Rumors of Avengers based attraction at WDW!

Rumors of Avengers based attraction at WDW!

In a potentially exciting development, though, Iger also mentioned that Avengers-based attractions are being planned for Disney’s theme parks. This could be particularly interesting at Walt Disney World, where Universal’s nearby Islands of Adventure park already has Marvel superhero-based rides and other attractions.

Full: The Avengers Sequel, Disney Park Attractions Officially in the Works, Surprising Nobody | GeekDad | Wired.com

Rowdy Raider had mentioned a few weeks ago that Universal has a contract clause stating no one else can do Marvel characters east of the Mississippi. So I’m skeptical.

Yeah, me too - but maybe at California Adventure? :laugh:

The lawyers will find a way if they can, if that’s what Disney wants.
Then again, with a worldwide gross of over $600 million so far, the pressure will be on for Disney to start to bring in Marvel characters that Universal isn’t using and potentially even crazier, tie IOA’s Marvel Superheroes Island to something in DHS and both companies can collaborate and take even more money from our pockets.
You will notice that The Avengers isn’t Paramount or Sony, but fully Disney.

(And all that money smooths over some of the disaster known as John Carter)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1109855]You will notice that The Avengers isn’t Paramount or Sony, but fully Disney.

(And all that money smooths over some of the disaster known as John Carter)[/QUOTE]

Actually, I recall seeing the Paramount introduction at the beginning of the film…

Marvel pictures is working on a number of characters that the general public won’t know. The Inhumans are in the works. My understanding is Paramount has license of Fantastic Four and Spiderman, which makes it hard to reconcile the Marvel Universe in film.

Paramount had their distribution rights to the movie bought out by Disney. The logo is still in there as they do still get a small percentage in it and it will be released through Epix rather than Starz to Cable. Iron Man 3 is the other movie they still have a hand in due to agreements made before Marvel was purchased by Disney.

I would say an Avengers monorail shows that Disney legal is finding loopholes in the Universal contracts.

Paramount had their distribution rights to the movie bought out by Disney. The logo is still in there as they do still get a small percentage in it and it will be released through Epix rather than Starz to Cable. Iron Man 3 is the other movie they still have a hand in due to agreements made before Marvel was purchased by Disney.

I would say an Avengers monorail shows that Disney legal is finding loopholes in the Universal contracts but there are rampant rumors that say the Universal contract may expire as soon as year end while most believe it is 2016.

Check out the Wikipedia article The Avengers (2012 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , This is one of those really twisted license/ownership things I always go on about.

In 2005, Marvel Studios “declared” its independence (I guess from any outside ownership). Then there’s a five film deal for Paramount to distribute Marvel Studios’ films. In 2010, Disney paid Paramount $115 million for worldwide distribution rights while Paramount gets to keep their 8 percent box office fee it would have earned for distributing the film and placement of the company’s logo on marketing materials. As a result, the onscreen production credit reads “Marvel Studios in association with Paramount Pictures” though the film is owned, distributed and marketed by Disney.

It’s a mess and that’s why they pay lawyers millions of dollars a year on retainer fees.

Just remember, eventually in the 90’s, Universal wound up with the rights and prints of Oswald, which the lawyers used to get NBC Olympics rights for the next 16 years or so while Disney finally regained all rights to Oswald (Mickey’s older brother?)

Wasn’t there was a sports announcer or two involved in the trade along with the Oswald license and the olympic broadcast rights?

I don’t think so. NBC kept Bob Costas and I don’t think ESPN wanted Olbermann back. In fact, if anything, Dan Patrick showed up on NBC for their Sunday night football broadcasts when that started not long after he left ESPN TV. But I don’t think the two are connected.

I really really want to ride an Avengers ride! Who do I call to make that happen? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Speaking of The Avengers, how about a Mrs. Peel ride?

Everytime the news has talked about the movie for the past month, this is what keeps running thru my mind…I finally got my brain to realize it was a totally different movie…until now…:laugh:

Don’t feel bad. I’d forgotten it was the Marvel Avengers more than a few times and I had to stop and remind myself this wasn’t a new remake of the classic Brit TV series.
And I’ve been eagerly waiting for this movie.

Wait - if this is a Disney movie, why can’t I get Disney Movie Rewards for it? I saw it twice!! I want to be rewarded!!! :laugh: