RFD Fast Pass - BOO, HISS, HISS

Saturday morning, we did the early morning hours at Hollywood Studios. When I get to the Toy Story fast pass machine the return time is 4-5PM, and it’s 45 minutes BEFORE the park opens to the public.

So we get in line and when we get out it’s still 15 minutes before the park opens and now the return time is ALMOST closing time. So if you can into the park when it opened, the passes FOR THE ENTIRE DAY WERE ALREADY GONE!!!

Then I remembered that they were testing the RFD. Before, you HAD to be in the park to get a FP. But with RFD you can book online and reserve your time. You don’t even have to be in the STATE the same day of your FP!?!

This really ticks me off. I see Disney offering a premium FP in the future.

We did have the new RFD room keys, which did not work well EXCEPT on the room door. EVERYBODY in our party had trouble with outside doors and the RFD readers in the counter service locations.

This really irritates me. I honestly, at first, liked the concept of being able to picks a few attractions for Fast Passes before leaving home. In my initial state of ignorance, I had no idea how this would effect the normal Fast Pass System. No, I am not a fan at all now. Half the fun is being able to get there when they open and get your passes etc. With this system, you just go whenever…not a fan at all.

I love the concept of the RFID but I think it is going to take a while for Disney to figure out how to make it work well.

Thinking about this from Disney perspective they want people to stay on property. FP allows anyone the benefit of FP. RFID allows Disney to give preferential treatment to their Resort guest.

Personally if I was working this project at Disney I would have launched an in park reservations system for the RFID allowing resort guest to get “better” FP times than normal FP and once the kinks were worked out I would move to the online/in-room system.

I think the rush to the RFID FP system over other park projects is kind of premature. One of the lessons I model in my own business that I learned from Walt is to start with a big dream and than break it down into smaller projects that prototype aspect and build toward the bigger goal. I would have rolled out more RFID tech in the parks that 1) tested out the underlaying tech 2) got guest use to the concept of the bracelet 3) gave good data on crazy stuff guest would do or encounter using them that couldn’t be dreamed up by developers in a cubical or conf room.

…for a non planner family—who likes to go with the flow when at WDW—this is a terrible idea----I hope I never have to use it in order to get into an attraction—

As you have seen me post many times, we don’t make ADRs–(perhaps one important dinner event a trip) and we get a FP the day of and work around it. Having to plan ahead what time to be at each attraction in a park is ridiculous. I hope that they do something to make this better.

Perhaps they can put a cap on it? But then—that wouldn’t really help because everyone still would choose the hardest attraction to get into to get the RFD—such as Toy Story in DHS----I am all for heading to the attraction first thing in the morning to get a FP for later but this is crazy…

IMHO this is only a business tactic—not helpful to the devoted WDW fans at all…in the long run…

[QUOTE=tigger;1126912]I love the concept of the RFID but I think it is going to take a while for Disney to figure out how to make it work well.

Thinking about this from Disney perspective they want people to stay on property. FP allows anyone the benefit of FP. RFID allows Disney to give preferential treatment to their Resort guest.

Personally if I was working this project at Disney I would have launched an in park reservations system for the RFID allowing resort guest to get “better” FP times than normal FP and once the kinks were worked out I would move to the online/in-room system.

I think the rush to the RFID FP system over other park projects is kind of premature. One of the lessons I model in my own business that I learned from Walt is to start with a big dream and than break it down into smaller projects that prototype aspect and build toward the bigger goal. I would have rolled out more RFID tech in the parks that 1) tested out the underlaying tech 2) got guest use to the concept of the bracelet 3) gave good data on crazy stuff guest would do or encounter using them that couldn’t be dreamed up by developers in a cubical or conf room.[/QUOTE]

Agreed…you said it best, so I won’t try to say it again.

So with the new pass that you can “reserve” times what happens with an attraction like TSM that has return time at 8am for 4pm for those in the park and then those holding the “reserve” times never show up?

Say they get sick, go to another park, are stuck on a bus or monorail, etc.

Personally I love to plan but not to this extent!! This is crazy. So I get to the park for 8am, FP rerturn time is 4pm but now say I have dining at a different park at that time. So I have to either wait in line or not go on the ride. But in the meantime there are those not showing up for their reserve time and those in the parks can’t benefit from that.

And by the way no ride/attraction at Disney is worth the wait times posted. I love Disney but my feet do not and couldn’t take that long of a wait :slight_smile:

OK, PLEASE explain the RFD…I have not worried about it but we are going in March and we had FP’s down to science…just wondering how bad this is going to throw me off my FP game

This must have just gone on line since Wednesday 12/5.
All we had was an RFID room key that didn’t do anything but open our room and allow charging to the room only when the magnetic stripe is swiped.

I’m not liking it already!

[QUOTE=Eponine;1126915]So with the new pass that you can “reserve” times what happens with an attraction like TSM that has return time at 8am for 4pm for those in the park and then those holding the “reserve” times never show up?

Say they get sick, go to another park, are stuck on a bus or monorail, etc.

Personally I love to plan but not to this extent!! This is crazy. So I get to the park for 8am, FP rerturn time is 4pm but now say I have dining at a different park at that time. So I have to either wait in line or not go on the ride. But in the meantime there are those not showing up for their reserve time and those in the parks can’t benefit from that.

And by the way no ride/attraction at Disney is worth the wait times posted. I love Disney but my feet do not and couldn’t take that long of a wait :)[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget the two hour rule where you can’t get another fast pass from a machine until your current FP is active or the first two hours have passed on the FP you’re holding that won’t be active for another 6 hours.

There are very few rides in this world that will have me wait more than 45 minutes for, and nothing at Disney parks is worth more than a 20 minute wait to me. In order to wait even 45 minutes, this has got to be one amazing ride and to wait 2 hours, it had better be one of the top 5 coasters in the world. And even then, if it looks like the wait times will be better later, I’ll do something else in order to keep riding.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

I forgot! Thank you for the reminder. My head is aching already and I’m not going until November :ohmy:

I wonder people who have a RFD fast pass, once they get to the park, can they get fast passes like anyone else? Say they have a RFD FP for TSM at 10 a.m., can they walk into the park and at 9:30 get a fast past for star tours?

Is RFD (Reservation for Dining)? I know when we do Akershush, we get in park early and I immediately go to the land and get Soarin’ FP before the park opens. I do not know the policy, I just know that we have done it. It did appear that a few CM’s had no idea if this was allowed or not, but they did not stop us.

[QUOTE=tigger;1126912]I love the concept of the RFID but I think it is going to take a while for Disney to figure out how to make it work well.

I think the rush to the RFID FP system over other park projects is kind of premature. One of the lessons I model in my own business that I learned from Walt is to start with a big dream and than break it down into smaller projects that prototype aspect and build toward the bigger goal. I would have rolled out more RFID tech in the parks that 1) tested out the underlaying tech 2) got guest use to the concept of the bracelet 3) gave good data on crazy stuff guest would do or encounter using them that couldn’t be dreamed up by developers in a cubical or conf room.[/QUOTE]

So how do you get this RFID ahead of time if you are staying in the resort. I thought it was your room key but this post mentions a “bracelet”. Will it be given prior to arrival to book your fast pass ahead of time?

It is RFID technology. Right now I guess it is just in a room key but I have read they are moving towards a bracelet (I don’t know where they are in the process).

RFID simply put is just an antenna that sends out a coded signal when energized by a RFID radio. Some example of RFID technology being used are automated toll ways. As your car passes through the toll both a radio signal energizes the RFID antenna on your toll pass which than broadcast you toll ID. MobileExxon uses RFID with their speed pass payment system as well.

Disney uses them with their quest card game at the MK as well.

The RFID antenna can be really small and it looks like a computer chip.

You might have them embedded in your credit card. There are also have printable RFID that will soon replace barcodes on packaging.

From a guest experience aspect I believe there is so much Disney could do with this tech. Maybe they could do a FourSquare type thing where you RFID is linked to an account that can keep track of your activities visiting the parks, connect to PhotoID so you don’t have to look up your PhotoID number from a ride because it knows when you rode. Allow you to tell the park to recognize you so you get special greetings as you move around the parks. There is a ton of stuff I can think of…and FP would be one of the last things I would touch if I was running the project. I can think of a half dozen ways to use RFID to improve the guest experience and enhance resort guest stay.

This was a test ran last week. Select guests with certain check-in dates that were using Magical Express were selected to try this. They received a packet in the mail and had to log on to a site. They then were able to pick certain attractions on certain days at certain times. The test parks were DHS and MK. I assume because only two parks were being used, everyone and their mother picked TSM and made that a no-win situation for the day. Many of the people selected were for check-ins dated 12/10 which by the way was a starting date for FREE dining in December.

We usually go the 2nd weekend as DW has trouble getting off before the 10th but with the 1st being Sat this year we went essentially the same dates but were on the 3rd weekend.

It was crowded that’s for sure.

I understand wanting to give guests extra perks, but there must be a better solution.

Can I ask an obvious question???

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH FP THE WAY IT WAS???

Agree. This really stinks.
If they MUST allow it I wish advanced times could not be reserved in an a.m. EMH park until after noon. This concept would allow those staying onsite that participate in it to at least make it worth their while of showing up that early. Otherwise what’s the point of that perk.
I know, that sounds like a temporary solution to a bigger problem, but at least it’s a starting point.

The way I see it FP benefitted those of us who knew WDW the best anyway…better said, the ones of us who have spent the most $$$ at WDW through the years. The frequent visitors. We know which rides to FP and when, we know where they are and even get a sense of the crowd level and wait times better.

I know I used the FP better than friends who have only been once but it was bc I have paid for the knowledge first hand on how to work it.