Shades of Green for non-retired veterans

Hi all,

Since it is January I wanted to remind all those who served, but who did not not retired or are not disabled that you can get a great rate at Shades of Green right now.

Those of you who have served their full 20 years or were unfortunate enough to be disabled are taken care of all year long. But the military and Disney does take care of the rest of us twice a year.

The link below will get you to the information that will allow you to take advantage of the SoG rates during January or September.

Non-Retired Veterans now eligible to stay at Disney World’s Military Resort - Shades of Green

Regards,
Harry

Thank you for pointing this out Harry. I am happy that SoG tries to provide this option to those who were not fortunate enough to do a full 20 as I was.

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1128086]Hi all,

Since it is January I wanted to remind all those who served, but who did not not retired or are not disabled that you can get a great rate at Shades of Green right now.

Those of you who have served their full 20 years or were unfortunate enough to be disabled are taken care of all year long. But the military and Disney does take care of the rest of us twice a year.

The link below will get you to the information that will allow you to take advantage of the SoG rates during January or September.

Non-Retired Veterans now eligible to stay at Disney World’s Military Resort - Shades of Green

Regards,
Harry[/QUOTE]

Wow I had no idea they offered anything like that for those of us who didnt retire. Thanks for pointing this out! Also they got a nice link on their site to the place where you can request a new copy of your DD214.

Always an important document to keep close at hand. I’m amazed how many freinds of mine have no idea where there 214 is 20 years after a 4 year hitch.

It’s a great price, but it’s not Disney. But it sure the heck is close enough though.:cool:
I :wub: SoG

I have both copies in the safe at home one from my active service and one from my active reserve service. Never know when you might need them!

-H

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1128098]It’s a great price, but it’s not Disney. But it sure the heck is close enough though.:cool:
I :wub: SoG[/QUOTE]

I just think it’s great that someone at DoD had the idea and the balls to go through with first taking over operation and then outright ownership of the former Golf Resort as an RnR destination.

You should ALWAYS have your DD214. So many places give great discounts to former soldiers. Home Depot, Lowes, tons of restaurants. I hate to ask for it, but if I am spending alot at HD or Lowes, it never hurts to get that 10%. DoD will give you certified copies for a couple of bucks each and I keep one in my wallet at all times as well as my old expired ID.

Has anyone stayed at SoG? I would love to hear how it is.

If you want something run smoothly and with attention to detail you should always chose one of my brethren or sisters. Nobody on this earth has that kind of dedication and attention to detail other than them.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1128113]You should ALWAYS have your DD214. So many places give great discounts to former soldiers. Home Depot, Lowes, tons of restaurants. I hate to ask for it, but if I am spending alot at HD or Lowes, it never hurts to get that 10%. DoD will give you certified copies for a couple of bucks each and I keep one in my wallet at all times as well as my old expired ID.

Has anyone stayed at SoG? I would love to hear how it is.[/QUOTE]

I Love SoG. We stay there or else do a split stay on most every trip.

It’s a nice off the beaten path resort with extremely affordable rates. Avg is $123 a night, which is good since the sqft equals that of Deluxe resorts.

Each room has 2 queen beds, a full size sleeper sofa, fridge, bathrooms with double sink vanities in seperate room, balconies, all interior rooms with doorbells. Microwaves are in the laundry rooms. The resort has a 5 story parking garage with optional Valet parking, 2 TS restaurants (eh…just, OK), 3 CS and a grab n go by the bus stop that sells b’fast, lunch and Starbucks. An ice cream parlor, a store equal to a shoppette with alcohol/smokes at regular base prices, a gift shop, ITT office, Cyber room, full exercise room, tennis courts and access to golf courses. They also have a spa, hot tub and 2 pools. One pool will be down this spring to make it zero entry, the other (Mickey pool) will go down in the fall to add a themed slide.

They have their own bus system which is great since it runs on a schedule, but unfortunatley it doesn’t go to the front door of the parks. To AK, HS, BB, TL & DTD there’s a designated parking spot. To MK & EP there’s a spot at TTC. There’s also the Shady Shuttle (a golf cart) that takes you to the road where there’s a path to access the Poly. Poly has a SoG guest sign so they’re used to us coming over. There’s also an Alamo car rental desk in the lobby.

