Resort TV

Ok I know that we don’t go to Disney to sit in our rooms and watch TV but I have been there a few time where I have been stuck in my room for an hour or so or just headed back early for a rest.

Disney resort TV stinks. I get the promotion channels and the news channels but with all the rich history of Disney media (and resources) you would think they would have a couple Disney programing loop channels.

It would be great if they had a classic disney loops channel that showed just classic Disney cartoons from the 40’s 50’s and 60’s. Heck they have enough they could do a multi day loop. Or classic live action shows interspersed with a few cartoons…20k Leagues under the Seas, Swiss Family Robinson, and others classic…how about a Zorro here or there or some of their other serials.

Just a channel or two…and with technology today they could even time mark the loop and put in resort ads and disney ads. They could also up sell their Classic DVD tins sets.

Not looking to at continuing my couch potato habits at WDW just looking for some Disney magic to fill those down times at the resort.

They used to have one or two great channels, especially for us as ‘foreigners’ the chance to watch some classic American tv shows. But you’re right, the last few times we have been we have been really disappointed with the channels available.
I appreciate they want you out of the room and spending money, but that’s not always an option. I know when I was taken very ill at CBR and confined to the room, a few years ago I was so thankful for the tv and the choice of channels.

[QUOTE=dixie;1097426]They used to have one or two great channels, especially for us as ‘foreigners’ the chance to watch some classic American tv shows. But you’re right, the last few times we have been we have been really disappointed with the channels available.
I appreciate they want you out of the room and spending money, but that’s not always an option. I know when I was taken very ill at CBR and confined to the room, a few years ago I was so thankful for the tv and the choice of channels.[/QUOTE]

Dixie I have cable at home with about 900 channels. I am surprised at how often I turn it on and flip through 900 channels of junk I have no interest in watching. Disney with all the depth of their media should be able to dig out a day or 2 of shows to loop.

I do watch some TV while on my trips. Most TV wathcing takes place at night when we are unwinding from our day or on a break from the parks in the afternoon. The TV channel options are not that great. WE usually just watch the Disney Channel and are ok with that.

Disney refuses to allow Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, Nick, Fox News, C-SPAN, History, Discover, Turner Classic Movies, Fox Movie Channel, AMC, FX, Spike, USA, etc, etc, etc.
And Heaven forbid they offer HBO or Cinemax!

If it weren’t for our DVD player and about 30 movies, we’d go nuts from lack of anything to watch.

I don’t watch Disney Channel at home and once MSNBC goes to their crime slop, there’s no good options.
And now I’m even spoiled on Sundays because I get NFL Red Zone, or as I call it, Short Attention Span Football.

I agreed, disney tv is awful. Staying at the villas, we had the option to borrow movies, which I did several times. But next time, I may just throw a dvd or two in the bag. I had just gotten a Gettsbury/ Gods and General DVD that is about 6 hrs long and joked about bringing it along. Now that we are back, I wish I had. We spent more time in the room than I had planned.

I loved Gettysburg but Gods and Generals was a snore fest…

(I have the sound track to Gettysburg…it is really great on a saturday morning when I am working around the house…and it has to be loud…very very loud)

I was thinking about this again last night and Disney is really missing an opportunity to cement their brand with the audience. Kids need to see the classic Mickey mouse cartoons, and the movies that really inspired a lot of the attractions and lands in parks.

How much would it cost Disney to run a 24 or 48 hour loop of 20kLUtS or SFR or Treasure Island or Daniel Boone or another number of great content they own. Heck they could take some of these movies and reedit them into sort vignettes (maybe half an hour or fifteen minute scenes) that could be viewed on their own.

All Stars have channel 69 which is a one hour loop of sing alongs so I know they can do it…

In the deluxe resorts, you used to be able to get the lobby cartoon loop in your room on Ch 96, but they’ve locked out that channel on all the new TVs.
The capabilities are there already. I just don’t know why they’re stuck in the early 80’s basic cable mode.

I would love the Historry channel, Discovery, and Foodnetwork. With just those few, I would be set. I have to agree, they don’t offer much in their channel selection.

Totally agree. I have to have tv to go to sleep. Bad habit, I know, but there it is. It’s just silly that Disney won’t put in decend cable tv. Actually - it looks kind of petty on their part. Between Stacy and three - THREE - religious channels, there isn’t much to watch. Unless you’re a sports fan - then there’s ESPN.

Well, there is also three news channels; CNN and MSNBC and the little seen ABC World News Now (that no other cable system in the world seems to carry:laugh:), no Fox News and no Headline News.

But how many times can you watch a rerun of Chris Matthews or Anderson Cooper? And when the weekends roll around, MSNBC is next to worthless too.

There is Weather Channel, but these days, they’re too impressed with themselves to stick to the schedule of Local on the 8’s. That radar is indispensable!
And another thing, the deluxe resorts also used to get official Weather Service radar on Ch 99, but they’ve locked that channel out since they got the flat screens as well:angry:.

You’re not the only one who can’t fall asleep (or stay asleep) without a TV on and my DW also can’t stand the interruptions that commercials cause.
Me? I like dark and quiet.

I completely agree about the lack of choices. Let’s start a petition… drive for more channels.

I’m pretty sure these forums are monitored by the organization in order to get a feel for what us fans have to say.
Threads about the lame Disney provided cable come up all the time.
They have to be aware this is a big complaint a lot of guests have.

And it’s even made to look more pathetic when the Swolphin hotels have Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, and at least one premium and one semi premium movie channel and all the same Disney commercials.

Oh, goodness. When we were there this summer, we had to pry my then-17-year-old sister away from the Disney Channel. She was addicted.

Other than that, we don’t watch a lot of TV, so it really doesn’t bother us.

FWIW, I heard on another board from the DVC condo association meeting that Fox news will be added to the channel line up.

I do agree with Tigger, it would be awesome to see some of the classic Disney films from yesteryear. It’s kinda odd to see some many resort programming coming soon channels year in and year out.

I could watch Stacy and the Spanish version girl as well as the DVC girl anytime but DW for some reason always wants me to switch the channel when they come on :laugh: