Room Only & add DDP later vs a Package

Ok, what would you do…

I have been pricing out resorts for our stay in June 2013. I was thinking of booking a “room only” ressie and adding the DDP later on down the road. First off, can I do that? I know you can do that when renting DVC points but I wasn’t sure about a regular stay.

I was then going to purchase the tickets from either AAA or AARP (DH got a membership for discounts) and then adding the tickets to our room upon arrival as we did when renting DVC points. Again, I am not sure if we can do it this way.

The other problem is…DH, DS and I are going for 10 days and my DSS and his DGF are going for possibly 7. I was thinking of either booking 2 reservations - 1 for 3 days and 1 for 7 days w/ the additional family members. Should I book one ressie or two? I think with the DDP, it may be easier but then again, if I do one ressie we will have extra DDP credits to play with.

What to do???

WOW! That’s alot.

Which week in June?

[QUOTE=Dana;1115875]WOW! That’s alot.

Which week in June?[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Last time we went (2011) we rented DVC points at SSR since we originally had 7 going and then in the end it was 4:angry: Couldn’t cancel the DVC and had 2 br with loads of extra space. Learned a HUGE lesson…everyone book their own trip!

Anyway, we were planning on arriving 6/12 and departing 6/22. Now DSS is saying they are thinking of arriving 6/16 and departing 6/24. With this change, I think we may wind up making separate ressies. I don’t see how this would work any other way:crying:

Since we may be booking separate rooms, we are now thinking a mod resort. DH, DS and I have been to CBR several times and DSS has been to POR several times. I was thinking CSR for something different but I really want to go to POFQ. Since that resort is small, I want to book as soon as I can. So we are going to have another Disney meeting to figure out dates.

I don’t know how others do it with extended family members that arrive at other times?? If anyone has, please share.

Book them as completely separate packages and save yourself the headache. Go to POFQ - do it soon and make sure you are on top of the discounts. Because of it’s size and popularity, it’s the first to lose availability for codes.

When booking a non-DVC room, you can’t buy the Disney Dining Plan a la carte, it can only be booked as part of a package that includes at least a minimum park ticket purchase of a 1-day base ticket. This will stop you from buying tickets elsewhere.

Yes, you can add the DDP and tickets any time up to about 3 days before arrival. But it’s important to keep payment terms in mind. When you book a room-only reservation, your balance isn’t due until you check-in at the front desk. By contrast, full payment is due on package reservations no later than 45 days prior to arrival. If you book the package fewer than 45 days prior to arrival, then the full balance is due IMMEDIATELY at the time you book. So if a month before the trip you add the DDP and tickets to your resort reservation, every penny of the entire trip will be due at that exact moment.

You definitely DON’T want to book it as 2 different reservations if you’re going to buy the Disney Dining Plan with both resort stays, it would be unnecessarily expensive.

Remember, in order to book the DDP, you must do it as part of a package, and a package is defined as a bundled purchase of room + tickets. This means if you book a 3-day package and then a separate 7-day package and you want the DDP with both, you’d have to buy your tickets separately and that drives up the cost. In this scenario, the best you could do (assuming you’re going to a park each day) is book the first part with a 9-day ticket and the DDP and then book the second part with a 1-day ticket.

If you MUST book it as two separate stays …
My advice is book the first stay as a package with the DDP and a 10-day ticket, and then book the second part as a room-only and then pay out of pocket for your meals starting on the day after your second check-in (remember, DDP credits are good through 11:59 p.m. on your check-out day).

So here are some ticket cost scenarios:

A 10-day park hopper: $375
A 9-day park hopper + a 1-day base ticket: $454
A 3-day park hopper + a 7-day park hopper: $644

With those numbers, you can see why I’m advising what I’m advising. You can get 10 days of park admission for $375, or you could get the very same 10 days of park admission for $644. It all depends how you book it.

Thanks for all the advise. You think you know it all and then the wrench gets thrown into it. We’ve decided to book our own reservations so now I have to find out how we go about getting our rooms close to one another. Next to one another would be the ideal situation.

Book both by phone, tell them you want the reservations “linked” … use that word … and then request connecting rooms. Even if you never use the connecting door, it puts you directly next-door to each other (if the request is granted, that is). If you request adjoining rooms, that’s not the same as connecting; in Disney-speak, adjoining could possibly mean next-door but can also mean across the hall, a few rooms away, or immediately around the corner.

Request a “book with” reservation. Does what the above post says…link or marry them.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1116036]
Yes, you can add the DDP and tickets any time up to about 3 days before arrival. But it’s important to keep payment terms in mind. When you book a room-only reservation, your balance isn’t due until you check-in at the front desk. By contrast, full payment is due on package reservations no later than 45 days prior to arrival. If you book the package fewer than 45 days prior to arrival, then the full balance is due IMMEDIATELY at the time you book. So if a month before the trip you add the DDP and tickets to your resort reservation, every penny of the entire trip will be due at that exact moment.[/QUOTE]

Then again, if you’ve bought that package long before the 45 day mark, you’ll still need to settle up for the full amount at 45 days.
Many times now I have pushed it all the way to three days and then changed the room only reservation to a package.
One thing to remember though is that a room only reservation is held with a deposit of one night and when you change from room only to a package, that original deposit CAN NOT be credited to the new reservation (changing to a package IS a new reservation), but will be credited back to your credit card in about 2-3 business days.

For me, by doing the change as close to my arrival as possible, I am able to delay full payment until a few days before check in and cause as little disruption to my finances as possible.