Seasonal Attendance

We have found the best time to visit WDW is the first two weeks in December. This is in line with many of the publications we have read and posts we have come across. 2 years ago we tried the day after Christmas through the day after New Year’s. NEVER AGAIN. Way too crowded and we didn’t get more than 15 rides in throughout the entire property. This yhear we arrive in WDW on 11/28 and depart on 12/6 and are hearing from other regulars that hotels are sold out during this time already.

Has anyone recently booked a vacation during this time and encountered any issues with finding a place to stay? I’m calling WDW reservations tomorrow to see what they can tell us. We certainly won’t be cancelling our vacation with 13 people, but want to get mentally prepared in case the parks are busting at the seams.

We actually are going 12-26 1-3 so not Im kinda scared.
Oh… I see you are from pennsville. My sister lives there and I used to.

A former Pennsvillian…you are only the second person I’ve ever seen from P’vill on here.

Be prepared to get to the parks early and plan on staying late if you want to get on all the rides and attractions you have in mind. I will tell you that within the first hour at Epcot, Soarin was sold out, including the Fast Passes. We had waited all year to get on that ride and never did. Also, on New Year’s Day it was like Woodstock at the parks. People were camped out everywhere. The little grass and tree islands around the parks that have little fences around them didn’t mean a thing. People were camped out there too. My intent isn’t to scare you away, but to get you mentally prepared for what you have in store for you. If you haven’t done any ADRs, you better try and get them quick, unless you are just going to wing it with dining. Sometimes that is better.

The first week of December has become very popular over the last few years. Just look at the “who’s going to WDW” thread and see how many people from mousebuzz will be there that week. I don’t know how busy it will be, but I thinking that it will be as busy as Halloween. Resorts sell out then too, but not every categroy…seems the moderates and values are the first to sell out…call and see what they have to say.

[QUOTE=mrsmouse;892318]A former Pennsvillian…you are only the second person I’ve ever seen from P’vill on here.

Be prepared to get to the parks early and plan on staying late if you want to get on all the rides and attractions you have in mind. I will tell you that within the first hour at Epcot, Soarin was sold out, including the Fast Passes. We had waited all year to get on that ride and never did. Also, on New Year’s Day it was like Woodstock at the parks. People were camped out everywhere. The little grass and tree islands around the parks that have little fences around them didn’t mean a thing. People were camped out there too. My intent isn’t to scare you away, but to get you mentally prepared for what you have in store for you. If you haven’t done any ADRs, you better try and get them quick, unless you are just going to wing it with dining. Sometimes that is better.[/QUOTE]

I kinda already knew what I was in for after reading someones TR. I cant remember who:blush:
To be honest I want this trip to be as relaxed as possible since this is the 4th time I would have been there this year so doing everything to us is no biggie. Actually I purchased DVC and the SSR stay was a free incentive so I wanted to use it up:heart: I know its going to be crazy but thats why I booked a vacation in WDW in March. Its my vacation from my crazy vacation:laugh:

The day after I purchased DVC I called to check avail for ANY resort in WDW and they were all sold out for 12-26 1-3 so I needed to break up my stay from studio to 1 bd back to studio just to be able to go the week I wanted:pinch: I dont know why I planned this for this week:pinch:

The crowd calendar on touring plans (Unofficial GUide to WDW) has levels predicted to range between 4 through 7 for those dates. Since Christmas week is all 9 and 10, I’m sure you will be much better off crowd-wise during the time you will be there.

Dana, don’t kid yourself. I’ve had plenty of issues booking rooms at all of the deluxe hotels except AKL for both this coming week and also the second week in December. Lots of reservations are made early although it seems that either Disney Travel is holding some rooms and releasing them at the beginnings of new months or there are cancellations as the actual dates approach. Also, with the economy doing it’s big slide, I have to wonder how many cancellations we’re going to see over the next few months as families decide they really cant spare a couple thousand dollars for a week in WDW.

We’re trying January this year in hopes that it will be the slowest time we’ve ever experienced. Looking at the “Who’s Going” thread seems to show that to be slow as well.

Went Christmas week my first time ever to WDW - Never Again :crying:

We went the 2nd week in Dec.'07 and had no wait. MK was empty for the night EMH.
This year no luck with rooms so we are going Jan. 4th.

Hi Leslieh,
You made reference to the “touring plans” website. Do you find this to be pretty accurate? Have you ever used their tour plan suggestions? We’ve been to WDW many times and have always done our “own little” plan, but I’ve always been curious about their suggestions. We’ll be going Dec 18-24 and we’ve been during this time period before. December is our absolute favorite time to go. Christmas and WDW all rolled into one? Can’t beat it. :tinytree::mickey: I wondered what they are predicting for crowd levels during that time for this year. Thanks.

They have been planning a lot of group things during that time frame and it is now getting to be a more popular time. Still not as bad as during the summer, and the temps are way more comfortable. So I wouldn’t worry about the attendance being awful, just not slow.

We were there this past summer and AKL was completely booked yet we didn’t find the crowds to be overwhelming. Just plan your day with the new rides and headliners first thing in the morning to get fastpasses i.e. Toy Story, Sorin… and you should be fine.Have fun!

I think you’ll be OK. It will be better than Christmas/New Years but I think it will be a little bit more crowded than previously. We have found that January is really the best time to go. It’s just really sad that we will never be able to go in January again since we are both teachers. :crying:

[QUOTE=BBEE;892409]Hi Leslieh,
You made reference to the “touring plans” website. Do you find this to be pretty accurate? Have you ever used their tour plan suggestions? [/QUOTE]

I’ve never followed their plans exactly, but have found it useful as an overall plan of attack. We drop things out that we’re not interested in.

I hope their crowd predictions are accurate, because we used that prediction when picking our January 09 dates.