Scooters in WDW

I was not sure where to post this so if you have to move it I understand…

Anyway…

If you read my TR then you are aware of my DM’s back and knee troubles. She just does not have the stamina she once had. My DB and I are trying to convince her to rent a scooter for the trip but she keeps saying that she does not need one the entire time, just when she gets tired. I keep telling her that by the time she gets tired/achy it will be too late and all of the scooters at the parks will be already rented. DH and DB both said that they would drive the scooter until she is ready to use it. She said that it was silly to waste the money on a scooter for the entire trip if she will not use it that long. She also said that if she gets a scooter she will not use it to get to the front of the line etc.

Anyway…

My questions:

1. How quickly do the scooters rent out in the parks?

2. Does anyone know a good rental company?

3. is it wrong to have a healthy person drive the scooter till my mom needs it? (again we would not be using it for anything but transportation, no benefits)

4. Anyting else I should know about renting a scooter?

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

Hi Lisa…we have the same issue with my Dad. There is no way he can make it through an entire day at any park - but he is a bit stubburn (and TOO CHEAP) to get a scooter for the entire trip. He has knee and hip problems. He is also very slow moving, and it can be frustrating when we are trying to move from one area to another.

We have had issues with no availability at the parks in the evening (both at MK and Epcot).

If it were up to me, my Dad would have a scooter the entire trip, and we would rent right at Disney. I know we might run into issues if we start off at MK in the morning, and then switch to another park in the afternoon/evening - but atleast he would have it for the beginning part of the day, and maybe have enough energy to get through an evening without the scooter.

I do not want to deal with renting a scooter from an outside company, because I do not want to slow up the buses or any other Disney transportation. It makes me very nervous to put other people out - and I don’t want to deal with it.

Since we are renting a car, we might look into an outside rental company for a unit that will easily fit into the back of an SUV. I’m interested to see if anyone posts any info on outside rental agencies, and if the logistics of this alternate plan are even possible.

I’m going to have to have a heart to heart with my dad and let him know that the trip will be much more enjoyable for everyone if he would just have a scooter for the entire trip. That way we won’t have to worry about him suffering in pain, and it will be more fun for everyone if he is comfy.

I hope your family can come to an agreement before your trip!! Best of luck and I can’t wait to hear how you are all going to deal with the situation. Any tips you have are greatly appreciated!

If you know the Davids, Chastmaster and Quackercub, you know they both use scooters.
Try PMing them and ask where they get theirs. I couldn’t guess when or if the parks run out of scooters, but if you really need the scooter to get around everywhere all the time, and not just to keep semi invalids from collapsing half way through your day in the MK, you need to consider renting from one of the outside companies because the park scooters are only for use in the parks themselves.
Back to availability, I think that’s going to depend on traffic. In theory, they could all go in the first hour after rope drop, or they could only have a steady trickle of guests needing them during the day and also guests using them are coming and going, rotating scooters back for use by someone else frequently.

Is there anything wrong? I think that’s an appearance and courtesy thing. It looks really bad when a fully healthy person jumps up off a scooter and bounces away. I think I’d avoid that land mine and just have the person it was rented for use it. Yes there are exceptions, like if more than one person in the group isn’t 100% but at any time only one person really needs the scooter, you could trade off, but it would appear better if there was a cane or some sort of foot gear in sight. (I hope you understand what I said)

Oh, if you rent a scooter at one park, if you hop, your scooter rental is valid in all parks the day you rent it.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1035974]If you know the Davids, Chastmaster and Quackercub, you know they both use scooters.

Yes, I do know them. Good idea.

Back to availability, I think that’s going to depend on traffic. In theory, they could all go in the first hour after rope drop, or they could only have a steady trickle of guests needing them during the day and also guests using them are coming and going, rotating scooters back for use by someone else frequently.

Going at the end of September. Whatcha’ think?

Is there anything wrong? I think that’s an appearance and courtesy thing. It looks really bad when a fully healthy person jumps up off a scooter and bounces away. I think I’d avoid that land mine and just have the person it was rented for use it. Yes there are exceptions, like if more than one person in the group isn’t 100% but at any time only one person really needs the scooter, you could trade off, but it would appear better if there was a cane or some sort of foot gear in sight. (I hope you understand what I said)

I totally agree and that is why I asked the question in the first place. I do understand what you were trying to say. DH and DB say its no big deal what people think we look like since we would not be using it to get any perks (front of the line etc) I am still uncomfortable with it though.

Oh, if you rent a scooter at one park, if you hop, your scooter rental is valid in all parks the day you rent it.

That is cool, I did not know that. So if we rent a scooter at MK and go to EPCOT at night she can take her receipt there and get another one?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your imput

That is another point my mom makes. She does not want to have to lug it on the busses etc. BUT she can drive it onto the monorail…right?

Lisa

My FIL fits in to the same categories here, he doesn’t need it all the time; he doesn’t want to pay for one; doesn’t like trying to park it on the buses.

But once we got there - he used it and was glad to have it.

We have been fortunate enough not to have my parents or DH’s need a scooter while at WDW to this point. However, if I were in the spot you’re in, in would go ahead and rent the scooter at the beginning of the day, and park it in a designated scooter parking spot. When you get to the oint in the day that you need the scooter, you can go back for it. Just because you’ve paid for it doesn’t mean you have to use it every second of your day.:happy:

Where is a designated scooter parking spot?

Lisa

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1036008]Where is a designated scooter parking spot?

Lisa[/QUOTE]

I think a stroller park area would be your best best. There’s a huge area across from Buzz that may be partly covered by the WED Way, I would check that one out and ask a CM if it would be a problem. It can’t be taken w/o a key can it?

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1035981]That is another point my mom makes. She does not want to have to lug it on the busses etc. BUT she can drive it onto the monorail…right?

Lisa[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can drive it onto the monorail, but they need to pull the ramp over for you. They usually see you coming, and it doesn’t take much time…and it doesn’t seem to bother people like on the buses. I remember reading that you are staying at the Poly…so that will make it pretty easy for her.

I was doing a little checking…and Allears.net mentions the following rental company. The prices look very appealing to me!
found this place that rents scooters in Disney (delivery is free!).

Scooter Rentals for Orlando / Disney World - CARE Medical Equipment

Cost: $200/wk $25 per additional day – regular model (the also have a deluxe model for $270/wk)

Allears.net Faq on scooters (that I found helpful):
Wheelchair/Scooter/ECV FAQ

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1036031]Yes, you can drive it onto the monorail, but they need to pull the ramp over for you. They usually see you coming, and it doesn’t take much time…and it doesn’t seem to bother people like on the buses. I remember reading that you are staying at the Poly…so that will make it pretty easy for her.

I was doing a little checking…and Allears.net mentions the following rental company. The prices look very appealing to me!
found this place that rents scooters in Disney (delivery is free!).

Scooter Rentals for Orlando / Disney World - CARE Medical Equipment

Cost: $200/wk $25 per additional day – regular model (the also have a deluxe model for $270/wk)

Allears.net Faq on scooters (that I found helpful):
Wheelchair/Scooter/ECV FAQ[/QUOTE]

Duh! I can’t believe i didn’t check allears! Thanks so much for the link, it is helpful.

Lisa

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1036008]Where is a designated scooter parking spot?
:laugh:I have no idea. That was just my thinking on what I would do if in that situation.
Lisa[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1036010]I think a stroller park area would be your best best. There’s a huge area across from Buzz that may be partly covered by the WED Way, I would check that one out and ask a CM if it would be a problem. It can’t be taken w/o a key can it?[/QUOTE]I think DT got it. :laugh::happy:

:goofybounce:“I can’t believe I didn’t think to check All Ears”.:goofybounce:

People don’t mind scooters and wheelchairs on the monorails nearly as much because loading and unloading happens in the middle of the train and doesn’t really slow things down or inconvenience most other guests because it take so much less time to lay down the ramp than the whole process of deploying a bus elevator.

Yes, keep that receipt for your daily rental because you have a scooter at all of the parks that day, unlike locker rentals.

My husband needed an ECV for the first time this past January. We rented from Walker Mobility. The scooter was waiting for us when we arrived at BWV, fully charged and ready to go. The staff at Walker was friendly and professional and answered all my questions fully. We will probably need to get a scooter for our future visits; my husband recently had Achilles Tendon reconstruction which the doctor says will allow him to walk normally (let’s hope) but won’t allow for a day of “Disney walking.” Our intention would be to take the scooter to the park and leave it in a designated area (stroller parking) and come back for it when needed.
We used Disney transportation in January; the bus drivers are experienced in dealing with ECVs and load them fairly quickly, efficiently, and safely.

We went with my brother in April and rented from Apple Scooter Company. They are quite a bit more reasonable than Walker and were very good to work with. The scooter was waiting for us at the hotel near the baggage check in. It was very easy to drive and we had no problems usung the bus transportation. Having a scooter does not give you a fast pass for rides LOL, you may just proceed down a different path so to speak on occasion. Most of the lines are wide enough to accomodate scooters. I reccomend them highly. We only had 1 issue with someone that was rude and thankfully my brother didn’t hear the comments. It was difficult enough watching him struggle each day.

Several years ago, I was injured in one of the Water Parks, and could not get around and Disney rented me a scooter from an outside vendor to use for the rest of our trip. I had no problems getting on or getting off any of the Disney transportations, and we went on everything. The good thing about the outside vendor was that they brought the scooter to the hotel and then picked it up after our stay was over. I did not use it for front of the line priveleges, but sometimes they require to use the alternate entrance if you are in a scooter, which was nice because I could not walk far and it was shorter to get on the rides that way. I wasn’t going to the front of the line, just making easier on myself to get to the rides. My stepfather had to use a scooter on and off on our first trip after he had both knees replaced. We took a poncho to cover the scooter when it was very sunny or when it rained, and sometimes we left it parked at one ride so he could walk around and ride everything in that area and then came back to get the scooter when we had to walk longer distances. This was easier on us as we did not have to have someone else ride in the scooter and he was not confined to it all the time. Believe me, it’s not fun riding in a scooter all day. It’s very limiting, especially at WDW. My mom put a scarf on the scooter so it was easily recognizable and it was always there when we came back. Hope this helps.

I am like several of the rest of the people out there. My DW has ddd in her lower back making walking all day impossible. She is wanting to get a scooter for our stay in Jan. at Disney. we tried to get around last time with out one she was a god sport but she was in pain most of the trip and the quality of the vacation suffered from her pain for her. So is walker mobility the best place to rent one from?

Perhaps your mother would be ok with renting it from one of the companies and just using it to get from one ride…etc…to another. She can get up to wait in lines…etc so she won’t feel like she is getting any extra privilages. Of course, if she starts to tire she can then choose to use it to wait in line. She can also choose to not use it some of the time and just leave it in her room and go back and get it later. I have a feeling as the days roll on she will want to use it more and more and this way the use can be decided by her.
My mom couldn’t physically walk around Disney. Her legs actually swell in the heat and we had to rent her a scooter the last time we went with her. It made such a difference.

I’m sorry to dig up this older thread, but I’m now getting close to my trip with my family in October - and my Dad has decided that a scooter is a good idea.

We are now trying to decide if we should rent from the outside company (cost will be $225 for Oct 1 - 9). They will drop it off at the Boardwalk for us, and pick it up at the end of our stay.

Or if we should just rent the ones inside the park.

My Dad can walk from place to place, but it is painfull for him (back, hip, knee problems). He would be able to walk from the hotel to the bus, bus to the park, etc…

There are so many pro’s and con’s for both inside the park rental and outside service.

My main concerns with outside service:

1. We wouldn’t want to take it on the bus.
  2. Is it hard to drive it onto the monorail
  3. Will it fit into our rental car trunk (or should we be getting an SUV)
  4. Will it be too heavy for my DH and Brother-in-law to lift out of the car

Concerns for inside the park rental

1. The cost will be $350 for the 7 days of rental
  2. The posibility that the scooter won’t be availabe when we arrive - especially if we park hop. We had this problem on our last trip with the family. If this happens, we will need to use a wheel chair.

What would you choose, and can you ease my concerns with any advice? Thanks in advance!!!

We are so excited to go with my Dad and the rest of the family! We always have a good time with them! I can’t wait to see my Dad have a painfree trip this time - it will be AWESOME! My DS6 and neices will love experiencing it with their POP POP!!

Using the scooter on the bus was a bit of a challenge for my FIL, but after a couple of times, he got the hang of it. It is very convenient to have it w/you all the time. No worries about what time you get to a park etc.