School me on Disneyland

We have never been to Disneyland and I am hoping my fellow MBer’s can impart some knowledge.

How are the crowds?
Is it similar to WDW peak & low times?
How are the lines?
Do they have a fastpass system?
How long do you need to cover both Disneyland and California Adventure?

Any information is appreciated.

DH and I were there last October. They were having Gay Days so it was pretty crowded and the lines were very long for everything. They do have fast passes, we were there for 4 days, if you are going after carsland opens I would say stay for a longer period of time.

[QUOTE=simplytall;1098683]We have never been to Disneyland and I am hoping my fellow MBer’s can impart some knowledge.

How are the crowds?
Is it similar to WDW peak & low times?
How are the lines?
Do they have a fastpass system?
How long do you need to cover both Disneyland and California Adventure?

Any information is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Crowds vary; they’re similar to WDW, but I think that the spring break crowds cover a shorter period. And in CA, kids are still in school in early June, so that helps.

The lines are similar, and yes, they have fastpass. Works the same.

Three days is doable for DL & DCA… but four is better.

Carsland opens in DCA… to be announced. Could be June, could be later. The crowds will be 100% INSANE there. (Honestly, for the trip this summer we’re debating simply waiting on Carsland until next year. We’re still deciding. It’s also likely that if you’re staying on property, they’ll open Carsland to you earlier in the day than for regular guests. With only 3 hotels, that’s a whole different scenario from WDW.)

Also- staying on property they do have the equivalent of EMH some days. That’s great for touring Fantasyland, which always has longish lines and no FPs.

I just love DL. :heart: When are you thinking about going?

Some of us will try. :wub:

[QUOTE=simplytall;1098683]
How are the crowds? [/QUOTE]

As Andrea stated, crowds can be bad, especially in the Summer or Spring Break. You might run into bad luck and find yourself at a cheerleader competition as well. :pinch:

[QUOTE=simplytall;1098683]
How are the lines?
Do they have a fastpass system? [/QUOTE]

I differ with Andrea on this. The NEW rides are better situated with lines. Depending on your children’s age group, some lines are horrendous. e.g., Peter Pan. :eek:
And, as Andrea stated, no fast passes exist for the rides in Fantasyland.

Two days is a minimum, but as Andrea stated, three is standard, and four is better. I’ve found a five days to a week is perfect for the most relaxed, especially when crowds are expected to be heavy. :pirate:

Wow. 2011 went screaming by and I had actually forgotten about Carsland opening in DCA. This will make the southern park a lot more crowded. I still remember when the renovated Pirates of the Caribbean opened and the line went through Frontierland into Main Street. :huh:

Oy, Peter Pan is always half an hour at minimum. MINIMUM! Alice in Wonderland always has a line that seems too long. Matterhorn is another ridiculous line. These are the things to try to do on early entry days!

The submarines can be long, even Jungle Cruise can be long on a very busy day. Pirates can be long or short- it’s really hit or miss- and so is Buzz Lightyear.

Pooh has no line whatsoever. There’s a reason for that.

So I guess when I say lines are similar I have no idea what I’m talking about. :laugh:

Toy Story is at DCA and doesn’t have a FP. The line runs about 45 minutes to an hour.

Splash Mountain line can be up to two hours when it’s busy, and Space Mountain can get up there, too. Big Thunder waxes and wanes. Star Tours may or may not be long, but it’ll probably be long.

But here’s the thing- you can work those FPs so hard for those rides that you never have to wait. (Which is why I don’t think the lines are all that bad.)

And just ask Lovemysons… if you show the slightest bit of interest, I’ll write you up a DL touring plan because I just can’t help myself. :laugh: :blush:

Does ME run from LAX? Do they offer the Guest Assistant Card?

No, Disneyland does not have ME.

Yes, you can get a GAC. :mickey:

So even if we flew into Anaheim, how would we get to the resort? My non-disney husband actually told me to book a trip (or cruise out of NY) but he does not want to rent a car. We would even fly to NY if I chose the cruise. I can imagine how expensive a cab would be.

There’s something called “Super Shuttle” that will take you to Disneyland for a very reasonable price.

SuperShuttle Disneyland Airport Shuttle

[I]SuperShuttle provides *direct airport shuttle service to/from the 3 official Disneyland Hotels:
*From the Airport: SuperShuttle drops off first
*To the Airport: SuperShuttle picks up last
• Disneyland Hotel Airport Shuttle
• Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Airport Shuttle
• Paradise Pier Hotel Airport Shuttle

LAX - Disneyland Airport Shuttle To/From LAX - $16 per person
SNA - Disneyland Airport Shuttle To/From SNA – $10 per person [/I]

[QUOTE=Andrea;1098771]There’s something called “Super Shuttle” that will take you to Disneyland for a very reasonable price.

SuperShuttle Disneyland Airport Shuttle

[I]SuperShuttle provides *direct airport shuttle service to/from the 3 official Disneyland Hotels:
*From the Airport: SuperShuttle drops off first
*To the Airport: SuperShuttle picks up last
• Disneyland Hotel Airport Shuttle
• Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Airport Shuttle
• Paradise Pier Hotel Airport Shuttle

LAX - Disneyland Airport Shuttle To/From LAX - $16 per person
SNA - Disneyland Airport Shuttle To/From SNA – $10 per person [/I][/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks!

Thanks for the great information. I am going to have to work in a trip to California.

[/QUOTE]
And just ask Lovemysons… if you show the slightest bit of interest, I’ll write you up a DL touring plan because I just can’t help myself. :laugh: :blush:[/QUOTE]

I’m going the last week of March for 3 days for the first time…touring plans welcome:blush:

Check out the Anaheim Convention Center schedule posted below. It will give you an idea of dates to avoid such as cheer-leading competitions.

Welcome to the Anaheim Convention Center

[QUOTE=ktcheck;1098801]
And just ask Lovemysons… if you show the slightest bit of interest, I’ll write you up a DL touring plan because I just can’t help myself. :laugh: :blush:

I’m going the last week of March for 3 days for the first time…touring plans welcome:blush:[/QUOTE]

Tell me how old everyone is, if you’re staying on property, what your priorities are and what you don’t really care about, and I will do it!

We are staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel for 5 nights…March 26-30. We need one day for Universal. The cast is me (40), my mom (70), and my two boys 8 and 10. I believe we will have the hopper passes, but we want to limit the walking so will probably stay in one park a day, then on the 3rd day hop. We are in Southern California for 11 nights, so might not go 3 days in a row.
My mom and oldest son are the thrill riders. I want to make sure we do EVERYTHING that is different from Disney World since this will probably be our only trip.
We usually go to WDW during low crowd seasons when its not hot…I don’t like the heat and not a big fan of long lines.:blush: Any tips on the must do stuff, and what to get FP for early would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey everyone!
I just found out TODAY we are going in March too! We will be there the first week though.
Just keep chatting about everything and I will follow this thread… LOL!
Thanks in advance!
:slight_smile:

Oh…and ktcheck my suggestions are to…eat at the Blue Bayou, ride Indiana Jones and make sure to see Fantasmic! as it is totally different! :slight_smile:

Great suggestions! I’ve been so busy planning the “other” part of my vacation that I haven’t had a lot of time to plan the Disney part!

I can’t believe that I’ll believe we’ll be in California in 10 days!! Haven’t even thought about bringing our suitcases up from the basement! I always have a “plan” when going to Disney World, so this is so strange to me…no ADR’s, no planning on which park to go to each day. Just winging it…I hope everything isn’t closed!

We just got back on Thursday from a week at DL:) It was so fun!
If you have questions, feel free to ask away!
There are some closures… I knew about all except for the monorail which bummed me out… otherwise we had a fantastic time!