Second thoughts! UH-OH!

Not my second thoughts, though…

My friend and newly-hatched College Program CM (lets call her E) is having second thoughts about the program now that she’s in the swing of her job working kitchen in one of the parks. She’s expressed to me that this may not be the life she expected, and she may leave the program if stuff doesn’t get better by Labor Day weekend.

I am not judging her by any means, and neither should anyone else, because to me, this girl is a goddess of productivity and hard work. A superchick to the core. Her wanting to back out is surprising–though not entirely, since I had my fair share of homesickness when I was a CP–but nothing she could do about the situation could make me love her less.

That said…E is the friend I was planning on visiting for my Halloween trip to WDW. And buying tix for MNSSHP. And visiting someone I haven’t seen in 2 years. :frown: Her leaving could pose a problem for my semi-solo vacay.

Should I move forward on this trip even if she doesn’t end up staying? Should I count on stalking my lovely MB friends for socializing? Drag along a different friend? Or should I wait to book air/hotel til after Labor Day when she supposedly makes a decision? Or just put the trip off til maybe January when its even quieter, but more boring…?

I’m pretty close to buying a non-ex, park hopping, ten day ticket package anyway, just to have handy and save money for the future, so that shouldn’t be an issue

I can’t ask her about this straight out, I don’t want to make her feel worse than (I’m already sure) she does.

Thanks for putting up with such a weird question. :heart:

if she is homesick and she knows you are coming in October, that may help her have something to focus on, look forward to and get her over the homesickness hump to complete her program.

I’d guess that turn over is pretty high. Face it, MANY of the jobs are not the fun stuff you think about when you think Disney World. For every face CM that you see there are lots of people working behind the scenes in not so fun jobs. And my guess is that she will have the chance to do different things during her time there.

I’d advise your friend to hang in there. Did she expect to jump into a management position? Face it, she probably has no real experience in anything, and probably doesn’t know what she want to really do with her life. College is supposed to be experiences that get you outside your comfort zone, and you just might find that you find something you love and can make a career of, if you are REALLY lucky.

The CP will be over before she knows it. As an employer, I look at someone’s commitment more than what they actually did. Being a CM is part of a team effort, and that’s something employers want to see.

Doesn’t answer your questions but… :laugh:

You know I really wish I would have know about CP back in my college days (I don’t know if they had it back then but I would probably be cleaning up dinosaur poop from the dinosaur ride).

I can understand the homesick stuff and the not enjoying your work (let me tell you. I had 3 jobs during college and none were all that exciting) but there something about sticking out an unpleasant situation*.

Maybe you can encourage her about the rewards of finishing from your own experience.

It is all about attitude baby! If life gives you onions cry for Joy…cause who knows what she got.

(* by unpleasant I mean boring and such…not degrading and abusive stuff)

Oh and if you can afford it get the non-expiring 10-day. You go enough that over time you will save money…but only if you can afford it.

My daughter was very homesick and distressed when she first moved to Germany. We had planned a surprise trip for her 21st birthday, and in the end, to placate her we told her of the surprise. It was just so she had something to hang on to and maybe get her through those first few weeks, so I am agreeing with poohs cabin in a way? Maybe having something to look forward to in the future may help? (It helped my daughter immensely)

That stinks that your friend isn’t enjoying the CP as much as she hoped! I hope things turn around for her - it should be such an exciting time in her life!!

As for your plans…I say go ahead and book the trip. You will have a fabulous solo trip, and if she is still there, it will be a bonus!

Keep us posted!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1045574]I’d advise your friend to hang in there. Did she expect to jump into a management position? Face it, she probably has no real experience in anything, and probably doesn’t know what she want to really do with her life. College is supposed to be experiences that get you outside your comfort zone, and you just might find that you find something you love and can make a career of, if you are REALLY lucky.

[/QUOTE]

She actually has a fair amount of experience in lots of things…cooking, specifically… and she went to a high-rated culinary school in Portland a few years back. She knows exactly what she wants to do and she’s a hard-working, motivated young lady. I am trying to keep her motivated and such through the first unpleasant weeks, but really, if she wants to leave, thats up to her. I’m not gonna make her change her mind just because I want a vacay down there.

That is a good idea, dixie and poohscabin. I don’t want to manipulate for my own benefit, but I’d love to see her and I know she was really looking forward to my visit, too.

Uhh…

E is quitting. Her mom is coming to get her tomorrow. :huh:

I really do have to admit to my shock and surprise.

This changes things alot. I really don’t know if I’d take a trip to Disney for a solid week with no one to visit.

And I waited too long to buy the tickets even off Undercover Tourist and their pre-August prices are finally gone. Could these be signs that I should find some other destination?

…lol, DisneyLAND, maybe? =P

Or put it off til January when I could maybe snag a friend?

Or cancel my year’s vacay entirely and save my money for other things? :sad: I’m so frugal, and since moving into this new beautiful place, I’m realizing the value of the dollar, cause it charges an arm and a leg compared to what I’m used to. It’s just getting harder for me to justify spending over $700 on a vacay at this time. (And don’t tell me being frugal makes me a bad Disney fan! :dry: )

[QUOTE=Screever;1046574]Uhh…

E is quitting. Her mom is coming to get her tomorrow. :huh:

I really do have to admit to my shock and surprise.

This changes things alot. I really don’t know if I’d take a trip to Disney for a solid week with no one to visit.

And I waited too long to buy the tickets even off Undercover Tourist and their pre-August prices are finally gone. Could these be signs that I should find some other destination?

…lol, DisneyLAND, maybe? =P

Or put it off til January when I could maybe snag a friend?

Or cancel my year’s vacay entirely and save my money for other things? :sad: I’m so frugal, and since moving into this new beautiful place, I’m realizing the value of the dollar, cause it charges an arm and a leg compared to what I’m used to. It’s just getting harder for me to justify spending over $700 on a vacay at this time. (And don’t tell me being frugal makes me a bad Disney fan! :dry: )[/QUOTE]

I don’t think anyone is going to tell you you’re a bad disney fan. :flowers:

Do what you’re comfortable doing. Remember that time off and vacations are important… but not being stressed on day-to-day basis about your finances is a quality of life issue, too.

It sounds like you need to plan a bit more to feel really comfortable. So do that, and you’ll have something great to look forward to!