Guests have access to EMH and Package Delivery. No DDP but they have their own dining plan. I don’t really recommend it. It’s not over the top Disney themeing but sometimes it’s nice to take a break from it. If anyone has access I highly recommend doing a split stay. It’s close enough to take a mid day break and affordable enough to use your extra cash on park stuff.

I personally like the Palm wing (by parking garage) because we drive and use our car while there, and it’s a closer walk back to the room at the end of the day… Many like the Magnolia wing because of the pools.

Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air
Standard rooms.

Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort offical website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air
A few resort pics.
Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air
Suite Pics.

Here are maps of the resort-
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/1022729-post18.html

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1128113]
Has anyone stayed at SoG? I would love to hear how it is.[/QUOTE]

We were lucky enough to stay at SoG several years ago with some very good friends. The resort was beautiful and the rooms were huge and very, very nice. The buses aren’t Disney but they do run on a schedule so you know exactly when they will run. If you don’t mind a 10 minute walk the Poly is a great transportation option.

The resort doesn’t have all the Disney touches we love but it is beautiful and the location is great. I would stay there again in a second.

We went to SoG to rent a car during one of our trips a few years back. The grounds and lobby are wonderful, and there is a quality there – just can’t quite put my finger on it – a real joy of military families together, some uniformed men and women arriving, etc.
It just felt special, that’s all.

We just stayed at SoG this past trip. We had 2 rooms for $94.00 a night during one of their specials. Putting that together with our AP’s and TiW I could not get into a Moderate for that price. And Dana tried every tip she could, even with Free Dining. We wanted to try one of the PO resorts.

It is relaxing, always clean, the staff is super courteous. The food has improved some at the sit down locations since a stay 2 years previous, but they have a some further improvements to make.

People have blasted the shuttle, but it is just that, a shuttle. It is free, runs on time, and serves it’s purpose. But we still drive may times to the parks and park for free with our AP and AAA Diamond Pass.

The main pool serves everyone well, and the original pool from the former Golf Resort is also there. And there is a food location right by the main pool to get food and any drink of your choice while lounging around.

Overall it is a great opportunity for military members to experience WDW and enjoy the World like the rest of us do, but at a reduced rate.

I still love DIsney theming, but it is also nice to escape sometimes and SoG provides us that opportunity.

I’ll put up some of my brothers and sisters in “my”“army” against yours any day.
Most major and minor tours are very similar to military operations with multiple points where failure is not an option and the schedule must be maintained. “My” “shock troops” are equally adept at lightning strikes under far less than optimal situations:laugh:

Then again, we’ve also got more than our share of slackers, shirkers, and scammers who just won’t get with the program.

uhm mmmm k

Guess I missed all those roadies with M-16’s crawling out of foxholes for their daily rations of MRE’s while trying not to get shot at in the process :rolleyes:

Play nice kids, we were talking about logistical ability, not combat readiness. Although I played in a band for a while and could have used a squad of Rangers at a couple of the desert parties we put on.

-H

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1128388]Play nice kids, we were talking about logistical ability, not combat readiness. Although I played in a band for a while and could have used a squad of Rangers at a couple of the desert parties we put on.

-H[/QUOTE]

There’s a smile on that face. That’s the problem with typing messages, you don’t hear the tone of voice in which something is said. Unless it’s obvious lovey-dovey it’s hard to detect whether a message is (dry) humor, comical sarcasm, or just being down right bratty :wink:

Roadies = Quartermasters, Engineers, SeaBees, Loadmasters, Liftmasters, etc :tongue:

Besides, I AM NOT A ROADIE!
I am an engineer, an audio engineer.

Foxholes? No. ****holes? More than I care to remember and there were plenty of nights an M-16 or a 9 MM Glock might have been handy.

As for MREs, I think I’d prefer them to most of the deli trays I’ve gotten over the years. Especially the deli trays that gave the whole band and crew food poisoning.

:laugh:I have a cousin that’s been in your trade for 30 years as well. Interesting group of people. I will just go with planning is important and thank the stars that at least the mil does drug testing before they leave you in charge of multi-million dollar planning efforts.:laugh: