School Excuse Sample Letter

I found this and many other useful downloads on mouse for less

Disney Downloads • TheMouseForLess

School Excuse Sample Letter

DATE:

TO: [school official]

RE: [students name and vacation dates]

Please be advised that [student] will be out of school during the week of [date]. We ask that his absences be excused.

The reason for [student]'s absence is that our family will be out of the state during this week. While we are gone, we will be visiting Walt Disney World. We believe that [student] will be learning many things during this trip and that his education will continue in his absence from school.

Some things [student] will learn about:

• Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.) [student] will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

• American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

• Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

• Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where he will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

• Economics by managing his own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend his money.

[student] will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this will be a wonderful and educational experience for [student] and hope you agree not to charge him with unexcused absences as a result. If it is possible for [student] to take any assignments with him to be turned in when we return or to turn in before we leave any work that will be due while he is gone, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this. If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact me.

[Parent’s Signture]

As a former teacher of 20+ years, I’d add a few comments:

Regarding Excused or Unexcused, understand that classifications may be influenced by state law. For instance, if the parent’s employer’s policies essentially force them to take a family vacation during the school year, that may be excused. Simply notifying the school ahead of time may not be sufficient. (Varies by state)

May I also suggest that the reaction to your letter may be better if you were to add early in the letter the request for any work that could possibly done before leaving, or during the trip, that would help to mitigate the impact of classes missed during the trip rather than waiting till the end.

I had a student who worked ahead by coming to see me at study hall in the weeks proceeding their trip. When he returned to class, it seemed like he hadn’t missed a beat. Gave me major respect for both the student and his parents.

Just my 2 cents.

I have always just told the teachers we would be away at WDW and to let me know if there is anything they would like my child to report back on…

DD has had to do a photo report of the animals she saw at AK- she took the pictures and went online to identify the ones she couldn’t while in the park.

DD also had to report on Mexico and Japan.

She LOVED doing the reports!

I quit taking my DD daughter out of school after 5th grade. The rule here in our county is that a teacher does not have to excuse you for anything but a medical reason…it’s up to the teacher. You also can be considered truant after 5 unexcused absence days. There is even a limit on excused days…forget what that is…anyway, I saw the work load DD was getting, how much she missed and the work each absence made for her teacher…I quit asking…At that point we started going over school vacations…

I also wanted her to see that school was her number one priority at this point in her life…I personally never would have written or submitted a letter like this anyway…in the early grades when I did take her out for a couple of days, I always went in to talk with the teacher personally and get his/her opinion.

Just my opinion…:happy:

I have used this letter twice before the teacher love it at our school.

Great idea. As a former teacher that would have been a welcome one for me. I would love to have made up assignments for them as they were there. Assignent one would have been: Take me with you. :laugh:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1117198]I quit taking my DD daughter out of school after 5th grade. The rule here in our county is that a teacher does not have to excuse you for anything but a medical reason…it’s up to the teacher. You also can be considered truant after 5 unexcused absence days. There is even a limit on excused days…forget what that is…anyway, I saw the work load DD was getting, how much she missed and the work each absence made for her teacher…I quit asking…At that point we started going over school vacations…

I also wanted her to see that school was her number one priority at this point in her life…I personally never would have written or submitted a letter like this anyway…in the early grades when I did take her out for a couple of days, I always went in to talk with the teacher personally and get his/her opinion.

Just my opinion…:happy:[/QUOTE]

We stopped doing it for the same reasons…the Teacher’s not wanting to give us the work in advance (and I was a Very Active volunteer so I know it wasn’t personal), the work load trying to catch up on return and dealing with Truancy after only missing 5 days (10 the whole year is failure). I did turn in one of these letters when the girls were in 5th grade and the Principal just laughed at it as she walked away. They take missing school around here serious, and now that they’re on block scheduling missing 1 day is actually similar to missing 2 of instruction.

Top 5 reasons I love being a home school dad:

1. Any day dad has off from work becomes a school holiday.
  2. Vacations never have to be scheduled around the school calendar.
  3. Every vacation can be tailored to be an extension of current curriculum (especially with National Parks!)
  4. The teacher is actually thrilled when I take the kids out of class for the day.
  5. The kids have a really HOT teacher, and I get to flirt with her during parent-teacher conferences!

[QUOTE=Cavey;1117233]

1. Vacations never have to be scheduled around the school calendar.
  2. Every vacation can be tailored to be an extension of current curriculum (especially with National Parks!)
    QUOTE]

When I left teaching we became a homeschool family. These two items were VERY big deals for us too.

[QUOTE=Big Al;1117240]
When I left teaching we became a homeschool family. These two items were VERY big deals for us too.[/QUOTE]

I’m actually more happy with the idea of flirting with the kids’ HOT teacher. :tongue:

Now that was FUNNY!! :laugh:

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, as a teacher I wouldn’t want to get a letter like that. Save your time and mine and just tell me the dates you’re going to be gone a few days before you leave so I can get any assignments together and go have fun. I have no problem with a family vacation that’s just about fun and family. In fact, I would tell my student to go have fun and not worry about those things listed in the letter.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1117233]Top 5 reasons I love being a home school dad:

1. The kids have a really HOT teacher, and I get to flirt with her during parent-teacher conferences![/QUOTE]

Uh-oh… Does Mrs. Cavey know? :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, on one hand, it’s pretty creative and does point out what the student will learn while gone…

But on the other hand, if I were a teacher, I’m not sure if I would want to read all the way through that, and might think, “Why do you think I care? Please stop wasting my time.”

I’m really confused, I thought you were the teacher…Nope just can’t go there.

But YOU are one of the Disney enlightened! (And probably the coolest teacher at your school! :heart:)

When DS was in kindergarten, we were planning a trip to WDW (back then I could only take vacation time in December-February.). The teacher & then the principal were all uptight that we would take him out of class for a week. Finally DW said firmly, “He’s our son. WE are responsible for his growth and development, and WE make the decisions about these things. We are TELLING you we are taking him to WDW. We are NOT asking your permission.”

Later, we realized the school lost funding for every student day missed. So it wasn’t my son’s education they were worried about.

Boy, I agree. What teacher would want to read through all that - as if they have time for it! I find it interesting how many people on this Board homeschool. Homeschooling isn’t anywhere near as popular here as it is in the USA - I don’t know a single person whose ever done it. Interesting.

Well, you’re right–I am the coolest teacher in the building. I do love to hear that one of my students is going to WDW but honestly I don’t care where they’re going. I understand that not all families can vacation during school breaks and I’m not about to tell them what they can and cannot do.

I’ve taken DS out of school twice to go to WDW and both times the teachers were really cool about it. Both teachers had him do a presentation about his trip…whatever he wanted to tell about. Our district has a policy that no homework may be given ahead of time and it can’t be made up afterwards…it’s just missed. Our truancy is more lenient though. The way I see it is that DS is a straight A student, has perfect attendance the past 2 years and both DH and I are active volunteers…if we take him out for a week to go to WDW, it’ll be OK, he won’t miss enough to be a problem.

I completely agree. We were taken out of school for vacations and never had any problems. We did try to plan around our sports schedules, but school wasn’t really an issue. There are no rules here about how many days you can miss or excused/unexcused absences. I’m surprised there are so many schools out there that have rules about that kind of thing…a family vacation should always be excused and never questioned in my opinion. I would never think to write a letter like this. To me, it makes it seem like you’re trying to appease the school by writing a letter and, frankly, it’s none of the school’s business. Let them know your child will be gone and get the assignments they’re missing and you’re good to go.