to try out a DVC room. We eat our breakfast in our room so staying in a studio gives us more options.

I know the $$ gods are a pain to deal with, but when we had all 3 kids with us the 2BR DVC unit made the trip so much more enjoyable. They had their own room. And many times our son just gave the room to the girls and he took the couch. Most nights he never pulled out the bed. Oh to be young again.
Add to that a 2nd bathroom and all of the hair prep and shower issues went away. Then add the fact that we ate brkfst in the unit (kids were instructed that the dish washing plan continued on vacation) and half of the days we ate lunch in the unit when we went back for a midday pool break and we actually saved big $$$. Pam and I would stop at the food store for cold stuff (we brought dry goods with us) and we could be set for a week except for a dairy and fresh fruit restock. And some nights the kids would want to do dinner at the unit. Pizza and a pool and they were set. Much better than another sit down and $15-25.00 per person gone.
Figure the cost of breakfast each morning at the hotel/resort and subtract that from the total cost of your lodging. We figure $5.00 per person, and that is really low with teens. It looks much better and the extra room is so worth it. Even better than a 2nd room at say SOG.

Wow, that’s a really good price for a holiday week. Good going.
I priced the difference at POR, only one to hold 5 vs a Studio and still came out cheaper with the Mod. So I guess for us it all comes down to the extras like Kitchen and in room Laundry and if it’d be worth paying extra for those.
Also not really sure how strict DVC is about sliding an extra person in so I don’t know if we could even get a Studio or 1 bdrm.
The space factor isn’t much of a problem. DD12 will sleep ANYWHERE. Last year enroute to WDW we’d gotten a suite and she refused to sleep with her sister so she pulled out the ironing board and laid it on the floor for an instant bed. Half way through the night she’d gotten tired of rolling off of it so she pulled one of the winged back chairs up to the bed and slept in that with her legs stretched across the bed. Goofball:happy:

TOTALLY forgot about the laundry. Each morning we put a load in the washer, and when we returned it went in the dryer. The dryer was used to fluff the towels each morning after showers while clothes were in the washer. We cut everyone by 1/3-1/2 of the packing space they needed for clothes. That made the space for the dry goods for breakfast, snacks and water and sodas in the van.

OKW now has a “sleeper” chair, as well as the sleeper sofa, so a one bedroom “legally” sleeps 5. (Just a little added info:happy:)

I saw where BWV had studios with daybeds that will “legally” accomodate 5. Anyone know if those units are extremely limited supply and if more points are needed? Rooms seem really small but we don’t need a lot of space to watch our clothes for us :laugh: Now, the Resort amenities we will use.

I’ll warm/reheat on vacate but refuse to cook and I see the studios come with microvave/fridge/toaster and a seperate vanity from the main bath which is a must with teen girls :happy: But no washer/dryer in studios :sad:

I’m just looking around at something that will sleep 5 and will give us more options to get somewhere, anywhere other than on buses. Unless we drive everywhere, so tired of only using the buses.
Thx everyone for the ideas.