Schedules and ADR planning too close together

I just have to vent my frustration…

I am a MAJOR planner when it comes to our WDW trips and it is driving me crazy that they aren’t posting the park hours until 3 months ahead of time, plus I can’t make ADRs until 90 days out.

For our June trip, I find out the park hours on March 1 (if they’re posted on time) and I have to call March 3 for ADRs. We have a group of 9 going this time, there is no way I can not make ADRs. Those dates are so close together, it’s making me stress out way too much! :eek:

Gotcha. This is what we WDW commandos go through. But take a breath, it’s a vacation. I would make my best guesses and have an itinerary ready to go including park days and ADR’s. Have backups. We all know stuff goes wrong with every vacation. Enjoy (and make someone else help).

[QUOTE=b1wife;936507]I just have to vent my frustration…

I am a MAJOR planner when it comes to our WDW trips and it is driving me crazy that they aren’t posting the park hours until 3 months ahead of time, plus I can’t make ADRs until 90 days out.

For our June trip, I find out the park hours on March 1 (if they’re posted on time) and I have to call March 3 for ADRs. We have a group of 9 going this time, there is no way I can not make ADRs. Those dates are so close together, it’s making me stress out way too much! :eek:
[/QUOTE]

Like you, I have a June trip booked and I have to make my ADRs on March 2 with the calendars hopefully being up on March 1 (no guarantee they’ll get them all up on time). Here’s what I’m doing. Since I arrive May 31, my dining for that night is already decided (time and location) because I have confirmed MK hours for that day as being 9am - 9pm with EMH until midnight (thank you disneyworld.ca since the US site doesn’t show hours for May 31). For the rest of the week I’m there, I’m going on the following basis for planning my dinner ADRs. MK 9am - 7pm, Epcot 9am - 9pm, DHS 9am - 7pm and AK 9am - 5pm. These are sort of “standard” off peak park hours. I would rather plan with the idea that the parks are not open late and then be pleasantly surprised when I find out park hours have been extended.

I have a tentative schedule planned out - like, where we want to eat on AK day, what day to just relax at the resort, no parks, etc. I just like to have it a little more ironed out before now. Fill in the blanks, know when I have time to hit the spa since we’re staying at SSR, you know, the important things.

I just found out the 90 day thing today - I was bummed, I had my spreadsheet all ready to go. What I usually do is write a list of the places I want to eat. I ask for those places and times (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and then try and plan my park visits around that. I am a major planner too! You can rest in the fact that everyone is under that 90 days in advance rule. You won’t be under any less advantage than anyone else. That’s what I am saying to myself…LOL

I’m going up on June 13 and can’t do any dining reservations until March 15.
No big thing, even though the 14th is my birthday.
Try not to sweat it too much. In fact, if you can find the schedules from last June, you should be able to plan your parks, shows, and EMH.

Does anyone know why WDW changed the old 180 day window to just 90?

We all should remember, too, that with this economy WDW park hours AND event schedules could see some bizarre changes through the year. If attendance continues to tank, we’re going to see scaling back.

You are so like me (and a few others on MB). Sometimes we even know what entrees we’re going to order:blush: when we get there! We’re planning for Sept. and who knows right now about hours, MNSSHP days, Wishes times, etc. Why can’t they tell me now???:mad:

yep - i am with ya! i LOVE planning so much and i am hating that time of not knowing my park hours!! but, that part is the same as the 180 day window - didnt know the hours then either. i have my plans, based on last years hours, and back up plans in case i cant get an adr on the day i want. sometimes i even have back up/back up plans. :blush:

Well unless you eat dinner very late, planning 5-6 pm meals is no biggie. It is a safe bet the parks will be open then. Plan your days ahead in pencil. Check on MAr 1 if there are any problems and call on the 3rd. Chances are 90% of your stuff won’t change. Epcot at least is steady.

I like the 90 day window, great for trips not planned 1/2 a year away.

I’m actually glad that it’s 90 days in advance. It would have been quite the hassle to be booking my June dining on the day I was flying to Orlando for my most recent December trip since my arrival day coincided with my 180 day window opening. Never mind that, our restaurant choices have changed quite a bit since then especially since we opted to upgrade our resort to POFQ and drop the dining plan.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s because they’ve been getting many complaints from people who don’t book a year in advance and actually don’t pull the trigger until much closer to their vacation dates that they couldn’t get into the places they want at the times they want, if even at all.
And it really wasn’t that long ago that they expanded out from 90 days to 180 days to begin with.

I too like to plan in advance-I can see exactly where you are coming from. We are going in July and I just tried to use the few months they had already posted park hours for to give me an idea to plan ADR’s out a bit. I know things could change but at least I have thought it out a bit and can make minor changes. In a perfect world we planners would get to book at 180 days but it sounds like this doesn’t work for the non planners. Ces’t la vie! Good Luck.

I don’t think I’m going to be a big fan of the 90 day window either. I, like so many others, like to plan in advance since there are so many places I like to go to or try. The 180 window was perfect for us (DVC members) because we always plan at least seven months out. We are anticipating going in October this year (Food and Wine Festival is great), and I’m already planning where I want to eat!

We purchased DVC about a year ago, and it has really helped us (ok, me), being the planners we are. We always talk about the next trip as soon as one has ended. It kills me to not have everything done already, but at least I’m only about a week out now. Phew!