Review & modify my touring plan, please!

I’ll start a different thread about M-Th, but I’d like your guys’ input on my Fri plan. This is for the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend. My goal for the day is to hit all the multi-generational family-friendly, stereotypically Disneyland spots at an unstressful pace.

Is this expecting too much? A bad order to do them in on that day?

Arrive early & eat in line
[I](Runner gets Star Tours FP)[/I]
Finding Nemo Subs
[I](Runner gets Indiana Jones FP)[/I]
Pirates of the Caribbean
[I](Runner gets Indiana Jones or Big Thunder Mtn RR FP)[/I]
Tom Sawyer rafts
Explore Pirate’s Lair
[I](Runner gets Big Thunder Mtn RR FP if still needed)[/I]
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Carrousel
[I](Runner gets Big Thunder Mtn RR FP if still needed)[/I]
Long table service lunch
Return to Star Tours on FP
Return to Big Thunder Mtn RR on FP
Return to Indiana Jones on FP
Disney RR from New Orleans Sq to Toontown
It’s a Small World
Mickey’s 2nd Soundsational Parade 6:30p
Mickey & Minnie’s houses
Princess Faire
Disney RR from Toontown to Main Street
Tour/shop Main Street, take pics at castle, snacks
Fireworks 9:30
Fantasmic! 10:15p

You’ve been doing your homework. That’s not bad.

I’d throw in the Jungle Cruise after Pirates.

I’d also keep flexible on the Pirate’s Lair. You’ve got quite a stretch in the afternoon where there’s not much going on for the little one except to wait, and Pirate’s Lair is never going to have a line.

I see what you’ve done with a logical progression, but keep in mind that Disneyland isn’t all that big, and if you have to backtrack, it’s not that huge of a deal.

Also, I wouldn’t worry all that much about hitting the Princess Faire, unless meeting princesses is a huge priority. The line is always ridiculously long. If you want to get in there, I’d do it on a far less crowded day.

If taking pics at the Castle is a priority, you might want to get to it earlier. That area will be absolutely swarming with people waiting for fireworks, and unless you’re an awesome photographer (maybe you are!), nighttime pictures of the castle can be hit or miss.

At all times during the day, there will be photopass photographer near the castle. Take your own pics, but also take advantage of Photopass. It will allow you to get everyone who’s with you in the pictures, and there’s no obligation. If something turns out fabulous, buy it! If not, don’t.

Also: Where’s the love for Splash Mountain? I :heart: Splash Mountain most of all! :happy:

Two of the people there that day are romantics and will want princess pictures together. I’m hoping to find them near the castle, but figured the princess faire would be a sure-fire way to do it. Where would you move the castle pics to maximize princess spotting potential and eliminate the faire?

No splash mountain that day. We’ll have ride-averse people with us. We’re not sure they’ll do BTMRR, even.

I want to jump in and echo what Andrea said about the Photopass pics…we don’t always get them, however, if you are in a special group, The Photopass can get all of you in just right with the Castle right behind…no obligation to buy…also the ones at Epcot are cool too…

We had a pic taken one year at Christmas time, and they put Christmas decorations in behind us that weren’t actually there…but we’re a nice touch. We bought that one.

Smallworld

If you do plan on taking advantage of photopass it’s cheaper to buy it before you go. Then have you photopass pictures taken, (you can still look at them while in the park to make sure you have some good picture, if not just go have more taken) when you get home put you photopass number into the website and you can crop and put decrative boardes and Disney touches on them and they will be put on a desk and sent to you. They now have a feature for a few extra $$$ your ride photo’s can also be added to your photopass. Just something to think about. We don’t do the photopass every time we go, but if we go with DH grandkids or it’s a special anniversary or birthday we will. Their pictures always seem to come out better than mine and everyone gets in the picture.

Also, if you decide not to go with the photo pass, don’t be afraid to ask another park guest or CM to take a picture of you and your family, someone is always willing to help out.

I’m not sure if Disneyland is doing the ride photo-thing like WDW is doing with photopass, for what that’s worth.

You can ask at City Hall when/where Princesses might be in the park.

I don’t think it’s feasible to try to combine your Princess greeting and your Castle picture. For you Castle pic, I really think the best way to approach it is “hey, we’re here! Let’s get a picture now!” at any point during the day.

If you decide to do the Princess Faire, make sure you check park hours on when it’s open, because it’s not open the entire time the park is.

You guys/gals are awesome! I read that I can get the Disneyland photopass for $59.95 and that it is better to order after arriving. Is that accurate? AllEars’ PhotoPass at Disneyland page

How’s this for an update?

Arrive early & eat in line
(Runner gets Star Tours FP)
Finding Nemo Subs
(Runner gets Indiana Jones FP)
Pirates of the Caribbean
(Runner gets Indiana Jones or Big Thunder Mtn RR FP)
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Carrousel
Castle
(Runner gets Big Thunder Mtn RR FP if still needed)
Fit these rides in any order around a long table service lunch or dinner
Return to Star Tours on FP
Return to Big Thunder Mtn RR on FP
Return to Indiana Jones on FP
It’s a Small World
Tom Sawyer rafts
Explore Pirate’s Lair
Jungle Cruise
Mickey’s 2nd Soundsational Parade 6:30p
Mickey & Minnie’s houses
Disney RR from Toontown to Main Street
Snack, tour/shop Main Street, take sunset pics at castle (sunset is 7:52p)
Fireworks 9:30
Fantasmic! 10:15p

I’m curious about your “ride-averse” people.

Because while Big Thunder isn’t all that wild, Indiana Jones jars you around a bit and can be pretty intense even though it’s not fast. And Star Tours throws you around quite a bit, too. (There’s even one little spot on Star Tours that invariably gives me motion sickness.)

Your update’s looking good- but you’ll want to check when Toontown closes, because it does close early for Fireworks.

This is going to sound hopelessly detail oriented. According to Allears, when there are two Soundsational parades, the first one goes from Small World to Main Street, and the second one goes back. So getting to Toontown after the parade you’ve got several choices:

1. Watch the parade on Main Street. The second it ends, HUSTLE back to Toontown, hoping to get in front of the parade by cutting through the castle and heading straight back, not going over near the Matterhorn where the parade route is. This could be tricky if you’ve got a stroller, but could get you to Toontown at about 7pm.

2. Follow the end of the parade. Which puts you at Toontown at nearly 7:30pm.

3. Watch the parade from the area around Small World. You can then hit Toontown about 7:30, but you won’t have waited around as long.

Did that make sense?

—so sorry I missed that your trip is to DL—my comments were for WDW—they didn’t have Photopass way back when we went to DL—

I read the same on the parade schedule! I was planning to be in Toontown to see the end of the parade and to go straight to Mickey and Minnie’s houses. Good plan?

I have been told that the ride-averse don’t mind the ride simulation rides as they have a heights (and falls) aversion more than anything. I’m not so sure that their tolerance level will allow any of the three (Indiana Jones, Star Tours, BTMRR), really.

The reason I’m including those rides at all (fingers crossed that they are OK) is because my husband has a list of rides he wants to get in. He’s joining us Thur night late (hopefully just in time for World of Color), so that leaves the family day on Friday and then the super-busy Saturday of Memorial Day weekend to do his list. I want to include as many from his list as possible on Friday to be able to make time for the rest on Saturday. I’m worried that we won’t be able to get them all in. If you have changes you recommend because of this situation, I’d be happy to hear them!

My husband’s list of rides he wants to be sure to hit:
Mark Twain
Pirate’s Lair
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Indiana Jones
Finding Nemo Subs
Space Mtn
Splash Mtn
Big Thunder Mtn RR
California Screamin’
Grizzly River Run

I’m surprised no one mentioned the “changes” (re: enforcement) of FastPass. Your touring plan seems to be looking at the idea of an open-ended return, which is no longer possible. Not to mention, you can’t get a new FP before the window of the current one opens. In other words, you can’t get the Indiana Jones FP until the Star Tour return time. That return time MUST be used in that 1 hour window. So your afternoon run of FP returns is not going to work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Everyone I’ve seen posting right up through the last week has said Disneyland is not enforcing the return time like WDW does. Has this changed?

They were not enforcing at DL when I was there and from what I have heard there are not at this time either.

I echo what Andrea said about ride-adverse with Star Tours etc. But, I think it is fine to have the plan and those people can always bow out if needed. Also, perhaps it will be a group that will not need to be together 24-7 -split up and meet back?

[QUOTE=MommaMouse;1108895]You guys/gals are awesome! I read that I can get the Disneyland photopass for $59.95 and that it is better to order after arriving. Is that accurate? AllEars’ PhotoPass at Disneyland page

Wow, that seems like a good price…I paid a lot more last September when I went to DL. I thought last year it said they gave a discount if you pre ordered. Things change so often with these things. I find allears to be pretty accurate.

[QUOTE=jk8;1108924]They were not enforcing at DL when I was there and from what I have heard there are not at this time either.

I echo what Andrea said about ride-adverse with Star Tours etc. But, I think it is fine to have the plan and those people can always bow out if needed. Also, perhaps it will be a group that will not need to be together 24-7 -split up and meet back?[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

That day is going to be all about togetherness so no splitting that day. We’re planning to be there 6 days. The first four will be me and the kids, this is the one family day with grandparents, then the next day is focused on grown-up rides with my husband.

No, that has not changed. You’re good.

Also, your schedule is perfectly doable. You’ll probably be able to get your second FP somewhere between 20-30 minutes after you get the first one if your’e very quick about it.

Thanks! That’s what I had thought, between the short FP return and the long Nemo ride. :slight_smile: