Restaurant Review from recent trip

Hello everyone, I thought I would give a review of the restaurants we visited on our recent trip. So here goes!

Boma- As always it was very good. I am a fan of the carrot ginger soup and the pasta salad. I was disappointed that there was no potato salad but everything was very good!

Coral Reef- Had to wait about an hour past our scheduled adr, so that was not good. The service was definitely not the best, but the food was very good. I would like to see more seafood on the menu. I miss the crab legs! The chocolate wave was good as always!

Whispering Canyon- This is one of my most favorite places at DW and it was my birthday dinner. The skillet was great. I really like the pulled pork. The entire restaurant sang Happy Birthday and my friends had ordered a birthday cake for me so that was great and I got to take my smores cheesecake back to the room for later!:laugh:

Big River Grill- This was a first for all in my party. I was not impressed. The nachos were very good but the steak and all other food lacked any seasoning. I would not use a table service credit at BRG again.

Teppan Edo- This was also a first for all of us and we loved it. The food was great and our chef was excellent. I had worried that the six year old with us would not like the food but turns out this was his favorite place of the week. Our chef called the white sauce yum yum sauce and that was an appropriate name for it! It is a must do for us now!

Crystal Palace dinner- The character interaction was good but I much prefer the breakfast over dinner. We usually have breakfast there and will do that from now on.

'Ohana- This is another favorite of ours and the food was great except for a piece of steak that was pretty raw, but the service was not as good as it has been in the past. We had to try and catch a someone passing by to get more food. Hopefully this was just a bad night.

Chef Mickey’s Breakfast- We have a tradition of having breakfast at Chef Mickey’s our last morning in DW. The food was good and the characters were great.

Now I’m home and have to fix my own food again! :glare:

[QUOTE=rlb;1008661]
Coral Reef- Had to wait about an hour past our scheduled adr, so that was not good. The service was definitely not the best, but the food was very good. I would like to see more seafood on the menu. I miss the crab legs! The chocolate wave was good as always![/QUOTE]

I’ll probably chime in on other parts later, but this just jumps out at me.
Why even bother having a (former) seafood restaurant with a huge aquarium if they only have a pair of seafood dishes on the menu?!
Since 2005 (this is a constant complaint of mine) the Disney restaurants property wide have been eliminating choices and dishes left and right, to the point where they have pared down most menus to have only 8 or 9 entree selections, 4 appetizers, and 4 deserts.
Lobster has become almost extinct, as have crab legs, shrimp, anything fried, and a few other standby favorites.
I blame this on the Magic Your Way dining plan and Disney’s attempts to standardize prices, portions, and choices across the board to counter all the free dining offers and to thwart guests who know how to get the most value out of vacation packages.

[QUOTE=rlb;1008661]
Coral Reef dinner- The character interaction was good but I much prefer the breakfast over dinner. We usually have breakfast there and will do that from now on.[/QUOTE]

OK, where did you really eat? Did you mean Crystal Palace?:pinch:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1008695]I’ll probably chime in on other parts later, but this just jumps out at me.
Why even bother having a (former) seafood restaurant with a huge aquarium if they only have a pair of seafood dishes on the menu?!
Since 2005 (this is a constant complaint of mine) the Disney restaurants property wide have been eliminating choices and dishes left and right, to the point where they have pared down most menus to have only 8 or 9 entree selections, 4 appetizers, and 4 deserts.
Lobster has become almost extinct, as have crab legs, shrimp, anything fried, and a few other standby favorites.
I blame this on the Magic Your Way dining plan and Disney’s attempts to standardize prices, portions, and choices across the board to counter all the free dining offers and to thwart guests who know how to get the most value out of vacation packages.[/quote]

Yeah, I really want some crab legs. Why wouldn’t there be crab legs at the Coral Reef? It’s supposed to be a “high-end” seafood restaurant. Are there crab legs at Narcoosee’s? They have crab cakes, at least, I think. (Now I want seafood… I think I’m about to book Narcoosee’s! :laugh:)

No crab legs, but they do have lobster.
By the way, Snow Crab legs are relatively cheap, especially in bulk.
It’s King Crab that’s the pricier crab.

Thanks Soundgod! I fixed that little mistake.

