River Country

I just came across some recent photos of River Country on disboards.com and what a shock. They have just let the place go to ruins and I just loved this water park. I went to it in 1992 on my first trip and it is a shame that they didn’t do something with it besides plowing over some of it for a CM parking lot. This saddens me.

I’ve seen similar pictures and it is sad. I didn’t go to RC and the thought of lake water would keep me away but I would love to see Disney reopen it again but in a way that would make the water safer.

On a similar note, I ran across a blog this spring where some young people swam to Discovery Island and took some pictures. It looked as bad as River Country.

I wish they would do something with it also, I have very fond childhood memories of River Country.

Yes we do too and of Discovery Island. We were shocked when we saw how it had been allowed to overgrow and as a consequence, now it looks so neglected:ohmy:

These guys swam to Discovery Island and took some pictures. The Photography of Shane Perez: Discovery Island

Oh, yeah. Were you reading Tri-Circle-D’s TR on the Camping boards? He has some really great photos of the River Country ruins. It’s crazy - there’s this stand with flippers still there. They really just let it fall apart.

Here’s the flippers I was referring to: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/Tri-Circle-D/Fort%20June%202010/FW610199.jpg

For the entire TR, go here: It’s a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort! - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

He has a lot of pictures of crazy electrical work with duct tape.

And it looks like they’re testing the water.

It’s just… creepy. But I so want to check it out myself!!! :laugh:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1039558]Here’s the flippers I was referring to: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/Tri-Circle-D/Fort%20June%202010/FW610199.jpg

For the entire TR, go here: It’s a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort! - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

He has a lot of pictures of crazy electrical work with duct tape.

And it looks like they’re testing the water.

It’s just… creepy. But I so want to check it out myself!!! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I found this randomly one day too! I couldn’t believe it. It’s creepy but in a fascinating way! I just wish they would do something with it. It seems very un-Disney to just let something rot away!

Where was River Country? I know it was in the Fort Wilderness area but where exactly?

I’ve never been to Fort Wilderness before so I can’t say where it’s located from on property but here’s a birds eye view of a map, if that’s at all helpful.

Abandoned Disney Water park - River Country (Bing Maps) - Virtual Globetrotting

If you take the boat from MK to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness you’ll see River Country on your right side as you near Fort Wilderness.

When we went to Mickey’s BYBBQ ( I think) the rest rooms were right by River Country, and although there is a huge fence round it was possible in parts to peep through. The water slide where I did my world famous belly flop (ouch) was there neglected and covered in wild plants- and as Curious Alice said it’s quite creepy. We had alot of fun there and I think it’s sad its been left this way.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1039547]I’ve seen similar pictures and it is sad. I didn’t go to RC and the thought of lake water would keep me away but I would love to see Disney reopen it again but in a way that would make the water safer.

On a similar note, I ran across a blog this spring where some young people swam to Discovery Island and took some pictures. It looked as bad as River Country.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean that they used lake water in River Country? :confused:

I dont know, but I do know the water was pretty murky with a sandy type bottom. I always thought it had been ‘Disney staged’ to look like river water, but after reading other stuff, maybe it really was:crying:

Where the obstacle course type thing was it was lake water as well as a few slides that dumped out into the open water.

There was a kiddie place and another pool that had two slides that dropped into it but the majority of the water park was made up by regular bay water and this is why it eventually closed (on top of not being a popular as the bigger water parks-or so it’s been said).

I guess there are some type of amoebas that lie dormant in the sandy bottom of the lake water and when it reaches a certain temperature and little feet stir them up, they can be potentially dangerous to humans. (this is what I have read upon lots of research about RC- I think it’s fascinating! :laugh:)

Yeah, still Florida water is supposedly full of bacteria.

However, they still allow people to ski, water ski, or tube in the lake if they wish to pay the hefty price. And even though the beaches say “no swimming,” people will still stick their feet in.

If you want to get freaked out, here’s a good article to read: The Disney Wedding Blog: Reminder: Stay Out of Florida Lakes!!!

But I think that as long as you don’t drink the water or have an open wound, you’ll probably be okay.

No different than many of the lakes her in good old SC. But we seem to find a way to survive another day after swimming.

Haha, for real. We live on Lake Hartwell, and it is so nasty! It’s a man-made lake, and they didn’t clean out the low land before filling it - so there’s houses and trees in the bottom of the lake. They did a better job with Lake Keowee.

Also, you aren’t supposed to eat the fish from the lake because back in the mid-'70s, a Pickens County plant dumped polychlorinated biphenyls (yeah, I had to google that long word!). It’s supposed to cause cancer or something.

Okay, sorry of the off-topic post and thread jack!!!

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1039652]Yeah, still Florida water is supposedly full of bacteria.

However, they still allow people to ski, water ski, or tube in the lake if they wish to pay the hefty price. And even though the beaches say “no swimming,” people will still stick their feet in.

If you want to get freaked out, here’s a good article to read: The Disney Wedding Blog: Reminder: Stay Out of Florida Lakes!!!

But I think that as long as you don’t drink the water or have an open wound, you’ll probably be okay.[/QUOTE]

You can water ski and such because you’re out in deep water and you don’t touch the bottom of the lake. The bacteria lives in the sandy bottom and gets stirred up into the water when something like feet step all over the sand. I think that’s why they don’t allow swimming in that sense.

Again, this is what I’ve read, I’m no master at this stuff! :laugh:

I spend a lot of time at a lake in Virginia, but we are safer here because we have cold winters to kill a lot of the microbes in the lake. I guess I just assumed that there were regulations that mandated that the water in pools and water parks be treated.