RunDisney Question

Hi everyone, I am so sorry for being MIA…its been really crazy here. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!!!

now for my quick question, has anyone done or is going to do any DISNEY MARATHONS?
if so can you tell me any info.
Like do you get any special rate for staying on property etc.
any info would be helpful.

I am considering the 10mile tower of terror run…
I never did a marathon, and i just started training for the past couple of months, i am only up to about 4.5 miles…I am going to attempt my first 5k this sunday.

so from now till sept. i think i will be able to do 10miles…I hope at least.

my husband said, if airfare is decent then i can go for it…i found a flight for 199.40 ROUND TRIP, which according to my husband is good and he said i should book it, but i don’t know any details about the run yet and i want to make sure i am truly going to do this.

so any info would be great, thank you

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror? 10-Miler Weekend | runDisney | Amateur Sports | ESPN Wide World of Sports

You should find everything you need in the link above. My DB has done quite a few races and I do believe that they do have discounted rooms at the “race resorts”.

I have only done a 5k in Epcot and it was so much fun… who knows, maybe I’ll join you (that is if I can get my big fat booty running again!)

Doing the 1/2 marathon on 1/7/12, but we are DVC members so special rates don’t apply. Wish me luck…my first 1/2 marathon. My goal is just to finish and not to set any records. Good luck with your training.

[QUOTE=johnkimv;1098248]The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror? 10-Miler Weekend | runDisney | Amateur Sports | ESPN Wide World of Sports

You should find everything you need in the link above. My DB has done quite a few races and I do believe that they do have discounted rooms at the “race resorts”.

I have only done a 5k in Epcot and it was so much fun… who knows, maybe I’ll join you (that is if I can get my big fat booty running again!)[/QUOTE]

thank you, i have that link saved in my fav’s…unfort. its not updated yet with all the info…i’ll keep checking.
but thank you for letting me know that they do offer some discounts.
I am doing my first 5K this sunday, new years day…wish me luck!
You know once details are finalized I will be back here to let you all know!:heart:

oh awesome!!!
lots of luck to you!!!

I asked DH if I should do the 1/2 in Feb. but I know I will not be ready for that.
And it seems so timed, if i read it right, if you can’t keep up the pace they take you to the end…did i read that right?

[QUOTE=pixeemom;1098253]oh awesome!!!
lots of luck to you!!!

I asked DH if I should do the 1/2 in Feb. but I know I will not be ready for that.
And it seems so timed, if i read it right, if you can’t keep up the pace they take you to the end…did i read that right?[/QUOTE]

There is a certain time limit on races because the roads can only stay closed for so long. As long as you finish within that time, you will be fine. Also, those times are usually created keeping people who walk these races in mind. The Princess 1/2 in February requires you to keep a 16 minute/mile pace average, and I’d imagine the Tower of Terror race will be similar.

Good luck with your 5K! :happy:

[QUOTE=Schultzie;1098284]There is a certain time limit on races because the roads can only stay closed for so long. As long as you finish within that time, you will be fine. Also, those times are usually created keeping people who walk these races in mind. The Princess 1/2 in February requires you to keep a 16 minute/mile pace average, and I’d imagine the Tower of Terror race will be similar.

Good luck with your 5K! :happy:[/QUOTE]

:wink:
thank you!

[QUOTE=pixeemom;1098253]oh awesome!!!
lots of luck to you!!!

And it seems so timed, if i read it right, if you can’t keep up the pace they take you to the end…did i read that right?[/QUOTE]

Maintaining the time restrictions for the run should definitely not be a problem. And I understand there is so much entertainment going on that I’ve heard you don’t even realize how far you have gone. I’m getting a little nervous as the days tick by, but I’ll give it a shot!

:heart: lots of luck!!!
i wish i was ready for the 1/2…can’t wait to hear all about it!

I am running the WDW 1/2 Marathon next Saturday and I ran the same race last year. It is an amazingly well prepared, entertaining and fun event. I highly recommend it. I have not run others but I imagine that they are similar. I hope to do so someday.

I would tell you that you would be very surprised how far you can run. I am no gazelle. Last year I ran 11 minute miles which is respectable for an older fart (46) but not quick. I finished like 9,000th place out of 22,000 runners (I think) so it is not just an elite event. It is for the masses! :laugh:

Go for it!

[QUOTE=skwak;1098357]I am running the WDW 1/2 Marathon next Saturday and I ran the same race last year. It is an amazingly well prepared, entertaining and fun event. I highly recommend it. I have not run others but I imagine that they are similar. I hope to do so someday.

I would tell you that you would be very surprised how far you can run. I am no gazelle. Last year I ran 11 minute miles which is respectable for an older fart (46) but not quick. I finished like 9,000th place out of 22,000 runners (I think) so it is not just an elite event. It is for the masses! :laugh:

Go for it![/QUOTE]

:wink: thank you!!!
I have to get myself a new pedometer, i use an app on my iphone it was working great but now i think its slowly not because I know I am running more then what its saying :ohmy:

[QUOTE=pixeemom;1098359]:wink: thank you!!!
I have to get myself a new pedometer, i use an app on my iphone it was working great but now i think its slowly not because I know I am running more then what its saying :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

I am a low-tech runner (I have friends with GPS watches) but I find if I really want to know what shape I am in, I hit the HS track about once a month. That way you know the distance and can also control your pace. I use a baseball pitch counter to count laps. Not very exciting but it is some nice quiet time for the voices in my head to communicate clearly! :eek:

:mickey:
i hear ya!!

Some of us don’t need to run to hear voices?? :laugh::laugh:

Good luck to everyone running. My back has forced me to end my running and concentrate on other activities. I miss logging miles. It was a great way to relax.

It is not a disney run but earlier this month I ran the Las Vegas Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon. I finished with a time of 2:09. However, this being my first half marathon i was very very unprepared. Now running was not the problem since i trained for that. What happened was I dehydrated myself which I found is extremely easy to do since you are using so much energy. What happened was I was good till about mile 11 and then my thighs and stomach began cramping up, and my feet hurt so bad, and it took about 3 hours before I could keep anything down.

My suggestions is first get some body glide and put that on the bottoms of your feet and anywhere chaffing can occur (I know it sounds gross but trust me you will feel so much better). Now my race was at night so figuring out my meal schedule was hard and that was part of my problem, but I prefer eating lots of banana’s. Also invest in some gel packs called GU, it will give you some well needed energy and have one every couple miles with some water. It will keep your energy up and in turn it will keep your endurance up. Lastly, have water at all the drink stations and don’t just have a gulp and spit it out to get your mouth wet, actually drink some and hydrate the rest of your body.

I trained alot before mine and was ready for it but I did not expect the effects running that far can do to your body. For me I only ever plan on doing 1 marathon and have decided to do the Disney World Marathon through the parks, but I am a couple years away from that.

Good luck, train hard, and have fun

One last thing when training find YOUR comfortable mile pace. I also use the Nike plus GPS app and if you put it on the basic setting it will give you your mile times so try to work and keep a mile time that will work for you to last that long. You don’t want to go too fast too early and die out in the middle of the race.

That is awesome “I finished with a time of 2:09”. I will be slower than that bt about 15 minutes.

All of your advice is very sound. Body Glide is a must. Chaffing is a killer and you will pay for that for days.

You left out this:

The race ends at Epcot about at rope drop. Have a friend bring a bag of extra clothes, sneakers, etc. Change in the bathroom outside the park. Rent a locker and shove all your swety stuff in there and hit the park. You would be surprised how good that 1st beer tastes! :laugh:

[QUOTE=CDavis9088;1098380]It is not a disney run but earlier this month I ran the Las Vegas Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon. I finished with a time of 2:09. However, this being my first half marathon i was very very unprepared. Now running was not the problem since i trained for that. What happened was I dehydrated myself which I found is extremely easy to do since you are using so much energy. What happened was I was good till about mile 11 and then my thighs and stomach began cramping up, and my feet hurt so bad, and it took about 3 hours before I could keep anything down.

My suggestions is first get some body glide and put that on the bottoms of your feet and anywhere chaffing can occur (I know it sounds gross but trust me you will feel so much better). Now my race was at night so figuring out my meal schedule was hard and that was part of my problem, but I prefer eating lots of banana’s. Also invest in some gel packs called GU, it will give you some well needed energy and have one every couple miles with some water. It will keep your energy up and in turn it will keep your endurance up. Lastly, have water at all the drink stations and don’t just have a gulp and spit it out to get your mouth wet, actually drink some and hydrate the rest of your body.

I trained alot before mine and was ready for it but I did not expect the effects running that far can do to your body. For me I only ever plan on doing 1 marathon and have decided to do the Disney World Marathon through the parks, but I am a couple years away from that.

Good luck, train hard, and have fun[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!
I def. know I need to drink, I just ran 5 miles now and I came home and told my husband I need water…I am not well prepared for anything more then 5 miles, at least not yet…I have a 5 mile fun run tomorrow and I am not sure what to bring with me my husband has some peanut butter power bars, and i will def. be drinking water from the water stations

your right skwak a change of cloths is a must. I had some with me but I was so in pain that I did not want to put them on for a while. However, it is good to get like some puma pants or adidas pants to keep yourself warm after the race so your muscules do not tighten up on you.

Another thing I will share for all attending this weekend:

At the expo there should be a booth set up for a company called One More Mile. They sell some of the most witty sayings I have ever seen for runners on shirts, magnets, etc. You can check them out at:

One More Mile Running Apparel - OneMoreMileRunning.com

I got a shirt from there that I actually ordered because I was picky about color (they do not bring everything to expo). It says: “In my dreams, I am a Kenyan”.

Many of the booths at the expo are crummy (IMO) but this one is work every minute spent there!