Seems like Disney now on Scooter Patrol

Like many on here, I have had my share of frustration dealing with people in scooters that DO NOT need them. I would venture to say 75% of the people I have seen in scooters are in them for convenience and then they jump line.

Its sickening to me because there are people who truly need this service from and attention from Disney and to see other people abuse this service really is irks me.

Seems it has gotten so bad Disney has had to put a foot down. I REALLY hope Disney is able to work with those who really need this and it doesn’t become too big of a burden for the families who really deserve a magical experience at Disney.
Yahoo Shine - Women’s Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

I think it’ll work out. It sounds like their new solution is a good one.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1138270]Like many on here, I have had my share of frustration dealing with people in scooters that DO NOT need them. I would venture to say 75% of the people I have seen in scooters are in them for convenience and then they jump line.

Its sickening to me because there are people who truly need this service from and attention from Disney and to see other people abuse this service really is irks me.

Seems it has gotten so bad Disney has had to put a foot down. I REALLY hope Disney is able to work with those who really need this and it doesn’t become too big of a burden for the families who really deserve a magical experience at Disney.
Yahoo Shine - Women’s Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs[/QUOTE]

This article is similar to one I posted last week in the Mice Chat forum—:happy: Here is the link to that one again— I know the good people out there are always the first to be affected by others abuse of the system…sad…

Disneyland revamps its disabled access passes- MSN Money

Note—this says Disneyland—so far I haven’t seen anything about WDW yet…but you know it will be coming for there soon too…

This is more an answer to the people who profit off disabilities for “tour groups”. Some idiots were charging a king’s ransom to do tours for families to get access to the front of the line. Not everyone who uses a scooter asks for access. I think the solution is perfect and saw it in place last week during their testing. No one has to wait in queue, but are scheduled to come back at a certain time. People are being given alternate loading etc when needed. This gives people who NEED it the chance to get on the attraction and hinders the people who suck and lie about disabilities to get to the front of the line. I can’t think of a better solution. Like all things that are abused at Disney, it eventually stops to exists. All the things created with the best intentions stopped because dirt bags take advantage.

Dana. I guess the scooters to me are just the symbol to this problem. Its hard for me to take in that people wouldn’t LET those who truly have a special need to the front of the line with no complaints…much less people would basically lie and be ok with themselves.

To me it put Disney in a difficult situation.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1138280]Dana. I guess the scooters to me are just the symbol to this problem. Its hard for me to take in that people wouldn’t LET those who truly have a special need to the front of the line with no complaints…much less people would basically lie and be ok with themselves.

To me it put Disney in a difficult situation.[/QUOTE]

oh I agree. Those scooters make me nuts! I wish they were being used for the right reasons. Example: I have HORRIBLE RA and when I say horrible, I will go 4-6 weeks with such joint pain and swelling it’s unbearable. I still will not use one. I just got back and unfortunately was in the middle of a flare up and had to leave the parks on two occasions. I would rather leave then assault people with a scooter in an already congested park filled with them.

Oh so it HAS started at WDW too…everything I have read says Disneyland with no mention of the world…of course some people who write this stuff don’t know the difference I guess…:laugh::laugh:

This is a very touchy subject for me, and I ask when people start on their rants about scooters, that they realize other people who legitimately need them are hearing these rants, and may take it to heart. I ask that you take their feelings into consideration before you go down a nasty road.

Beth, its the ones who don’t need it that make this so bad. My mom went to WDW with us during the busiest week of the year. She was 77 years old at the time and she REFUSED the scooter. She SHOULD HAVE taken it. After 2 days she was done - she simply couldn’t do it. Pride got in her way from enjoying the world.

What I cannot stand is to see people riding their scooters up to an attraction and then getting out and practically sprinting to get into line or to beat others somewhere. I have seen some abuse by the scooter brigade…BUT HAVING SAID THAT. My little family ASSUMES everyone in a scooter NEEDS a scooter and treats them as such. Which, in the end, many times ticks us off because of the abuse.

Now…all this being said…my wife was born with one leg shorter than the other. In her childhood she spent EVERY summer…EVERY day of that summer in a hospital bed, as they would place wenches in her leg and would crank them periodically to lengthen the bone - tibia. They would STRETCH HER BONE, the pain was incredible. She has had 22 operations on her leg and in the process found out she was allergic to the stitches used 25 years ago…so her leg is severely scared. She has hardly any muscles in one leg from the knee down and is missing a toe on the same side. She suffers greatly from arthritis in that side of her lower half and walks 100% of the time with a slight limp. She has been wheel chair ridden for most of her childhood and spent summers with the kids at St Dom. and Le Boneurs in Memphis who were truly sick. To say my wife has a special place in her heart for those who physically have an issue…well, is an understatement and her compassion for those is very contagious, as myself and our kids have seemed to follow her. Does she use a scooter? NO! Should she? sometimes yes. When she says its time to sit…we sit because we know half the time she is fighting a fight within her own will to prove to herself she isn’t that different from everyone else…

BUT…let her see somebody abusing a disability. Let someone pull up in a handicap parking spot and run into the store or pull that scooter up she just let pass and them skip to their lou in the line or whatever. **** hath no fury - why??? She has been there and I have seen her pain. And as a child in a situation where she simply “couldn’t” she would have given ANYTHING to not need that wheelchair.

Seriously, if its needed - Its needed and those of us who don’t need it should do our best to accommodate.

I guess all that to say the obvious - its the turds in the world who ruin it for those really need the scooter or less wait time in lines or whatever, and make people who want the best for all become weary and skeptical.

Disney in my opinion had to act. Especially, if they can do it in a way that lets those who need these amenities have them and stops the abuse from those who don’t.

I’ve said it before- I think it was a brilliant plan to make every line at DCA wheelchair accessible.

I don’t think there’s anything that can be done about those who use wheelchairs and strollers because they can’t be bothered to exert themselves. It’s really sad that people like that make others with a true need hesitant to get help for real problems beyond laziness.

I am amazed that someone who does not need a scooter would use one. When I had to use a scooter due to a broken foot on our last trip, I stressed about running into someone, so much so that it made me constantly nervous! I couldn’t enjoy the scenery and decorations as I had to be constantly vigilant for adults and children that were not aware of where they were walking.

There is also not enough room to move freely through the shops on a scooter, so I didn’t get to shop. I know, BooHoo! :laugh: :blush:
My DH most likely appreciated that though! :blink:

Why anyone would put theirself through that, I don’t understand!

i honestly think saying that 75 percent of people who use the scooters don’t need them is a HUGE miscalculation. I would say more like 10%. my mom is overwieght and has SEVERE RA. all people see is that she is fat and assume she is just “too lazy” when in reality, she’s obese because she can barely move (and she doesn’t eat well, but that’s not important lol). yes scooters are annoying, so are strollers, line jumpers, mug reusers, pool hoppers and the people chasing that poor guy in the TUTU. reality is, you are at a place that requires A LOT of walking and A LOT of patience. it is what it is. and personally, when going with my parents, i waited just as long if not longer for every attraction!

Nubeanie reminds me that these are really some very separate issues.

Line abuse drives me batty.

Scooters? Eh. They honestly don’t bug me until someone starts acting like the scooter makes them special and entitled. But that’s no different than anyone else who starts acting like a jerk.

Nubeanie, 75% is high and I generalized probably way too much.

Pool Hoppers? Where have I been?

[QUOTE=FairyGranmama;1138294]I am amazed that someone who does not need a scooter would use one. When I had to use a scooter due to a broken foot on our last trip, I stressed about running into someone, so much so that it made me constantly nervous! I couldn’t enjoy the scenery and decorations as I had to be constantly vigilant for adults and children that were not aware of where they were walking.

There is also not enough room to move freely through the shops on a scooter, so I didn’t get to shop. I know, BooHoo! :laugh: :blush:
My DH most likely appreciated that though! :blink:

Why anyone would put theirself through that, I don’t understand![/QUOTE]

I have seen the frustration on the scooter drivers face on a crowded day.

I was going to say that the GAC situation and the scooter busters are what I consider two different things—but maybe not? Disney seems to be heaping them into one…

My comment is that for the GAC for mobile disabilities—I don’t understand why a person can not provide an RX from the doctor? To me it is simple…perhaps not? I don’t know—haven’t been in that situation. I just know of people that have said they have impatient kids so they went to city hall in MK and got a GAC with no problem. That is wrong wrong wrong…

Wheelchair abuse to me is when people rent a wheelchair to go to the front-with a large group–and then since there is no disability switch out who is riding in the wheelchair. I have seen this happen many times—again wrong wrong wrong…and I think this has to stop too!!!

I just don’t know why Disney can’t find a better solution than the one they have come up with.

What problem do you see with this new solution? It looks very reasonable to me.

Well—maybe I didn’t read through it all correctly then. Did you read the thread I posted about the GAC going away? That is what I am referring to. The idea that disabled people both the mental and physical will have a tougher time because those who didn’t need the pass abused it irks me to no end.

Those people who truly have different forms of autism and can not wait in long lines without “meltdowns” will have a harder time getting a short wait. They will apparently have to reserve one ride at a time…and I’m sure programming your day will make it more difficult for these families.

MY point is that I don’t understand why Disney can’t just require a doctors note for those particular individuals, so that they can get the old GAC pass and are truly entitled to it?

Is it difficult to get a doctors note for a wheel chair? --or for the GAC pass? I don’t think so—because I have known people who took them for legitimate reasons—and were never asked by Disney. I also have seen people who obviously didn’t need to be near the front of the line—and abused the system. By asking people for prrof—all this would be solved and you wouldn’t need to change the system—and penalize legitimate disabilities.

I have no problem with for example any autistic child going to the front of my line at WDW on any or every ride. I am thankful that I am not that child nor is anyone else in my family—and they deserve to enjoy disneyworld as much as they can. According to what I have read, that freedom to go to the front will be cut back drastically… :mellow:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1138312]Well—maybe I didn’t read through it all correctly then. Did you read the thread I posted about the GAC going away? That is what I am referring to. The idea that disabled people both the mental and physical will have a tougher time because those who didn’t need the pass abused it irks me to no end.

Those people who truly have different forms of autism and can not wait in long lines without “meltdowns” will have a harder time getting a short wait. They will apparently have to reserve one ride at a time…and I’m sure programming your day will make it more difficult for these families.

MY point is that I don’t understand why Disney can’t just require a doctors note for those particular individuals, so that they can get the old GAC pass and are truly entitled to it?

Is it difficult to get a doctors note for a wheel chair? --or for the GAC pass? I don’t think so—because I have known people who took them for legitimate reasons—and were never asked by Disney. I also have seen people who obviously didn’t need to be near the front of the line—and abused the system. By asking people for prrof—all this would be solved and you wouldn’t need to change the system—and penalize legitimate disabilities.

I have no problem with for example any autistic child going to the front of my line at WDW on any or every ride. I am thankful that I am not that child nor is anyone else in my family—and they deserve to enjoy disneyworld as much as they can. According to what I have read, that freedom to go to the front will be cut back drastically… :mellow:[/QUOTE]

The saddest part of ALL of this is US (by that I mean everyone). If we notice a child with special needs or adult, umm they can go ahead if they want to. I say want to, because we have been in line with families with kids with some sort of special need and we have asked if they wanted to go ahead and they declined and just enjoyed hanging out in line…humbling as I grumbled about an hour wait. There is no WDW policy that would be needed b/c its simply the right thing to do…but the fact WDW has to have a policy that prevents abuse and “asks” people to be decent says more about society than it does about WDW.

Since Disney is obviously not allowed to require proof of any medical disabilities because of privacy laws, they can’t do the simple thing. I suspect that any sort of “voluntary proof” scenario creates some legal snarls, too.

I do think this is the best solution in an imperfect world with entitled and dishonest people.

GRRRR… getting angry all over again over when I saw an older teen I know in a wheelchair he didn’t need. I was with another friend at the time whose father is wheelchair-bound due to advancing MS; if I was angry, she was SEETHING.