Room occupancy maximums

Does anyone know how WDW sets their max. number of people allowed in a room? I would have assumed it was set according to fire codes set by the state of Florida? I find it very confusing that we as DVC members are allowed a total of 5 people in a BW 1 bedroom villa which is 712 square feet but in an All Star Suite you can have 6 people plus an infant and it is 540 square feet! I would like to get an explanation for this but am not sure who to pursue it through any thoughts?

That’s the way it is, it’s their WDW.

The family suites have two beds in one room and a sleeper sofa and chair with ottoman in the other. This is considered enough bed for 6 adults. The villa has only a sofa and one king bed.
Additionally, because they were created from pairs of adjoining rooms, they have two full bathrooms, unlike one bedroom villas. Also, the family suites don’t have full kitchens (or any kitchens for that matter) and dinette areas which would account for the additional square footage of the one bedroom villa.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;956524]The family suites have two beds in one room and a sleeper sofa and chair with ottoman in the other. This is considered enough bed for 6 adults. The villa has only a sofa and one king bed.
Additionally, because they were created from pairs of adjoining rooms, they have two full bathrooms, unlike one bedroom villas. Also, the family suites don’t have full kitchens (or any kitchens for that matter) and dinette areas which would account for the additional square footage of the one bedroom villa.[/QUOTE]

Actually I have stayed in an All Star Suite and that is not how the room is set up. There is a queen bed in the bedroom, a sleeper sofa and 2 sleeper chairs with ottomans. I understand that they are figuring 2 people in the bed, 2 people on the sleeper sofa and 1 person each on the sleeper chair. My point is in a one bedroom villa such as the BLT there will be a king bed which should be able to sleep 3 if children are involved, a sleeper sofa could sleep 2 and a sleeper chair there by giving me sleeping space for 6. The All Star suite doesn’t have a full kitchen but does have the microwave and small refrigerator set up.

I only have one child and we’ve never been able to book a king room at any hotel for 3 people. Even though we could all sleep in the same bed when my son was little no hotel would allow us to do that. I’m sure DIsney/DVC is looking at it the same way, 2 in a king bed.

I agree, from our experience, any hotel would only allow for max two people in a bed size double or larger. The only way you could get an additional person in a room is if you have a child under the age of 3. They are usually still considered a baby and are allowed in a crib.

We are a family of 5 and once DD2 turns 3 this year we will have to be looking for two rooms or a suite room at any hotel.

We just officially became a family of 5 also, as DD is now 3. We’re going in Aug. and staying at POR in one of the rooms with a trundle. It’s another option you may want to check out that might work while she’s still little.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong.
I could have sworn that when I glanced into a couple family suites that had their curtains open I saw two beds.
I stand corrected.

Just blue skying here, but aren’t roll away beds available?
As it’s only DW and me (with the exception of the time we took my nephew and stayed at the Yacht) and number of beds is less of an issue than the size of those beds. In our case, obviously a king or queen is what is needed. When we’ve stayed at mods or values and confronted by two double beds, I usually wind up switching to the other bed in the middle of the night because a double is just too small for the two of us.

I have 3 children ages 11 and up. We have stayed at some hotels with two beds and used a cot for one child. This works for one or two nights but not a prolonged stay. When researching Disney hotels, there were only a few options for our family of five.
We either have to get a suite or rent a house when we travel. We have only stayed in villas when visiting Disney. Staying on property isn’t affortable for us and three older children in one room is just not enjoyable. We are all happier with a little space.

I’m only mentioning this for comparison.
When I first hit the road with a band, there were 8 of us on a low budget. This meant only two rooms, but the lead singer wouldn’t share his bed.
I didn’t like sharing a bed with another man, so I opted to sleep on the floor (we bought a 6 inch thick 7 foot long foam rubber pad/couch cushion) because we didn’t (well the band partners) want to pay for a roll away. On nights that we had three rooms, we three in the crew would break one bed and one of us got the mattress on the floor while the other got the box spring or I’d bring in my bed.
But coming back to the room division when there were only two, it would be the singer, drummer, and keyboard in one room while the other would have lights, sound, stage, bass, and guitar all sharing. That’s right, 5 grown adult men in one room. The only saving grace, other than my mat, was that the crew would be up and out by 10:30 because we had to be to the next venue by 4. The musicians could leave as late as 1 PM and we always asked for late check out. This way we didn’t have the mad crush of all 5 needing to $***, shower, and shave all at the same time. It did get really cramped though if we had a day off or were playing the same place for two or three nights. And this wasn’t just for a week or two. This went on for 5 and 6 weeks at a time with only a few days home during all this travel for close to one year.
Eventually we on the crew staged a revolt of sorts and read the riot act so that we had our own room and a roll away, although I would often opt to use my own “bed” because it was usually more comfortable than all but Howard Johnsons’ roll aways.
Not that I’m complaining.

We are a family of 5 and have crammed into rooms, used rollaways, brought a inflatable mattress, but there is still only one bathroom and limited space for luggage, etc. We will now get two rooms, one for the messy children:laugh: and then one for me and my husband. We have thought adjoining rooms at POP or maybe off site (which is not what we want to do). Not sure there is an affordable option at Disney, once you start paying for two rooms at anything moderate or above you are looking at big bucks for a 7 to 10 day vacation.

We stayed at the Beach Club resort last time and it was nice with the sofa bed, but still would be crowded with 5 people trying to use the bathroom, etc.