Scooters and weather and foreigners...Oh My!

All right, let’s get this thing started. I have been home for a week now and I am still waiting for DH to get the pics onto my computer, but I’ll get started.

Cast of characters included the usual timkel clan

Timkelmom (Kim) - DH
Timkeldad - DH
Timkelkid #1 - DS
Timkelkid #2 - DD

and we added two characters this trip Timkelgrandma (my mom) and Timkelgrandad (my stepfather).

We had been staying near-by in Clermont, FL for several days before our actual arrival date. We had the opportunity to visit Aquatica, the new water park by Sea World, on Friday 9/12.

We got a call from my parents that they had landed (around 10:00 a.m.) and were on ME. They had found the ME desk no problem and were happy not to have to worry about luggage.

So we checked out of our camp ground and arrived at Pop Century around 11:30 a.m. It took us a little while to secure parking for our large vehicles, we were trying to be as respectful as we could of other cars and not take up too many spaces. DH forgot to take a pic of it, but I think we took up 10 spaces in the back of the lot.

So we met my parents, checked in (Yay our rooms were ready), and brought our stuff to the room. My parents looked around PC a little while we did this as they had no bags to worry about. Mom had already picked up her scooter, so she was a happy camper.

Our room was as expected. Clean, although a little small, and tidy. We had two towel puppies waiting for us in our window which made DD very happy. We had adjoining rooms with my parents on the 3rd floor of the 50’s building. My parents had requested a king-sized bed and got it. This was so that there was more room to park the scooter inside the room.

As the kids get older and bigger, I am wondering how long we can continue to stay at the values. Two full bed are getting a little cramped with growing, older children. This time we actually brought a twin-sized air mattress and DS slept on it on the floor. It worked out pretty well and DH slept much better because of it.

I actually slept pretty well this trip as my mattress was firmer which is what I prefer. In past trips I have had trouble sleeping at Pop and the other values.

So after about an hour or so we headed to our first bus of the trip with the scooter/ECV. We were off to MK to find some lunch and take advantage of our first meal for free. My parents were really hungry as they had gotten up very early for their flight and only had a light breakfast.

Yay! Another TR!! :heart:

sounds like you all got off to a great start!!

Yup, one more to read. I have to go and read all the others too.

We did, I was really happy to be there and share this trip with my Mom. I was super excited to show her everything. I did end up a little disappointed by the end of the trip, but overall, it was another good one.

I just got DH to take the pics off the external hard drive and put them on my laptop where I can work with them. So let me get to resizing and I will get on with the rest.

I just realized that I did not take as many pics as I would have liked. For instance, I do not have pics of the room or the cute little towel puppies.

I didn’t take very many food pics either. It’s hard when you go often. I feel like I take the same pics every time. I did get pics of all the new stuff we did and saw though.

OK, let me discuss my title. I’ll begin with the scooters. Let me just say that anyone who thinks they are a motorized fast pass would be wrong. They were a necessary evil. My parents got them (more on how we got the 2nd one later) to assist them in getting around. They were necessary for them. I believe they had a better time and were not in too much pain because of them.

On the other hand, they drove me crazy. I felt awful making people wait for what seemed like and enormous amount of time to load and unload them from the buses. Once loaded and all of us were seated, we took up 12 seats on the bus, 6 for the scooters and 6 for us. If you had to stand on one of our buses or wait because of us, I am SO sorry.

My mother could not get the hang of hers and kept running into things, had trouble parking them on the bus, and ran into some guy on the elevator. He swore he was OK and she started getting very upset so I think he just let it go. I was embarrassed, to say the least, and felt really bad for the guy. I hope he truly was OK. She would drive very slowly in crowds and getting out of the parks at the end of the evening proved to be very difficult.

My Stepfather would zip up ahead of us, then not know which way to go so he would have to wait for us impatiently. This became very frustrating over the course of the trip and he was a pretty reckless driver, cutting people off, going too fast, and simply not staying with the group.

We did get to go into a few shorter lines and special entrances, but most attraction have you wait in the regular line and then split off at some point. For shows the seating is usually not very good, like in the very back and off the the side some how.

I am glad they had them so that they were comfortable, but I didn’t see it as a perk of any kind.

I think the best thing that came from it was that we always got reserved seating/standing for parades. That did come in handy for picture taking and not having to deal with someone plopping down in front of you at the last minute. Although, we did have to deal with that once which leads us to my next title subject…Foreigners.

OK, I’ll talk about the tourists later, let me get on to more positive things, like our first day.

We got to MK pretty quickly and went straight to Cosmic Rays for lunch. As I had made all the evening ADR’s I let parent choose our lunches, most of which were pretty good and definitely filling.

This was our first glimpse of how crowded it would be this week. This was not like Septembers past (I would find out later that this was the most crowded week). There were not tables and we had to wait for a family to finish before we could sit. We did not wait too long though and were soon enjoying burgers, fries, chicken sandwiches, and yummy desserts. We all felt much better after some lunch.

We went first to Fantasyland where we say Philharmagic, IaSW, and PP with no wait. Peter Pan had a 40 minute wait, but this was one ride that had a separate entrance for the scooters, so we got right on.

We don’t usually ride these attractions, my DM wanted to do these, so we relaxed a bit and enjoyed.

Here are a few IaSW pics including goats for our favorite goat-loving MBer (Erin, here ya go).

This would not be the day to do and see all in MK, but we did do a few of the must-see’s. We had dinner ADR’s at Chef Mickey’s, so that left us with only a few hours.

Foreign tour groups are annoying… there were at least five giant Spanish-speaking tour groups there when we were at wdw in July. It wouldn’t be that bad if they didn’t travel in massive packs and stop in the middle of the street, blocking the way.

Anywho… about the scooters… I’ll admit, I get annoyed when I see scooters loading the buses because of the amount of seats they take up, just because I want on that bus. But I guess I never really imagined how the people with the scooters feel about taking up the seats. Now that I think about it, I’d probably feel rather guilty, too. Don’t worry too much about it, though. Honestly, I prefer to stand anyway. As long as I get on the bus, I’m good. :laugh:

Can’t wait to hear more! And pics… have to include more pictures! :laugh:

After FL we went to Adventureland to see about some pirates with, if you can imagine, 0 min. wait. I meant to take a pic because I have never seen a 0 min. wait before, but we walked right on and enjoyed our trip to Tortuga that much more because there was no wait.

The weather was beginning to get to us, hence the weather part of my title. It was VERY hot and VERY humid this whole trip. We were all pretty sweaty and in need of some refreshment. What is the best way to refresh yourself while in MK, specifically in Adventureland? Anyone? You guessed it, time for Dole whips. YUMMY as always and so refreshing. My DM and DSF had never had one before, they were hooked.

Now feeling a little cooler, we decided to check out Frontier Land. We went to get FP’s for BTMR and caught the end of Woody’s Cowboy camp. It was approaching time to head over to Contemporary, so we made our way to the front of the park and to the monorail. Our FP’s would have to wait until later.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;887206]Foreign tour groups are annoying… there were at least five giant Spanish-speaking tour groups there when we were at wdw in July. It wouldn’t be that bad if they didn’t travel in massive packs and stop in the middle of the street, blocking the way.

Anywho… about the scooters… I’ll admit, I get annoyed when I see scooters loading the buses because of the amount of seats they take up, just because I want on that bus. But I guess I never really imagined how the people with the scooters feel about taking up the seats. Now that I think about it, I’d probably feel rather guilty, too. Don’t worry too much about it, though. Honestly, I prefer to stand anyway. As long as I get on the bus, I’m good. :laugh:

Can’t wait to hear more! And pics… have to include more pictures! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Yes, large foreign groups and especially rude foreigners this trip. Always stopped right in the middle of the walkway.

Thanks for your understanding about the scooter/bus situation. I know I will try to be more patient and understanding in the future.

Plenty more pics coming, I promise, I know it has begun kinda wordy.

Great TR so far- but I guess I am a ‘foreigner’ and yet in the USA never think of myself as one, I guess its because we speak the same language- but can I just add we had alot of hassle with what we call ‘foreigners’ too!!

[QUOTE=timkelmom;887198]OK, I’ll talk about the tourists later, let me get on to more positive things, like our first day.

We got to MK pretty quickly and went straight to Cosmic Rays for lunch. As I had made all the evening ADR’s I let parent choose our lunches, most of which were pretty good and definitely filling.

This was our first glimpse of how crowded it would be this week. This was not like Septembers past (I would find out later that this was the most crowded week). There were not tables and we had to wait for a family to finish before we could sit. We did not wait too long though and were soon enjoying burgers, fries, chicken sandwiches, and yummy desserts. We all felt much better after some lunch.

We went first to Fantasyland where we say Philharmagic, IaSW, and PP with no wait. Peter Pan had a 40 minute wait, but this was one ride that had a separate entrance for the scooters, so we got right on.

We don’t usually ride these attractions, my DM wanted to do these, so we relaxed a bit and enjoyed.

Here are a few IaSW pics including goats for our favorite goat-loving MBer (Erin, here ya go).

[/QUOTE]

I bet most of us think of Erin when we see those goats in IASW. I know I do. Nice pictures so far. Keep them coming please.

Great TR. I cant wait to read more. With all the TR today it will keep me busy.
My mom used a scooter while we were in WDW and it drove me nuts. Not because she needed it but becuase when the kids didnt want to walk she would let them ride with her so I wa totally embarrased and kept walking. Imagine a crazy lady on a scooter i boy on her lap and my DD7 on the back hanging onto her neck :laugh: while she is honking the horn for people to move… NEVER AGAIN!!!

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;887286]Great TR. I cant wait to read more. With all the TR today it will keep me busy.
My mom used a scooter while we were in WDW and it drove me nuts. Not because she needed it but becuase when the kids didnt want to walk she would let them ride with her so I wa totally embarrased and kept walking. Imagine a crazy lady on a scooter i boy on her lap and my DD7 on the back hanging onto her neck :laugh: while she is honking the horn for people to move… NEVER AGAIN!!![/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty amusing actually. :laugh:

Great report - keep it coming! :happy:

Great TR!!

I completely understand on the large groups of hispanic people. We were at Planet Hollywood on one of our last vacations, attempting to wait for our table we were asked to move to the side for some guests being brought through. My husband thinking we were being moved from someone important…yeah right we were shoved into the stairwell and enc to move out of the way for this huge party of hispanic girls. Not one of them would say excuse me or sorry or nothing. I was mad! It unfortunately was the same group we kept running into at all the parks. We sat across from them at MK one day during the afternoon parade and they were told multiple times to sit back or move back or don’t touch the charaters like that…one cm attempt to stay by them to deal with them and they were soooo rude to her. I guess I just wish they would be as respectfull to others as they want us to be to them.

There are foreigners and then there are FOREIGNERS. and we all know which is what!

I met some absolutely charming people from England on our trip and a very nice family from Scotland, and sat near “several Spanish speaking families” who thought they “owned” the day! I really tried to be courteous to everyone, as we all were on vacation there, but it is so hard when you get shoved aside (2 of us) for their group of 20+

As for scooters, I have absolutely no problem for those who truly needed them, saw several people w/broken legs, elderly - personally I think they are a wonderful tool for them to get to see it all. But just because someone wants to tote “bags” around, take turns on it, and use it for a tool to get a free fast pass, it’s not right. They are going to ruin it for the people who truly need it. As for the buses, if the scooters continue to become more popular DW will have to consider another alternative for them. At one time, there were 7 scooters waiting for buses, The line was way back - after wishes at closing of MK for POP bus. I don’t know if it would be possible for those who are able to do some walking to walk onto the bus and another bus deliver the scooters to the resorts later.

[QUOTE=sue299;887479]There are foreigners and then there are FOREIGNERS. and we all know which is what!

I met some absolutely charming people from England on our trip and a very nice family from Scotland, and sat near “several Spanish speaking families” who thought they “owned” the day! I really tried to be courteous to everyone, as we all were on vacation there, but it is so hard when you get shoved aside (2 of us) for their group of 20+

As for scooters, I have absolutely no problem for those who truly needed them, saw several people w/broken legs, elderly - personally I think they are a wonderful tool for them to get to see it all. But just because someone wants to tote “bags” around, take turns on it, and use it for a tool to get a free fast pass, it’s not right. They are going to ruin it for the people who truly need it. As for the buses, if the scooters continue to become more popular DW will have to consider another alternative for them. At one time, there were 7 scooters waiting for buses, The line was way back - after wishes at closing of MK for POP bus. I don’t know if it would be possible for those who are able to do some walking to walk onto the bus and another bus deliver the scooters to the resorts later.[/QUOTE]

Sue you have hit the nail on the head. I guess I should say non-english-speaking foreigners. Most people are very delightful. I just love chatting with all the CM’s and guests from other countries in World showcase. I got really frustrated with amazingly rude and clueless hispanics. I tried really hard to be patient and understanding, but it just get too much.

I agree about the scooters. I wish they could come up with some other solution. I hated making everyone wait, hated taking up so many seats, and hated the looks and comments from others on the bus.

I guess I meant non-english-speaking tourists. I hope I didn’t offend anyone.