Replacement Thread: Does WDW need a thrill oriented park?

So, a few days back we saw the start of a thread about a third Disney park being built outside Paris. This is great news, unless of course, it looks like you’re never going to get there. So slowly that thread got hijacked:eek: (blame me:cool:) and morphed into our thoughts about a 5th Orlando park that would be dedicated to thrill rides which I have long advocated as “Disney’s Coaster Kingdom”. Anyway, that thread got moved today to the Disneyland Paris forum where it always belonged, but that also means that continuing to discuss an Orlando thrill park in that thread wouldn’t be right and the discussion in progress will be forgotten because “out of sight is out of mind”.
I think I’ve started a thread or two like this over the years, but because we had a discussion going, I thought that I’d redirect that discussion back to the main WDW Theme Park forum.

So, have at it.

I think that type of park is long over due- although I am not a coaster fan myself, my DD and DH are, and they both commented this trip that a new thrill ride is much needed, they feel particularly at HS.
They spent alot of time moving from park to park just to ride the ‘thrill’ type rides, so a park entirely dedicated to this type of ride would inject a new ‘themed’ park perspective into the Disney empire.
Furthermore, with Universal rapidly developing new concepts and having the HP park too, Disney need to keep one step ahead-Microsoft and Apple spring to mind!

I am on the fence about this. I LOVE thrill rides but when I think of a thrill ride type park a’la Six Flags, I do not get the Disney feel. I know, I know it does not have the Disney fell b/c it’s not Disney But I get a weird feeling that it would be hard to incorporate the “Disney feeling” in a thrill oriented park.
So… I think Disney can continue to stay one step ahead as they always have while keeping up with their winning formula!

I guess i’m reallly not on the fence once I see what I have written!

Lisa

I don’t think that it needs to be a thrill only park… Walt’s main focus was to have rides that the whole family could enjoy together… I think if you lose that vision, it becomes a less fulfilling place for everyone, and over time, not as many repeat visitors (how many times will grandma and grandpa go there with you?)
Keep in mind, Universal follows disney in attendance around the world. There is a reason for this-they simply do not have as broad of an appeal.
We have never been because we have one kid that hates fast rides… So, it is not worth the price of the ticket for him to be sitting on a bench all day waiting for everyone else… (that and I cannot leave Disney once I get there…)

I think if they keep the overall vision, then they could build anything as a 5th park and people would flock to it. If you limit your audience, well you limit your ability to be profitable…

That is my 2 cents…

There are supposed to be big announcements tomorrow about Disney parks, according to FB… We will see what they announce.

I think the only reason WDW would ever want to build such a park would be if they felt the need to compete more head to head with Universal. And since the biggest thing Disney has going for them is their non-thrill park status, I can’t see them doing it anytime in the near future.

I have no problem going to Universal for a completely Un-Disney experience. My only wish is that Disney offer more for boys.

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1050313]I am on the fence about this. I LOVE thrill rides but when I think of a thrill ride type park a’la Six Flags, I do not get the Disney feel. I know, I know it does not have the Disney fell b/c it’s not Disney But I get a weird feeling that it would be hard to incorporate the “Disney feeling” in a thrill oriented park.
So… I think Disney can continue to stay one step ahead as they always have while keeping up with their winning formula!

I guess i’m reallly not on the fence once I see what I have written!

Lisa[/QUOTE]

I’m on the fence with you. I know my DD and DH love thrill rides, but one of the things that I love about WDW is that there are very few attractions where one or more of us skip out - TOT and the Spinning Tea Cups are two that come to mind:blow:. I have always enjoyed this aspect of our visits to the parks.

[QUOTE=ddoll;1050321]I think the only reason WDW would ever want to build such a park would be if they felt the need to compete more head to head with Universal. And since the biggest thing Disney has going for them is their non-thrill park status, I can’t see them doing it anytime in the near future.

I have no problem going to Universal for a completely Un-Disney experience. My only wish is that Disney offer more for boys.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you, ddoll. The need to compete with Universal would be the thing that would drive a thrill ride park, and right now they don’t need that. I also agree with you that they need to do more for boys. My son loves Disney World, but I’ve always felt so bad for him when our girls were doing so many girly, princessy things, and there didn’t seem to be nearly as much for him to enjoy.

Since I was Soundgod’s wingman on the threadjack I will repost my comments:

I want to see a thrill ride park were the villians dominate. An Ursula water park and Malificent coaster. That will keep the Disney in the park and give the teenage and those of us who never got over the thrill ride phase a place to get an adrenalin rush and still know we are at DW.

[QUOTE=rlb;1050354]Since I was Soundgod’s wingman on the threadjack I will repost my comments:

I want to see a thrill ride park were the villians dominate. An Ursula water park and Malificent coaster. That will keep the Disney in the park and give the teenage and those of us who never got over the thrill ride phase a place to get an adrenalin rush and still know we are at DW.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Keep the Disney “theme” but market to a broader audience. No, Grandma and Grandpa may not come along, but, you never know…I know some seniors that still love a good thrill =):mickey:

Disney now owns a number of the properties used for rides at Universal. GE/NBC Universal is not all the interested in the theme park business. Universal really doesn’t do much brand support for it’s corporate masters (HP world there biggest draw isn’t even owned and Shrek is no Mickey Mouse).

I really don’t see Universal being owned by GE/NBC Universal within 10 years and if it is put up for sale it would be cheaper for Disney to buy it and refurbish it then build a new park…the question then is what happens to DS.

I still think Disney could pull off this thrill ride, villian theme park, by still keeping their standard blueprint. But, kind of reversing it. For example, HS has the majority of anyone can ride rides, with two thrill rides (RRC and TOT). This new park would still have something for everyone, but just the majority more thrill rides. Those imagineers are good. I’m sure they would look forward to the new challenge of keeping everything in balance. But, really, with having two teenage sons, I’ll be the first to admit that when I’m saying we are going to Disney, they don’t get as excited as when they were younger. This new idea would probably keep them hooked a lot more.

I don’t think a thrill type park is needed. I don’t think most people go to WDW looking for thrills, but more for the stories, the fantasy and the magic. That is the thrill for most people.

We live close to Cedar Point, which is known for amazing coasters, but we haven’t been there in 15 years, yet we are always ready to drop the cash on WDW. WDW’s thrill type rides are always our favorites, but that is more for the whole themed story of the ride that sucks us in. Disney is the best at what they do and if its not broke don’t fix it.

[QUOTE=tigger;1050400]Disney now owns a number of the properties used for rides at Universal. GE/NBC Universal is not all the interested in the theme park business. Universal really doesn’t do much brand support for it’s corporate masters (HP world there biggest draw isn’t even owned and Shrek is no Mickey Mouse).

I really don’t see Universal being owned by GE/NBC Universal within 10 years and if it is put up for sale it would be cheaper for Disney to buy it and refurbish it then build a new park…the question then is what happens to DS.[/QUOTE]

Technically, Universal Orlando is only 50% GE/NBC Universal. The other 50% is held by the Blackstone private equity group. But even the Universal Studios park is not fully Universal either. MIB is actually a Marvel property and the films are Columbia (Sony). The Simpsons is Fox. Terminator is MGM, T2 is actually Studio Canal+ (which is still owned by Vivendi, but not Universal). It’s really a mess considering how much they don’t control the rights to. How the heck that happened, I don’t know.
I doubt that Disney will want to acquire Universal Orlando, not with that kind of hodge podge of licensing issues.

No, the fifth park would follow standard Disney theming practices and would be coherent in its scope. Of course every ride wouldn’t be a scream machine, but it will have a harder edge than the other parks. There naturally will be family rides and family coasters, but my ideal park would have Disney joining into the coaster arms race. I believe Walt would approve because this will still be a park that a father can take his daughters to as well as attracting many others and in the end be very profitable (Walt was a businessman after all), open new horizons, and be a clean, safe, and fun place.

I would love to see Disney have more thrill rides. I have no doubt they could bring out a few new thrill rides without losing their Disney feel.

Tigger, we were talking about NBC/Universal and GE’s thoughts on staying in the theme park business.
What we both forgot is that Comcast is in the process of acquiring NBC/Universal from GE.
That could mean anything for the theme parks depending upon how Comcast views the cross marketing ability of the Universal properties (film and brick and mortar) fits with Comcast’s cable operation. This is very relevant in light of Comcast’s hostile takeover attempt with Disney several years back.
It is very possible that if the acquisition of NBC/Universal by Comcast is permitted that Comcast could become very interested in going head to head with Disney on every front, be it broadcast, cable, content creation, and theme parks. And if Comcast steps up to challenge Disney in the Orlando park arena, Disney might find itself forced to build more extreme rides or to build the fifth park as a thrill park.

[QUOTE=rlb;1050354]Since I was Soundgod’s wingman on the threadjack I will repost my comments:

I want to see a thrill ride park were the villians dominate. An Ursula water park and Malificent coaster. That will keep the Disney in the park and give the teenage and those of us who never got over the thrill ride phase a place to get an adrenalin rush and still know we are at DW.[/QUOTE]

SUCH A GOOD IDEA !!! VILLAINS !!! That would be awesome ! :cheshire: There are enough Disney Villains to make plenty of attractions ! Please submit your idea to WDW !!!

I am not sure about adding a 5th park but I would definitely love more coasters/thrill rides. I had asked this very question to my 14 year-old DD and she said she would love if they had more thrill rides and most if not all of her friends that have gone to WDW agreed. I do know one of the main reasons I ever go to Universal is for the rides and if WDW had them my time and money might very well stay on Disney property.