Screever's totally-delayed-and-lovely-but-not-very-epic May '11 TR!

This is based off bits of memory and quick little notes I took as a form of a TR while I was in Orlando with my parents, for a short n sweet trip, May 8-12! Hooray! I might actually finish a trip report! :dry: :mickey:

[B][I]8th, SUNDAY[/I][/B]: Fly out to Orlando with pops–first class!! Drive to DTD Hilton and linger in the lobby with unbridled excitement in my homemade tink sneakers while pops finishes up some things for his conference. (This whole trip was basically me and ma tagging along on his business trip. We’re thankful moochers!)

Here’s a fun banner for a conferencethat was in the lobby! I felt alot like that!

We hit up the Rainforest Cafe for dinner which was surprisingly NOT crowded at the time, and we had absolutely no wait. Hooray! The food was delish, though I completely forgot what I ordered. We were seated in the back, in a quieter area, right next to the gorgeous fish tank. Good times with pops!

I had arranged to meet a friend that evening, one of my coworkers from my CP days 8 years ago, and our time together was so special, I can’t put it into words!

Due to my mother’s hectic schedule at the time, she flew in later that night, so I met her in the lobby and showed her where we were snoozin! The next day was EPCOT!

9th, MONDAY : EPCOT DAY!
Since dad was busy with conferences for a majority of the trip, he was a martyr and did not join my mom and I on our one day to the parks. Poor pops…

There’s not a novel-length report for this day that you guys haven’t heard or seen before, so I will narrow it down to the more-than-ordinary highlights! (Or they were for me, at least.)

On the bus ride from the Hilton to EPCOT, some dad let his kid hide under his shirt for warmth (the AC was full blast.) This was only funny because he looked like he had moobs. :laugh:

This was during their glorious Flower & Garden Fest, so there were extra fun things to see!

We of course rode Soarin’ first. I cried like a baby. I need to get a grip!!

In our wanderings to The Seas, we saw a boy all by his lonesome sitting in a Disney stroller…about 4 or 5 maybe? We asked if he knew where his parents were, and he solemnly but calmly shook his head. Ugh…I told him to wait with my mom while I ran to find a cast member, but my mom hailed me back halfway there. The dad showed up, thank goodness, but didn’t look too apologetic. Stop leavin’ your kids, people! :noo:

We ran back to The Land for lunch at the lovely QSFB on the bottom floor. Ma had beet and ogat cheese salad, and I had the oak-seared chicken. We split a cookie! Num num!

I somehow didn’t know they brought Captain EO back to Epcot! I took the picture, but my mom’s not a big MJ fan and that show used to creep me out, so we skipped.

We walked through the butterfly tent, as I’m pretty sure my mom hadn’t been through it before, and I don’t think it was ever this pretty!! We even saw a butterfly trying to “hatch” itself from the coccoon, but these things take time, so we can only assume he made it out alright! Marvelous~

We stopped to say hi to Daisy after Spaceship Earth, and I tried to mimic her. Not very good!

I forgot to mention that we purchased our single-day passes through the Florida Children’s hospital website that Victoria kindly posted! :wub: Donations ahoy!

Also at Epcot, had a little fun with my new camera and it’s panorama sweep mode!

We started through the countries, skimping most of them til France. I admit I never spent much time in France, but we hit up “Impressions of France” which I can’t ever remember seeing…VERY nice!! (Also air conditioned! This was a serious heat-wave week when we were there…of course!)

The photo pass man snagged me in the gift shop, but I’m glad he took a few shots with my camera too, cause I can’t really pay for photo pass. He saw the look of starving artistin my eyes! haha

We hit up the bakery after that, and after getting our orders of chocolate mousse and chocolate croissant, my ma was struck with an ingenious idea. Why not share…and DIP THE CROISSANT IN THE MOUSSE?? What an idea! A very very delicious idea, yummm.

Needless to say, nothing went to waste.

(The countries are turning out of order, cause I just don’t know, but it doesn’t matter much…)

We took FOREVER browsing through the store in Japan. I think I forgot just how big that was!! I needed a nap after that! We rested our feet in the American Adventure, and both got a bit teary when the Liberty Voices did the national anthem. We hadn’t done the animatronic/video show in a while either, and I imagine we saw the latest finale footage, because I don’t remember the 9/11 bits, and thats when I started crying. :crying: Well done, Dis…

I did a good deal of gift-buying in Italy, where the dude behind the counter kept…staring…at me. A little unnerving, even more than the total cost of purchases! (All very worth it, though!) My mom enjoyed the magic/juggling entertainment outside while I shopped.

We also took a good deal of time browsing in Morocco, we’ve skipped over it in more recent trips and it was due for some lovins.

Treading through more countries…oh look, Rafiki found dinner! We were getting pretty hungry and tired when we reached China, but the 360 film there is my mom’s fav, and the attendant kindly let us sneak in within the first minute of it starting. Whew! Afterwards, it was decided that we’d skip the fireworks and head home earlier. In truth I was pretty sad about this, but ma can only take so much walking these days. :frown: We tried to get food at ANY place in Mexico, but all was busy with insane wait times. We rode the Gran Fiesta Tour :wub: and decided to try the Electric Umbrella on the way out. Success! It wasn’t crowded and we found reasonable sustenance. Then it was off to the bus stop, and we got home around when the fireworks would have ended. I do admit it was nice beating the crowds and having time to shower before crashing…

Goodnight, Epcot! I’ll see you again when you’re in my budget!

Screever this is a great hair cut on you, you look so beautiful. You’ve got really great bone structure to pull it off. I have a round face so it would look horrible in me but you and the hair cut, you’re pulling it off well.

P.S. The TR is great, can’t wait to read more.

My DH would very much like your idea with the pastry.

How did you do the tr with all the links to pictures?:confused: Dumb me didn’t know they were links, I thought you were just emphasizing (is that the right word) parts of the story.:blink::blink::laugh: Until disneyfreak78 said how cute you looked, I figured there must be pictures hiding someplace.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1093225]My DH would very much like your idea with the pastry.

How did you do the tr with all the links to pictures?:confused: Dumb me didn’t know they were links, I thought you were just emphasizing (is that the right word) parts of the story.:blink::blink::laugh: Until disneyfreak78 said how cute you looked, I figured there must be pictures hiding someplace.[/QUOTE]

Yes I’m intrigued how you did that too. Like Joanne I didn’t realise they were links either, very cool, now reveal all to the uninitiated:laugh:

Great TR, I would like to know how you did the links too, although I did realize they were links (she says smugly) =0). I am having trouble just downloading pics! LOL

Yay! We get to learn somethin new! =)

Alot of these pics are already on my FB, but I uploaded them again to photobucket for this TR.

I COPIED the link for a picture in another window/tab, then “highlighted” text in my TR, much like you would highlight text for Bold or Italics. After highlighting, there is a button in that mess of em up there (in “advanced” posting only) that has the earth and a short chain link. (Right under the white smiley face.) You click that, and a new tiny window pops up. You may have to “temporarily allow scripted windows” if your internet is uptight.

Make sure the text area is totally clear, then PASTE the picture link you copied into the open text line of that new window. Hit okay, and voila! You have a strange new mess of letters in the editing stage of your TR, but when you hit “preview” you can click the cleaner “hotlinked” text and see your picture!! Hooray!

As far as I know this is called HTML, a form of webcoding, but the forum has those lovely shortcuts, like the one I just explained, to make it a bit easier. And its more fun, too! I hope it made sense and was helpful, I’m not always the best at explaining things. I’ll finish my TR tonight, thanks for the TR/hair compliments! :laugh:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1093225]My DH would very much like your idea with the pastry.

How did you do the tr with all the links to pictures?:confused: Dumb me didn’t know they were links, I thought you were just emphasizing (is that the right word) parts of the story.:blink::blink::laugh: Until disneyfreak78 said how cute you looked, I figured there must be pictures hiding someplace.[/QUOTE]

Stop that negative self talk! You’re not dumb! :pirate: There are just lots of things to learn about the internet. :happy:

Also, try that next time with DH, it really was REALLY good…it was the perfect combo of dry and wet, and both were SO LIGHT…the mousse was almost lighter than the pastry! My mom: super genius. (And chocoholic.) :blush:

[QUOTE=Screever;1093262]Yay! We get to learn somethin new! =)

Alot of these pics are already on my FB, but I uploaded them again to photobucket for this TR.

I COPIED the link for a picture in another window/tab, then “highlighted” text in my TR, much like you would highlight text for Bold or Italics. After highlighting, there is a button in that mess of em up there (in “advanced” posting only) that has the earth and a short chain link. (Right under the white smiley face.) You click that, and a new tiny window pops up. You may have to “temporarily allow scripted windows” if your internet is uptight.

Make sure the text area is totally clear, then PASTE the picture link you copied into the open text line of that new window. Hit okay, and voila! You have a strange new mess of letters in the editing stage of your TR, but when you hit “preview” you can click the cleaner “hotlinked” text and see your picture!! Hooray!

As far as I know this is called HTML, a form of webcoding, but the forum has those lovely shortcuts, like the one I just explained, to make it a bit easier. And its more fun, too! I hope it made sense and was helpful, I’m not always the best at explaining things. I’ll finish my TR tonight, thanks for the TR/hair compliments! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

UMMMM, you lost me after “yay!” :blink::blink::laugh::laugh: But that’s ok, one of these days you people with smart phones and all those gadgets will lose your network, but I"LL still have my tin can and string phone handy.

10th, TUESDAY : SPA AND SHOP AND RELAX! (aka probably only ladies will be interested.)

So when we bought the donation package, me and my mom each got our own “one day/one park” pass and a $15 coupon for one of the higher rated resort Spas. I think the Grand Floridian is just lovely, so prior to leaving, we made our reservations for a basic swedish there!

(This also made us “even”…I took my mom to the park and she took me to the spa!)

Okay, so there’s obviously not alot of pictures from here. :laugh: But I can regale you all with what is decent!

Ma and I went to the DTD bus station, and this was my first time doing it…maybe its just me, but it seemed a little backwards. No bus to the GF before a certain hour of the morning? Odd. Thankfully we left early enough that we weren’t late for our app’ts, but our bus took us to Riverside, where we had to wait to catch the bus to MK, then the monorail to GF! Gracious!

I’m afraid I’m one of those unconventional girls who isn’t a chocoholic and doesn’t really do the “spa scene”, and I was honestly worried about stepping into someplace so fancy and being judged by other patrons! Kinda pathetic, I know… but it turns out I had a pretty nice time. My massuese was really nice, and even made a valiant effort to try and work out my permanent shoulder knots, bless her heart. Afterwards I took advantage of the jazuzzi and I got to just sit quietly in the waiting room (?), read the comic book I brought along and eat as many bananas as I wanted. :laugh:

The worst part (which wasn’t even horrible in comparison to everything else) was that there was one hair dryer in the locker room and the lady there was finished using it, but was still taking her sweet time with makeup and whatnots all spread out on the counter large enough for two, while she knew I was waiting for the dryer. Harupmh! Or maybe that judging attitude I was worried about rubbed off on me. :blush:

Starving but feeling fantastic, we wandered back into the main lobby of the GF, and on our way to a questionable QSFB, we skimmed the menu at the GF cafe, and decided to eat there, because it was still 95 degrees outside. Great choice!! Mom was happy with her mahi mahi and I had a delish roast beef sandwich.

Here’s the only photo of the GFI took. Nothing special, but since the only resort I’ve stayed in was Pop Century (and only ONCE) any resort is cool to me!

More from the day coming soon…

:laugh: I love you, jo-jo!! :wub:

And I don’t have a smart phone either. I have another name for them, but I’m not sure its appropriate for the boards. :laugh::blush:

Thankfully outside of the GF, they had busses that did go directly back to DTD, so around 3 or so we hopped on one of those, then ran back to the hotel to “relax” …Unfortunately pops was done with his conference rather early so it was more like lying on the beds exhausted with a 63 yr old acting like he’s 10 and chatting and unable to wait til dinner, haha. Oh well! =)

We had reervations at Portobello, and everyone’s food was enjoyed! I forgot what everyone explicity got, but according to my notes I apparently enjoyed “mushroom, rice balls, mahi mahi.” Fair enough! We are rarely dissapointed here.

We parted ways with dad around the Lego store (he has an early bedtime) and braced ourselves to do a bit of shoooop-piiiing~ (you have to sing-song it, lol!) Having finished the bulk of my shopping for my wonderful coworkers/bosses, we scoured stores for things for “Pooh Bear” (my nephew :heart: ) my bro, sis in law, random friends, and moi.

We each found cute onesies for Pooh Bear; mom’s had Tigger’s face on the front, with GRRRR written on it, and Tigger’s tail on the back, in his immediate size! …mine was blue with Mickey’s body on it so it looks like the child’s head belonged to Mick’s body, and it said “100% AWESOME!” Which he is. :wub: That is his Christmas present, as it’s a size up.

In Basin, I found an awesome bar of soap for sis in law that was one of her fav scents AND had flip flop shapes in it. She has about 25 flip flops and she loves summer, so yay!

We strugged to find somethin for my bro, but we found this adorable book that is apparently from a series called “Disney Bunnies” and this one was “A Day with Papa” We opened it up to read…and started crying right there in World of Disney store. It was really sweet and darling. I guess we are constantly touched by the fact that our youngest man of the family is a daddy now. :crying: At any rate, we decided it would be a good Father’s Day gift. cha-ching!

At some point I agonized in the pin store for something for the remainder of my coworkers…so many pins!! I had brought most of mine, especially ones I was willing to trade. But alas, I found nada.

We worked off enough calories from dinner, so we decided to grab some cones from Ghiradelli. Yum yum! There was some quiet outdoor seating at the round tables by the water and a stones throw away from the kiddie train. Just lovely!!

All in all it was a lovely day and a lovely evening, but also ma’s last night, cause early Wednesday dad was taking her back to the airport. (Remember the hectic schedule I told you about? Sigh.)

To be continued!

Sounds like a lovely day, except for the transportation in the morning.

A few things:

1. I LOVE those Tink shoes!!! How cute!! :wub:
  2. I have that white skirt you wore on Epcot day too! :smiley:
  3. I just realized I have NEVER been shopping in Italy. You have inspired me to fix that on my next trip!
  4. Spa day sounds heavenly!
  5. Can’t wait for MORE!! :happy:

I love your trip report and pictures, the links were a really good idea! Your hair cut is very cute and so are your pixie shoes. Can’t wait to read more.

Screever help me please. When I try to open my pics from photo bucket into a new tab or window IE can’t find it!! I tried copying the HTML and other forms(?) into my TR and I get the same message. Sorry to thread jack! :whistling

I said I would finish this TR…and I will, darn it!! :laugh::pirate:

11th, WEDNESDAY : more shopping and relaxing!

I forgot to mention that on Tuesday night we met my dad for dinner at Portabello! (We :heart: that place.)

Not too much to report on the last day. Pops had more meetings, so I slept in a bit, wandered the shops in Marketplace some more, had a delish lunch from the Earl of Sandwich (when are we gonna get one in Maryland??) and made some more decisions on what to buy as for souvenirs for friends. (I could NOT make up my mind!! Talk about hard.)

Enjoyed some of the live music (a kid’s choir) while taking a break, and finally bought all I needed to. About time! Met dad after all his meetings and we had made a reservation at Fultons. I’m not a huge fan of seafood 24/7 (I live in a state where crabbing is big!) but neither of us were dissapointed with the meal at all. We enjoyed looking out the window and just watching the DTD ferry round the corner mysteriously, wondering what resort it stopped at.

Packing, sleep, and then we leave the next morning. At least Minnie Mousewaved us goodbye! :heart:

The end!! I finished a TR!!! YEEHAW!!! :biggrin:

I enjoyed yor TR! It is difficult to finish one LOL!

Oh, I’m glad you posted the last day! I had missed this TR during October. I was wondering how your trip to WDW went. Glad you had a great time! And I love your Epcot-touring outfit! :happy: