Serious about the DVC-any info would be great!

Hi all!
After this last visit, we are truly thinking its’ time to seriously look into the DVC.
Here are my questions/concerns.

I’ve heard a few around MB say they aren’t allowed the promos that most of us take advantage of. Like the free dinning??

I was talking with someone yesterday (at home) and they said you can sell your DVC back to Disney for what you (initially) paid?? Really?

Now can you bring other people with you in the room? Say I wanted to bring my sister & brother in-law with us, can they stay with us free?

Are there any black out dates? And how far in advance do you have to book a vacation?

I know it’s a lot of questions :huh:
I appreciate any advice.
I 'd love to hear everyone’s experiences, pro’s and con’s–if any .

Thank you~ Robyn :mickey:

I’ve heard a few around MB say they aren’t allowed the promos that most of us take advantage of. Like the free dinning??
It is true…we don’t have the priviledge of taking advantage of those special deals.

I was talking with someone yesterday (at home) and they said you can sell your DVC back to Disney for what you (initially) paid?? Really?
Not sure how much they pay, but as I remember, they hold first right of refusal. We have never considered selling ours, so I can’t say definitely.

Now can you bring other people with you in the room? Say I wanted to bring my sister & brother in-law with us, can they stay with us free?
You can bring anyone you want, and you can even reserve the space for someone else (if you are willing to let your time go to someone and you aren’t going to be there).

Are there any black out dates? And how far in advance do you have to book a vacation?
No black out dates. I have gotten a room short notice as little as a week in advance. You can book as far out as 11 months at your home resort and 7 months at any of the other resorts. A lot depends on the time of year and the resort you are trying to book. So far, since we started in 1993 and going 1-3 times a year, I have never not been able to get accomodations.

Hope this helps. Others might be able to give you more information.

You can’t get free dining but I feel like DVC is a better in the long run. Discount will come and go and we’ll still have our DVC. If free dining is something you might want to do every so often you could always rent your points and book on cash.

Nope, not true. Disney does buy points back but not for what you paid and I don’t think directly from members. They get points back through ROFR when people are selling their points to another party.

Yep, as long as the room sleeps that number of people.

You can book your home resort at 11 months out and all other resorts at 7 months out. No back out dates but some times are more difficult to book than others so you really need to be able to plan long term of you travel at busy times and you want a certain resort.

I 'd love to hear everyone’s experiences, pro’s and con’s–if any .

We LOVE our DVC and have not regretted buying in once. I wish we could have done it sooner but we waited until the time was right for us.

There’s a referral thread if you don’t have a guide yet, members get a little reward for referring new members.

Read all you can, there’s so much to learn. [/QUOTE]

I know these aren’t one of your questions, but when we bought into DVC (which we love ), there are a few things I wish I knew better.

use year - I thought I understood use year stuff, plus disney changed some of the rules. We have a dec use yr, which means we have to bank by july 31. But my DH and I usually travel in the fall. Now I wish I had a june use yr. It’s best if you tend to travel during the time of getting points and needing to bank them. Now if in aug. we had to cancel a trip in oct, we would have to rent out the points or lose them.

size of contract…we have a 200 point and a 100 point contract…I wish I had done several 50 point contracts…easier to sell or to pass on to children.

But we do love being able to stay at the deluxe resorts. Before we were POP people.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1039115]I know these aren’t one of your questions, but when we bought into DVC (which we love ), there are a few things I wish I knew better.

use year - I thought I understood use year stuff, plus disney changed some of the rules. We have a dec use yr, which means we have to bank by july 31. But my DH and I usually travel in the fall. Now I wish I had a june use yr. It’s best if you tend to travel during the time of getting points and needing to bank them. Now if in aug. we had to cancel a trip in oct, we would have to rent out the points or lose them.

size of contract…we have a 200 point and a 100 point contract…I wish I had done several 50 point contracts…easier to sell or to pass on to children.[/QUOTE]

Good advice on the use year. We also have a December use year and it works for us right now. We travel in the summer so we’ll know by July 31 if we need to cancel and bank. However, I can see a time down the road when our travel habits will change and we will travel in the fall (retirement). That’s a long way away so it’s not a huge concern and we thought it was more important to have our use year work for us now and for the next 20 or so years.

We have one 200 point contract and it works fine for us. We’ll add on more points later but we don’t mind one larger contract.

Thank you guys for answering all my questions.
We have a lot to think about. But now have a little bit better idea of what to expect.

You can put the points into a family trust. Let THEM worry about splitting! :laugh:

Because my kids are all over legal age, I have them jointly on the titles, with rights of suvivorship. Two major benefits there. Each of my sons is a member and has a blue membership card. If they EVER get around to making grandbabies for us, they will be able to get annual passes for their family. And if I kick the bucket, which I’m not planning on doing until AFTER my last points package expires in 2059, my “share” rolls over to them.

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1039084]I’ve heard a few around MB say they aren’t allowed the promos that most of us take advantage of. Like the free dinning??
[/QUOTE]

I’ve found from renting points to others, that even not getting the “free” dining and such, I can often match or BEAT the WDW rate to stay at value resorts. And your annual cost will be below the rental price per point.

For example, in Dec I’m staying in a 2 bedroom at Bay Lake with a Magic Kingdom view. The cost considering just the annual dues is about $212 per night. Cost from WDW for same lodging: $1080 per night. Savings $868 per night. ONE night’s savings will pay for DDP for all 5 of us for the 4 day trip! Savings on the 2nd & 3rd night pays for annual passes for us.

We haven’t had too many issues with the use year, but we tend to plan out a ways, so we know when we need the points for a trip and when to bank them. Example, this year we took a trip to Disneyland on points in June. With our use year (Sept), we had to bank by the end of April. We knew we were using all our points for this use year, do no bank required. Our next trip is this December to WDW, uses points from the next use year, and doesn’t use all our points, so we’ll have to sit down before next April and decide if we will take another trip before Sept or not.

I like that DVC makes you plan out time off work/with the kids/etc, and that you get to stay at deluxe resorts. I don’t think it would have changed our decision, but I know if we were willing to stay at All Stars all the time with all the incentives they offer, we could done some inexpensive vacations, and not seen as much savings as they advertise when you compare to the cost of the deluxe rooms.

On the positive, we have been surprised at the number of discounts we get as DVC members. On this last trip to DL, we got 10% off virtually every meal.

Oh, one other thing I forgot…do get as many questions as you can answered in forums like this before calling. We found out that once you call the DVC sales reps, sometimes there is a timeframe (like 30 days) that you have to close the deal in order to get the incentives (discount point price/cruise/etc). Can add some extra pressure you may not need when making an expensive decision.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1039157]You can put the points into a family trust. Let THEM worry about splitting! :laugh:

Because my kids are all over legal age, I have them jointly on the titles, with rights of suvivorship. Two major benefits there. Each of my sons is a member and has a blue membership card. If they EVER get around to making grandbabies for us, they will be able to get annual passes for their family. And if I kick the bucket, which I’m not planning on doing until AFTER my last points package expires in 2059, my “share” rolls over to them.

[/QUOTE]

We do have the kids on the titles. But we OFTEN say, these are OUR points, but we’ll let you use some. I just thought after we are gone, it would have been easier to say these are DD’s points and these are DS’s points. I think maybe what they will do is, this year DD uses the points and pays the dues, next year DS uses the points and pays the dues. But I do have plans much as you, I’ll only be about 105 when the contract expires, so I think it’s doable.