September trip - band testing thoughts

Hey, all.

Rather then do a traditional trip report, I thought I would give you some feedback based on my experience with Magic Bands.

What I LOVED about them:
*Checking in for Disney Magical Express by just scanning my band
*Cast Members greeting me by name when my band was scanned
*being able to get into my room without digging through my wallet
*paying for items by scanning my band and using a PIN code
*being able to get into the parks quicker without waiting for the people in front of me to get their pass to go through.

What I didn’t love:
Nothing…I have no idea why people are so opposed to this program.

I am heading back in 8 days and am doing it differently. For this past trip, I picked all my FP+ options prior to arrival. For October, I have not one single thing picked. I am picking my attractions on the night before we go to the park or the morning/day of. I want to experiment and see if there are any “good” ones left with decent times. I was able to pick ones on the fly in September when plans changed and got an FP+ for Toy Story mania for an hour later. I am chalking that up to low crowds and not many people testing. October will have many more people in the parks and many of those people will be testers.

I did not find the band to be uncomfortable in the heat nor was it intrusive, and this is coming from someone who does not wear a watch or bracelets as I can’t stand them.

During my test, I did ask some great questions.
1.) If I lose my band, will anyone be able to access my room credit card and or dining? No, you must know the PIN associated with that band to do so. Bands can be replaced on the spot at your resort and at some guest service location at the park. You are also able to deactivate your band via My Disney Experience app on your phone until you get a replacement as a precaution.

2.) Must I use the band? No, you can still receive a key to your room and kick it “old school” if you are so inclined.

3.) Can you use FP old school and the band at the same time? Yes, it does work for now, but won’t when this is complete. You will ultimately have to pick your poison. Disney is really asking you not to do both if you are a tester as it’s screwing up info.

Summary: I found them to be super useful and handy. I also found having that FP+ for my favorite attractions didn’t make me race through the parks quite as much. I saw more and did more because I didn’t feel compelled to race and fight for a pass. I also thought that tempers seems more in check because of that. Toy Story mania at opening wasn’t quite a mad house. It did not screw with real time Fast Passes either. There were plenty at all major attractions to go around even with the testers having pre-picked.

I will report back my findings from October and let you know how it goes if you do Disney 100% spontaneously and just pick your passes that day or the night before. I will try to evenly do it, so the info is as accurate as possible.

And I can attest that the magic band makes you look hot!

[QUOTE=Dana;1138328]Hey, all.

Rather then do a traditional trip report, I thought I would give you some feedback based on my experience with Magic Bands.

What I LOVED about them:
*Checking in for Disney Magical Express by just scanning my band
*Cast Members greeting me by name when my band was scanned
*being able to get into my room without digging through my wallet
*paying for items by scanning my band and using a PIN code
*being able to get into the parks quicker without waiting for the people in front of me to get their pass to go through.

What I didn’t love:
Nothing…I have no idea why people are so opposed to this program.

I am heading back in 8 days and am doing it differently. For this past trip, I picked all my FP+ options prior to arrival. For October, I have not one single thing picked. I am picking my attractions on the night before we go to the park or the morning/day of. I want to experiment and see if there are any “good” ones left with decent times. I was able to pick ones on the fly in September when plans changed and got an FP+ for Toy Story mania for an hour later. I am chalking that up to low crowds and not many people testing. October will have many more people in the parks and many of those people will be testers.

I did not find the band to be uncomfortable in the heat nor was it intrusive, and this is coming from someone who does not wear a watch or bracelets as I can’t stand them.

During my test, I did ask some great questions.
1.) If I lose my band, will anyone be able to access my room credit card and or dining? No, you must know the PIN associated with that band to do so. Bands can be replaced on the spot at your resort and at some guest service location at the park. You are also able to deactivate your band via My Disney Experience app on your phone until you get a replacement as a precaution.

2.) Must I use the band? No, you can still receive a key to your room and kick it “old school” if you are so inclined.

3.) Can you use FP old school and the band at the same time? Yes, it does work for now, but won’t when this is complete. You will ultimately have to pick your poison. Disney is really asking you not to do both if you are a tester as it’s screwing up info.

Summary: I found them to be super useful and handy. I also found having that FP+ for my favorite attractions didn’t make me race through the parks quite as much. I saw more and did more because I didn’t feel compelled to race and fight for a pass. I also thought that tempers seems more in check because of that. Toy Story mania at opening wasn’t quite a mad house. It did not screw with real time Fast Passes either. There were plenty at all major attractions to go around even with the testers having pre-picked.

I will report back my findings from October and let you know how it goes if you do Disney 100% spontaneously and just pick your passes that day or the night before. I will try to evenly do it, so the info is as accurate as possible.[/QUOTE]

This is excellent Dana. I really appreciate the information—and look forward to your “experiment” in October. I am hoping that it won’t be too hard to choose FP times the night before or last minute in the morning. Thanks for this information. :happy:

Great info!!! Can’t wait to use the Magic bands on our next trip.

:blush::blush::blush: Thanks Tig. Always a pleasure running into and spending the day with you, my bouncy friend.:heart:

YAY! Happy it was useful stuff.

You are very welcome. I will most definitely report back.

Thanks for the info, Dana! We just got our MagicBands for our Oct trip and I can’t make FP+ selections now because one of out tickets is too old to be linked online so I am curious about what will be left for FP+ once we get there and I get the ticket linked. This is a pretty relaxed trip anyway so it is no big deal if we don’t see many attractions, I am mostly curious to test the new MBs!

Make FP+ selections for everyone that you can. Use the “Copy plan” options to add your person in when you link their ticket.

This is great stuff. :happy:

When does the testing period end?

[QUOTE=Andrea;1138341]This is great stuff. :happy:

When does the testing period end?[/QUOTE]

There is not actual end date. I do know that resorts will be part of the test for November and December, but they will still be testing which means tweaking as necessary.

I want Magic Bands!! I am so bummed that we can’t get them for our trip! :frowning:

:frown: Sorry! They are super magical. Next time! By that time all the kinks will be worked out!

I hope we get selected as “testers” for our December trip. I’m so glad that you had a positive experience and it sounds user friendly too.

On a non- band related subject. How were those Mickey Ears “Glow with the Show”?

Thanks so much for all of your Facebook photos! The Earmarked conference looked like an absolutely amazing experience and one that you definitely deserve!

I’m excited about your “on the fly” Magic Band testing, and I think it’s awesome that you’re doing this and just another reason why you might be the world’s best Disney travel agent. I’m really curious for the results because we’ll be doing basically the same thing in October (I can’t get one of our APs to link with MDE).

[QUOTE=JustaT;1138349]I hope we get selected as “testers” for our December trip. I’m so glad that you had a positive experience and it sounds user friendly too.

On a non- band related subject. How were those Mickey Ears “Glow with the Show”?[/QUOTE]

You will be. All resort guests will have them starting 11/1 as far as I know. Keep looking at your My Disney Experience. We didn’t get a Glow with the Show performance. They just gave us the ears.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1138353]Thanks so much for all of your Facebook photos! The Earmarked conference looked like an absolutely amazing experience and one that you definitely deserve!

I’m excited about your “on the fly” Magic Band testing, and I think it’s awesome that you’re doing this and just another reason why you might be the world’s best Disney travel agent. I’m really curious for the results because we’ll be doing basically the same thing in October (I can’t get one of our APs to link with MDE).[/QUOTE]

Victoria -

Thank you so much for your kinds words. You made my day:heart:

Call the technical line. they have people dedicated to magic band and my Disney experience trouble shooting. They can totally help.

:goofybounce: soooo excited!!!

Dana, could you tell what the bands are made of? As I’ve mentioned before, I have skin allergies and am worried I’d break out in a rash.

When we go in Oct, our stay is split. The first half, w/all the mini-mice, we will be ‘kicking it old style’. When Den & I transfer over to BLT, we will be magic banded. I’ll try to stay sober enough to give you guyz a comparison.
We picked out fast passes plans last night. What a hoot!

And I know everyone wants to know if they are water proof.