My sister and niece had salmon at CR. They liked it, but I think the rest of us had steak. Kind of weird surrounded by an aquarium and not having seafood. Maybe they don’t want to offend the residents!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1008695].
I blame this on the Magic Your Way dining plan and Disney’s attempts to standardize prices, portions, and choices across the board to counter all the free dining offers and to thwart guests who know how to get the most value out of vacation packages.:[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I understand that it’s probably not a popular stance to take - because of course it’s a great deal for families - but the food at WDW sure isn’t what it use to be. We’re leaving for WDW and I haven’t made a single ADR. We’re really considering trying some restaurants outside the World this time.

If you like Mexican try Chevy’s out the Downtown Diz gate. Prices were very reasonable, portions were abundant, staff attenative and a good experience overall. Might be a chain, if so we’ve never heard of it.

Thanks for the reviews, we have ADR’s at 5 of the places you ate, and are really looking forward to Whispering Canyon and Teppen Edo…only 132 days to go :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=rlb;1008661]

Big River Grill- This was a first for all in my party. I was not impressed. The nachos were very good but the steak and all other food lacked any seasoning. I would not use a table service credit at BRG again. [/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize they were on DDP. Maybe it’s the no ADR thing that threw me off. We did NOT like BRG. Extremely slow service when restaurant wasn’t half full and the hair in my DD’s food:eek:

Oooh yuck :blow:

It is not a place I would go back to for dinner. Maybe for the nachos if I were on the Boardwalk, but not for a meal.

You had some great ADRs. Its making me hungry.

Chevy’s is a chain, not that chains are automatically a bad thing.
We recently opted for Appleby’s over a local diner in NJ just because I wanted some continuity for lunch that day.
There’s also Buffalo Wild Wings on SR 535 in the Crossroads Plaza.
There’s a few other places including a Landry’s Seafood and a Steak and Shake.
There is life outside the borders of Walt Disney World.

We’ve eaten at BRG twice. First time was in 2001, was a last minute decision because we were staying at the Yacht, and was good (at least I recall it as good).
Second time was either 2007 or 8 and it was merely OK, menu limited, and uninspired. The ribs weren’t bad.
We probably won’t be going back anytime soon.

Chevy’s is a chain, but it’s a very good one. Especially if you like tex-mex. I personally love the chimichungas.

[QUOTE=rlb;1008661]Big River Grill- This was a first for all in my party. I was not impressed. The nachos were very good but the steak and all other food lacked any seasoning. I would not use a table service credit at BRG again.
[/QUOTE]
I’m surprised at all the negative comments about BRG. It’s been a few years, but I’ve been there twice and both times it was great. It’s certainly laid back and there are times that I could imagine the servers getting backed up. But we found the food to be very good.

I’m disappointed that it appears to have lost an edge.

Interesting comments on BRG. With as many stays as we’ve had in BCV, we never once even considered dining there. :confused: Not that we heard bad reviews, but so many dining options in Epcot, we rarely ate on the BW (Spoodles being the exception).

We did try a few new places last trip, with mixed results.

Kona Cafe was great.

Tusker House was meh with bad service.

[QUOTE=rlb;1008746]Oooh yuck :blow:

It is not a place I would go back to for dinner. Maybe for the nachos if I were on the Boardwalk, but not for a meal.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Last (and ONLY) time we were there, DD had a huge chunk of Heineken beer crate cardboard globbed inside her burger patty. GROSS. Haven’t been able to bring ourselves to give it another try. :blow:

We’ve gone to Crystal Palace a couple of times and love it! We go for a late lunch (before the price goes up). Same characters, almost the same food- just a lot cheaper!

Try the Caribbean Beach club for breakfast. They have tons of food- just a little pricey ($120 for 5).

It would take a lot for us to go back to Coral Reef. We went in 2007 and the wait for our food was an hour. The only redeeming quality was our server and the great dessert. It is way overpriced for so so food and atmosphere.

We did the Crystal Palace breakfast in 2008 and loved it. I agree that the interaction with the characters is very good and liberal with time spent for photos.

[QUOTE=DisneyDad1964;1009178]
Try the Caribbean Beach club for breakfast. They have tons of food- just a little pricey ($120 for 5).[/QUOTE]

Caribbean Beach Club?
Do you mean Goofy’s Beach Club Breakfast at the Cape May Cafe at Disney’s Beach Club?
Caribbean Beach only offers breakfast at the food court, and that isn’t going to cost $24 per person. Caribbean Beach’s table service restaurant, Shutters, is only open for dinner.