Resort coffee mugs

I have heard that the resort mugs are now equipped with some sort of sensor that only lets you use them during your stay time. Does anyone know how true this is?

I would think that would cost more to implement then a few free coffees. But then again I have never understood the bean counter way of thinking anyhow.

-Harry

I have read that they started this at All Stars last summer…but I can’t find any current information. I think someone here would have posted had they come across this recently. Perhaps they tried to get the chip technology to work and it didn’t work well?

Apparently people were using the mugs to fill up other peoples own cups so the chip was designed to shut off the dispenser with rapid repeat usage.

Yeah, they’ve installed the RFID technology, which is basically a chip in your cup that communicates with the drinks machines. After a refill you have to wait at least 5 minutes before you can fill again (annoying if your trying to fill bottles to take into the park!) and the mug can only be used at your resort for the duration of your stay.

It’s definatly in place over at All Stars but I’m not sure if it’s hit every other resort yet!

YAY!!! About time!

…wouldn’t getting the chip technology to work in the cup and dispenser work out to be über expensive for Disney? I guess that guests really abused the way the refillables were support to work…and the cost of free refills got out of hand…

I remember when the mug thing started…we still have one from All Stars when you could use it at any resort…but we never did…

I am one of those follow the rules people…same with FP…I never would have even entertained the thought to abuse the systems in place…

So this doesn’t effect us in any way…we use the mug for coffee in the morning, and then grab hot choc or soda coming back thru after a day in the parks…

Wow that just saddens me to no end that it was so badly abused that they had to spend the money for this kind of solution. First off that cost gets passed on to all of us, sencond that is money that could have been spent on park improvements.

Oh well, guess it is just a sign of the times.
-H

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1108960]Wow that just saddens me to no end that it was so badly abused that they had to spend the money for this kind of solution. First off that cost gets passed on to all of us, sencond that is money that could have been spent on park improvements.

Oh well, guess it is just a sign of the times.
-H[/QUOTE]

–you are right Grumpydad—everything does get passed onto us in some way----

So far all the information i’ve read on this is targeting the resort “mugs”. How does this work with the regular disposible cups one purchases with a meal. It would make no sense at all to invest in putting chips in those, which would still allow guests to take any cup up to the dispensor. The only way to stop that would be to distribute paid-for-the-day drinks from behind the counter and only use fill-and-go stations for the mugs.

I’ll admit i’m one that has rode the line on the rules with the mugs. Sometimes I buy mugs when we visit and it’s used only on that visit but I may not be staying at that resort.
When we stay at sog we walk across the street to Poly in the morning to catch the rail, fill our newly purchased mugs for that trip then go into the parks and continue using it for ice through the day. We do the same at the end of the day for the walk back to the hotel. I guess once they install the system throughout that’s $46 they won’t be getting in mug sales for the $1 worth of soda we consume since there may not be a reservation to link the chip to.
That’s ok though since we really should be drinking more water anyway after a long hot day in the park :happy:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1108967]So far all the information i’ve read on this is targeting the resort “mugs”. How does this work with the regular disposible cups one purchases with a meal. It would make no sense at all to invest in putting chips in those, which would still allow guests to take any cup up to the dispensor. The only way to stop that would be to distribute paid-for-the-day drinks from behind the counter and only use fill-and-go stations for the mugs.

I’ll admit i’m one that has rode the line on the rules with the mugs. Sometimes I buy mugs when we visit and it’s used only on that visit but I may not be staying at that resort.
When we stay at sog we walk across the street to Poly in the morning to catch the rail, fill our newly purchased mugs for that trip then go into the parks and continue using it for ice through the day. We do the same at the end of the day for the walk back to the hotel. I guess once they install the system throughout that’s $46 they won’t be getting in mug sales for the $1 worth of soda we consume since there may not be a reservation to link the chip to.
That’s ok though since we really should be drinking more water anyway after a long hot day in the park :happy:[/QUOTE]

Good point…wonder how that will work…We will always purchase the mug because we use it at least twice a day at the food court—so it works out well for us—and we rarely go to any other resort hotel while there…

We would always buy a mug back when they were personaized to the resort. I have an almost complete collection of those early resort mugs. Usually we would use them for coffee in the morning and that was it.

When they changed to the one size fit all we just stopped buying them as they were no longer “special”.

Harry

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1108967]So far all the information i’ve read on this is targeting the resort “mugs”. How does this work with the regular disposible cups one purchases with a meal. It would make no sense at all to invest in putting chips in those, which would still allow guests to take any cup up to the dispensor. The only way to stop that would be to distribute paid-for-the-day drinks from behind the counter and only use fill-and-go stations for the mugs.

That’s ok though since we really should be drinking more water anyway after a long hot day in the park :happy:[/QUOTE]

Good point, but with the disposable cups, don’t they need the chip to activate the dispenser? Will the disposable cups go altogether? I can see why Disney are doing this, but no doubt there will be a ton of questions and ways found round it too sadly.

I am at AKV now and our mugs/dispensers are chipless here!

Good to know “lil”…thanks…perhaps they are still just testing this chip thing…maybe it’s not working out so well so they haven’t expanded it to all resorts yet…

I imagine there is probably more abuse at the value resorts.

Is there a point you’re trying to make? Something to read into?

The worst abuse we ever saw was at the WL and that sure ain’t a Value resort. We never buy the mugs anymore since they went over $12.00 each. And I cannot get my first dose of Mt Dew post first coffee so it’s really not worth it anyway. I just liked the mugs.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1108989]Is there a point you’re trying to make? Something to read into?

The worst abuse we ever saw was at the WL and that sure ain’t a Value resort. We never buy the mugs anymore since they went over $12.00 each. And I cannot get my first dose of Mt Dew post first coffee so it’s really not worth it anyway. I just liked the mugs.[/QUOTE]

I think he is saying it is a GOP plot to subsidize the rich by taking advantage of the poor.

( OMG, I sound like my wife… Quick I need to go shoot something ! ! ! )

MUG DEBATE! MUG DEBATE! WOO-HOOO!!!

:laugh:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1108996]MUG DEBATE! MUG DEBATE! WOO-HOOO!!!

:laugh:[/QUOTE]

…I’d watch this debate over a presidential one any day…:cool:

This is going to sound mean, but why is this a big deal? So many people get the DDP and a mug is included in that (1 per person) and if not they are like $13. Instead of complaining about the cost, factor it into your vacation cost. I can count on 1 hand how many times we used our mugs. They are mostly used for my coffee on the way to work in the mornings. I just don’t get why people get upset that they can’t get free drinks with a mug from 10 years ago.