Save Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner

Mousebuzzers…

When I was at LTT for dinner last week, the manager came up to us and asked us how everything was. Both my wife and I mentioned that LTT was one of our favorite meals, and was sad to see the characters going. The manager handed me a card and thanked us for our feedback. He suggested that we tell disney directly. Here is the contact information from the card:

WDW Guest Communications
Executive offices

PO BOX 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

He did mention that if enough people express their feelings to management, we perhaps can save the character dinner. The official reason he said for it being discontinued was to allow more people the ability to walk in and be able to eat.

COME ON PEOPLE - IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THE CHARACTER DINNER - HERE IS OUR CHANCE…

There was a thread that Rowdy started with a sign up sheet too, awhile back!

I’ll sign/send . . . we love LTT! :heart:

“Every time my family and I have eaten there the place was full.
If the character dinner is stopped, then are the dinner prices going down, probably not.
If Disney thinks they will get more walk ups and fill the place, I don’t think so.
It’s the character dinner that fills the place. I realize the cost of paying people to dress
as characters is costly, but the price of the dinner could be raised to offset this.
I think people will always pay more for the dinner if the characters are included.
We have already NOT renewed our Annual Passes and are not going to WDW this spring.
We are scheduled for October 2009 and that’s an IF.
Wake up Disney, there’s an economy crisis out there.
Disney has to give people a reason to come back again and again!
This is from a family that has been to WDW every year since 1986 and twice a year
since 1999.”

joseph3947
MouseBuzz

O.K. I did it!

Nooo Id hate to see the characters go, we’ve only just experienced the LTT and loved every minute of it, the characters were fantastic, tons of interaction a dn great costume and entertainment, I can’t belive they’d take the characters away!!

I also sent an email. I agree, the reason LT is so popular is because of the characters. The meal is good, but just good, nothing spectacular. I think people will only use it as an “overflow” need a meal and everything else is booked type of restaurant then.

On the subject of cutbacks, I read that:

1. The 4 singers (Return 2 Zero) that would sometimes perform before Beauty
    and the Beast are gone.
  2. The African singers/dancers (Tam Tam’s of the Congo) that would perform in
    Harumbe (sp.) are gone.
  3. Fantasmic will go down to 2 days a week starting in January.
  4. The Flower Power concerts will only be on weekends during the Flower and
    Garden show at Epcot this March thru May.
  5. All Pirate and Princess Party’s gone.
    Cutbacks with probably increases in tickets, rooms, food, and everything else.
    Just venting.

[QUOTE=joseph3947;911955]On the subject of cutbacks, I read that:

1. The 4 singers (Return 2 Zero) that would sometimes perform before Beauty
    and the Beast are gone.
  2. The African singers/dancers (Tam Tam’s of the Congo) that would perform in
    Harumbe (sp.) are gone.
  3. Fantasmic will go down to 2 days a week starting in January.
  4. The Flower Power concerts will only be on weekends during the Flower and
    Garden show at Epcot this March thru May.
  5. All Pirate and Princess Party’s gone.
    Cutbacks with probably increases in tickets, rooms, food, and everything else.
    Just venting.[/QUOTE]

We were actually at the last performance of 4 for a Dollar back in September. It was pretty sad. They had been there for at least 10 years, and I am thinking maybe even more. The place was packed and when they went off stage, about half of the audience left. I was sad to see them go. I always liked to watch them before Beauty and the Beast.

Sadly the rough economy hits us all in one way or another.

I got Disney’s response today:

Thank you for contacting us regarding character dining at Liberty Tree Tavern located at the Magic Kingdom® Park.

As you know, character dining at this location is being discontinued.
We regret any disappointment this may cause you. However, please know that we believe Disney Characters are an integral part of the Disney experience. As a company, we have the great fortune of presenting Characters and their stories from films, the Disney Channel, home video, and much more. Evaluating and refining our operations are also an important part of our business, which includes periodically updating our assortment of entertainment offerings, including adjustments to the presentation location and schedules of our Character greetings and other appearances in stage shows, parades and spectaculars. This also assists us in ensuring their relevance to the multi-generational mix of Guests
who visit the Walt Disney World Resort.

Our Guests’ impressions are very important to us and we truly appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts. Please know that we are continually focused on providing the best possible entertainment experiences for our Guests. We hope that our array of entertainment, shows and character offerings at the Walt Disney World Resort provide the most memorable and magical experiences for everyone and that they will delight you in the future as they have in years past.

We look forward to future opportunities to entertain you.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort

[QUOTE=joseph3947;914112]I got Disney’s response today:

Thank you for contacting us regarding character dining at Liberty Tree Tavern located at the Magic Kingdom® Park.

As you know, character dining at this location is being discontinued.
We regret any disappointment this may cause you. However, please know that we believe Disney Characters are an integral part of the Disney experience. As a company, we have the great fortune of presenting Characters and their stories from films, the Disney Channel, home video, and much more. Evaluating and refining our operations are also an important part of our business, which includes periodically updating our assortment of entertainment offerings, including adjustments to the presentation location and schedules of our Character greetings and other appearances in stage shows, parades and spectaculars. This also assists us in ensuring their relevance to the multi-generational mix of Guests
who visit the Walt Disney World Resort.

Our Guests’ impressions are very important to us and we truly appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts. Please know that we are continually focused on providing the best possible entertainment experiences for our Guests. We hope that our array of entertainment, shows and character offerings at the Walt Disney World Resort provide the most memorable and magical experiences for everyone and that they will delight you in the future as they have in years past.

We look forward to future opportunities to entertain you.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort[/QUOTE]

i got the same response yeaterday…

DATED: 12-17-08

“Every time my family and I have eaten there the place was full.
If the character dinner is stopped, then are the dinner prices going down, probably not.
If Disney thinks they will get more walk ups and fill the place, I don’t think so.
It’s the character dinner that fills the place. I realize the cost of paying people to dress
as characters is costly, but the price of the dinner could be raised to offset this.
I think people will always pay more for the dinner if the characters are included.
We have already NOT renewed our Annual Passes and are not going to WDW this spring.
We are scheduled for October 2009 and that’s an IF.
Wake up Disney, there’s an economy crisis out there.
Disney has to give people a reason to come back again and again!
This is from a family that has been to WDW every year since 1986 and twice a year
since 1999.”

joseph3947
MouseBuzz

OH MY GOD! MY LETTER WORKED!!!

We wish they would bring back both LTT Character Dining and breakfast at Tony’s. We used tro go to Tony’s for breakfast at least twice during our week stay there when they had breakfast.

Character dining IS coming back to LTT. Read on:

Many Magic Kingdom fans were saddened when the Liberty Tree Tavern stopped serving its Goofy’s Liberate Your Appetite Character Dinner back on January 4th. So much so that a significant number of them actually stopped going to this WDW eatery.

Consequently, the Liberty Tree Tavern went from being a restaurant that literally did turn away business to becoming one that wound up with almost 100 empty seats every night. Which then translated into a $250,000 drop in revenues for both the months of January and February.

In the face of those sorts of losses … WDW officials had to admit that they’d made a mistake. Which is why – just last week – Magic Kingdom managers quietly okayed the return of character dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern.

Mind you, Goofy and his friends won’t be returning immediately. These managers first had to amend that theme park’s global schedule bid. In essence put in a staffing requisition for the proper number of Zoo Crew members necessary to staff a character dining venue like Liberty Tree Tavern.
Then – given that there are Cast Members who literally performed as characters at this Magic Kingdom eatery for years – WDW officials would like to give these veteran performers first crack at their old jobs and then fill any vacant positions.

Anyway … Long story short, what with all of the staffing issues and scheduling changes involved with bringing character dining back to the Liberty Tree Tavern, it may take as long as the second weekend of April (To be specific, Easter) before Goofy’s Liberate Your Appetite Character Dinner is up and running again.

And just so you know, this news has not been officially announced yet. So if you call (407) WDW-DINE today and then tell them you’re looking to make reservations for character dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern, that call center rep is not going to know what the heck you’re talking about. But trust me, folks. These WDW Cast Members will be brought up to speed shortly. So if you’re looking to Liberate Your Appetite anytime soon, you’d best make some reservations ASAP.

I sent my email (even if it was posthumously).

Interesting to see that management had to backtrack on their decision to do away with the character meal.
That drop in revenue had to have been a big hit to the bottom line!

Characters are coming back to LTT…$250,000 drop in Revenue in just two months…WOW :blink:. I don’t think they listened to US, they listened to the empty cash registers. :laugh:

:laugh:You’re right. We usually do LTT during our trip but with the characters gone we weren’t planning to go back any time soon. Once the characters are back LTT is back on our list.

I am so pleased that the officials saw the light! This is good news. Although I get peeved when I hear the words ’ Financial crisis and Disney making cutbacks’ Cutbacks!!! If anyone has made zillions in profit over the years enough to not have to worry about cutbacks it should be Disney!!!

Hee hee:laugh::laugh: I just saw this post Kim. I think you’re right :happy:

It’s amazing how loud money can talk!!! We’ve already made it clear to WDW that we won’t be renewing our annual passes next year (well at least not right away) and, while some of our reasons are economic, others involve the decisions that have been made that have made WDW a less pleasant place to be (i.e., closing Adventurer’s Club, getting rid of FountainView bakery, contracting out many WDW jobs (particularly at the resorts, etc.)) There’s gotta be a better way to battle a hurting economy.