Shades of Green

So, has anyone ever stayed at Shades of Green? The Hubby gets back from Afghanistan in Feb. and we were wondering if shades of green was a good enough hotel to relax in, or if we should spend the extra money for a more disney themed resort. Any experience out there?

Thanks!

The place is great. If just you and DH then it a perfect place to relax. The pool area is nice the food is great the only drawback is that if you drive you have to pay for parking and the Magical express doesn’t drop you off and pick you up to and from the airport.

You’ll want to send a private message to Mickeybug or Franco54.
There are others, but offhand I don’t remember who.
SoG is one of the 3 original hotels in WDW. It opened in 1973 as The Golf Resort and it, like the Poly and Contemporary were deluxe hotels.
DoD leased the hotel sometime in the 90’s for the exclusive use of service personnel.
That’s when it became SoG.

Another thing to keep in mind, the lower your hubby’s rank, the less you’ll pay at SoG.
If you were to stay across the street at the Grand Floridian or Poly you would be paying hundreds more each night.

Welcome to Mousebuzz! I bet you’re counting the days until February!:happy:

As Soundgod said, Franco can give you all the scoop on Shades of Green. Don’t worry about it being gorgeous - because it will be. I do remember someone telling me that the rooms are absolutely HUGE! Send Franco a PM - I’m sure he’ll be happy to fill you in.

Welcome to MouseBuzz. We stayed at Shades of Green a few years ago and loved it. THe hotel is beautiful and the rooms are huge! I thought the resort was very relaxing and quiet.

It’s a long walk to the Poly. Also, check to see if you get extra magic hours and other amenities that you receive when staying on property. We can stay on property during value season cheaper. LOL

We could do Extra Magic Hours like Disney resort guests when we stayed at SoG in 2004. I think it tool us about 10 minutes to walk to the Poly, it wasn’t far and it was an easy walk. You can also catch a ride in a golf cart if you time it right.

I think we paid $99 a night. However, the rooms were deluxe quality so I would pick SoG over a value resort any day.

Shades is a great place to stay, although I do miss the old Disney Inn. It was a sleepy little resort with about 200 rooms as I recall. We used to stay there all the time, and have been able to stay at SoG several times since with friends.

Since the lease to DOD, it’s become a full size resort. The walk to Poly is an easy one (5-10 min) or take the bus to TTC.

You can also stay at a WDW value resort for about the same or possibly even less but not as nice. Not that the values are dumps just smaller.

With DH’s rank it ends up being about $120 a night, however, if we were to stay on Disney property (which we totally would), we’d stay at a moderate resort, like Carribbean. I guess we’re just concerned about the quality of the hotel. We’ve been to several Army housing/lodging facilities and they’re just chock full of cocroaches and other nasties. We definitely don’t want that for our Disney vacation. We’re kinda also concerned about the possibilities of seeing a lot of brass kissing…that’s just the worst, we wanna take a vacation away from the military. But, as others suggested, I have PM’d Franco. Thanks for all of the advice so far! (and yes, i am counting down the days til Feb!)

Shades of Green is a beautiful resort, I don’t think the quality will be an issue. I also didn’t notice any brass kissing but I also wasn’t looking for it.

Oh my goodness! Cockroaches are not allowed at WDW! Only certain mice, geckos and bunnies!

And ducks swimming in pools.

don’t forget about those gators too:laugh:

Seriously, unless you’re wanting an overload of Disney theme the SOG is great. Just because it’s owned/operated by DoD, it’s still rated as a top notch resort. I mean, it’s not the Grand Floridian, but it’s NOTHING like billiting or TLA. It has a store (shoppette), two TS restaurants, a Spa, two pools & hot tub, laundry room, exercise room, three golf courses that have hosted tourney’s with players like Tiger, Hal & even Arney
Except for DVC’s et al, SoG ranks as some of the largest rooms on property.
No Brass kissing there. Apparently they’re all on vacate too and want to relax the arms as well, lol.
No DDP allowed. But you do get discounted tics, EMH and “access” to WDW in-park trans, but not direct to/from hotel. Depending on where we’re going we usually catch the golf-limo (as DD calls it) to the street then walk across and catch the rail at the Poly. If still uncertain, split your trip between SOG and another resort. And remember, if SoG is full they’ll give you a 20% discount off another resort regardless of season.

[QUOTE=ErinRB;986060]So, has anyone ever stayed at Shades of Green? The Hubby gets back from Afghanistan in Feb. and we were wondering if shades of green was a good enough hotel to relax in, or if we should spend the extra money for a more disney themed resort. Any experience out there?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Check with Dis on his tics. Seems like a while back I read where anyone on orders to/from hostile zone were given a free 5 day tic. If you time it right he just might qualify. Have fun planning & welcome.:happy:

I took pictures last time we were there… go see my TR and you can read about it and see pics of it in Post #52:

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/48125-our-merry-christmas-happy-20th-anniversary-trip.html

It is extremely beautiful, with a great pool area, lobby, and entry area. There are tons of fun activities and a golf course. I would be very, very happy to stay there! :wub:

Aw yes!:happy: The Lucky Ducks. We were at the Beach Club one year in January - it was nice during the day, but chilly at night. There was a pair of ducks that swam in the quiet pool outside our room all day and at night they moved to the hot tub. They were so cute!

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;986156]
Just because it’s owned/operated by DoD, it’s still rated as a top notch resort.

three golf courses[/QUOTE]

Two quick points

1. Disney still owns the property and the buildings. DoD has it on a long term lease (without an option to buy)

2. Disney owns and operates those golf courses
    Magnolia and Palm are full 18 hole PGA championship courses and Oak Trail is a 9 hole par 36 course.
    (That’s why the Disney Inn was also called The Walt Disney World Golf Resort).

Golf Resort/Disney Inn/Shades of Green

[QUOTE=Soundgod;986190]Two quick points

1. Disney still owns the property and the buildings. DoD has it on a long term lease (without an option to buy)

2. Disney owns and operates those golf courses
    Magnolia and Palm are full 18 hole PGA championship courses and Oak Trail is a 9 hole par 36 course.
    (That’s why the Disney Inn was also called The Walt Disney World Golf Resort).

Golf Resort/Disney Inn/Shades of Green[/QUOTE]

SG, did you read your link???:wink:

In February of 1994, the Disney Inn was leased by the U.S. Government for military personnel and the name changed to Shades of Green. The government purchased the resort outright in 1996.

On February 1, 1994, the US Department of Defense leased the resort and the land it sits on with a 100 year lease to use for the MWR program and limited the resort to eligible guests. In 1996 the resort was purchased outright, for $43 million, due to the high success of the resort although Disney still owns the land on which the resort sits.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;986244]On February 1, 1994, the US Department of Defense leased the resort and the land it sits on with a 100 year lease to use for the MWR program and limited the resort to eligible guests. In 1996 the resort was purchased outright, for $43 million, due to the high success of the resort although Disney still owns the land on which the resort sits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Green_(resort)[/QUOTE]

UR right (about the land), but my reply was in reference to this part of your post:

[QUOTE]Disney still owns the property and the buildings. DoD has it on a long term lease (without an option to buy)[/QUOTE]

Don’t ya just love it when everyone’s right…'bout something:biggrin: