Shades of Green and Dining Plan

I have a friend whose family will be staying at Shades of Green this summer. Are SOG guests eligible for regular DDP? Would they also be eligible for Free DDP promotions and other non-resort discounts? If not, does SOG offer its own discounts for dining, etc? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to say they don’t qualify for ANY DDP unless they are staying in a non-discounted Disney owned resort. They can get free ddp or up to 40% off rack rate at a disney resort, but not both. They can also add the salute tics to either one making it a package. At sog they do have dining deals but their restaurants do leave alot to be desired for. I’ll put it this way, it’s substance in a pinch. What they do get for staying there is deluxe sized rooms at value price, emh, package delivery, WDW and resort transportation, and access to an onsite shoppette. Also resort and all inside are tax free.

Mickeybug put it perfectly. SOG serves a purpose and it serves it in an outstanding way. The rooms are as big as those at the Contemporary Resort, and at a price lower than a Value Resort room before a promotional discount. The resort is always clean and well kept, with a staff that is friendly and helpful to a point they go way overboard sometimes. The pools are not themed, but serve their purpose well. And the Exchange Store and other retail spots are great to have.
Now, as to the food, I can say that I had the worst pizza in my entire life at SOG about 7-8 years ago. How they could wreck a pizza is beyond me. And the breakfast buffet a few years back would be rated below a cold McDonalds Egg McMuffin after having sat around for 3 hours. The option of the DDP would be nice.
For the price, SOG is a real value. I highly recommend it to anyone who spends most of their time in the parks. But if you are looking for Disney Immersion, SOG is not for you. But then again, think of what you could do with the extra $$$.

It’s a great deal easier than you think.
Such a simple dish, yet get the dough wrong, and you lose.
Get the sauce wrong (and so many do), and you lose.
Get the blend of cheeses wrong, and you lose.

It’s kind of like mixing a power trio (i.e. Hendrix, Zep, Cream).
You’d think with only three or four ingredients, it would be simple to get the mix right. Practice tells you this is not the same as “in theory”. Practice says all ingredients are carefully balanced on a knife’s edge and it’s so easy to lose that balance. *

*Zen and the Art of Pizza
:laugh:

It’s not as bad as it used to be since they got a new chef. It’s not great, reminds me of Papa John’s Pizza and the kids like it by the pool but when it’s late, you’re tired and don’t want to get back out it works. It’s no worse than Pizzafari, but other than for the decor’ I won’t make a special trip there either :rolleyes:

Very nice and affordable way to go to disney (the rooms easily sleep 5), but I too, thought the food options were extremely limited. I did love one of the choices (chicken alfredo???), they gave me so much that I could not eat it all. Problem with that was, the to-go box would not fit in the fridge and there are no microwaves in the room.

It’s on WDW property (Disney owns the land but it’s a long term lease) but Shades isn’t a Disney resort.

And there REALLY isn’t any such thing as “free” dining. It’s in the price one way or another.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1098779]It’s on WDW property (Disney owns the land but it’s a long term lease) but Shades isn’t a Disney resort.

And there REALLY isn’t any such thing as “free” dining. It’s in the price one way or another.[/QUOTE]

I think the story goes: Disney sold The Golf Resort buildings to the DoD sometime in the mid 90’s. So DoD owns the resort itself.
And THAT’S how America’s defenders have their own 4 star quality resort in WDW (one of the original 3 hotels) that costs less the lower your rank.
Personally, I love the idea and the concept. And I’ve never even worn the uniform.

Originally there was a 99yr lease but before then did the expansion in 2000 DoD purchased it. DoD owns the buildings but has usufruct of the property itself.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1098779]It’s on WDW property (Disney owns the land but it’s a long term lease) but Shades isn’t a Disney resort.

And there REALLY isn’t any such thing as “free” dining. It’s in the price one way or another.[/QUOTE]

Room discount is always cheaper for us than free dining.

Us too, esp since we use alot of our Rewards points to cover our TS meals, and pay oop for the QS ones.

DDP isn’t a big thing for us either. OOP w/ TIW is always the better way for us to go since we hop around and decide last minute what we want to at. Many nights we will hit one of the lounges and do apps and drinks. It is all 20% off with TIW.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1098780]I think the story goes: Disney sold The Golf Resort buildings to the DoD sometime in the mid 90’s. So DoD owns the resort itself.
And THAT’S how America’s defenders have their own 4 star quality resort in WDW (one of the original 3 hotels) that costs less the lower your rank.
Personally, I love the idea and the concept. And I’ve never even worn the uniform.[/QUOTE]

In principle it’s a good idea, but the rates are often not really that great IMHO, especially when you consider pay to park if you drive in or have a rental car.

I used to love Disney Inn (such a nice break on the peaceful golf courses) but to me Shades is a fancy HoJos. Just not the same feel that it used to have.

I was in the military for many years (now retired). We stayed at SOG once. As others have pointed out, it is not a Disney property, and it shows. Another time we got a great deal–SOG was closed for renovation and we were re-booked at SOG rates into the Contemporary. That was great.

We still use the SOG ticket office to buy our annual passes now, but I don’t even like getting on the SOG buses. And the staff there are decidedly not CMs.

For the money, I’d use the military discount Disney offers on value resorts. We just returned from marathon week at All Star Sports. We paid $69 a night with a military discount.

As for the Dining Plan, there is good math to be done. We have done it (when it is free), but on the whole, we do better without it. (And to us, the biggest detractor to the DDP is being tied to rigid dining reservations every night.)

Have fun!

so, can TIW be purchased by us loafers or is it strictly for DVC owners?

Sorry, I know this was discussed before but I didn’t pay attention. That or my old age is rearing it’s ugly head by way of forgetfulness:wacko:

TiW can be purchased by anyone with an AP.

[QUOTE=K5XS;1099513]I was in the military for many years (now retired). We stayed at SOG once. As others have pointed out, it is not a Disney property, and it shows. Another time we got a great deal–SOG was closed for renovation and we were re-booked at SOG rates into the Contemporary. That was great.

We still use the SOG ticket office to buy our annual passes now, but I don’t even like getting on the SOG buses. And the staff there are decidedly not CMs.

For the money, I’d use the military discount Disney offers on value resorts. We just returned from marathon week at All Star Sports. We paid $69 a night with a military discount.

As for the Dining Plan, there is good math to be done. We have done it (when it is free), but on the whole, we do better without it. (And to us, the biggest detractor to the DDP is being tied to rigid dining reservations every night.)

Have fun![/QUOTE]

We used to do that when our kids were younger, but now that they’re older (and bigger) being a family of 5 we’re pretty much limited to a Deluxe and even with 40% off it’s still well over $100 more a night than what we’d pay at SoG. We’re talking an extra grand and then some easy. What it basically boils down to is if it’s going to be a “park trip” then hands down SoG can’t go wrong, but if it’s going to be a “WDW etal trip” then we may splurge and pay the extra since we’ll have more resort time.
Can’t see paying 4 walls to babysit my clothes all day if i’m not using the facilities :wink: