Shamu dining

Has anyone had the Dinner with Shamu? We are thinking of having it this time but at present can’t decide whether it is worth waiting to see if there is availability when we get there and book it then, or whether we should just book it up now in advance? Any suggestions? anyone had this experience?

No Ariel, but it does look fun and something we have considered before- The other thing too is that the food is good at Sea World so I would imagine a dinner package like that would be equally as good.

We did it a couple of years ago, and I really don’t think it was worth the money. The show wasn’t much more than you would have seen at the regular Shamu show (which my kids LOVED - they saw it 3 times that trip - sitting in the splash zone the last 2 times). The food was just OK, nothing to write home about. I remember leaving and sayin “That was it?”

SOmetimes you decide something is worth doing once, but not again (CRT or the Character breakfast at US/IOA), but his wasn’t even worth that one time.

We went a few years ago and thought it very good. A trainer gives you a lot of information about the whales which we really liked (we’re nerdy like that) and we thought the buffet was quite good. (personally I’ve always liked Sea World food more than WDW food). We had a table right next to the whale pools and it was very neat to watch them so up close while we were eating. Over-all, we enjoyed it.

We have always wanted to try this as well. We are Bush/Seaworld passholders so we are planning on visiting in Sept. I’d love to hear what others think. Thanks for asking this question.

Well Ariel once again it may come down to peoples personal preferance…But in my opinion it was FANTASTIC. I would book it now as the space is limited.

The food and drink was very good and plenty of it. The desert was Mmmmm.
the interaction with the trainers was pleasant, as they came round the tables to talk to you and answer any questions you and your family have. they never seem to rush you and if you have not got a question they Will just sit and chat to you for a bit.

you see the SHAMU family up close- right next to your table. So cameras ready. the trainers tell you were SHAMU is going to come up so you can be ready for the action.

our family loved it and would go again. Kids Age from 4 to 18 all agree it was well worth it…

hope you book this and enjoy it as much as we did:heart:

I have to say that part of my negative review above was based on the fact that this did not happen when we went. We had read it in reviews when we were making the decision whether to book, but all we had was a trainer with a microphone standing on the other side of the pool. They never came anywhere near the tables. I wonder if we just hit it on the wrong day . . . maybe they were short-staffed that day. Our experience was definitely not worth the $ we paid for it.

I haven’t dined with Shamu, but I once saw a horse fly.

You are such a nerd Boss Mouse but that’s why I love ya! LOL:laugh::laugh::heart:

We dined with Shamu in August of 2006. It was great I loved every minute of it. We even tried to get in last minute several trips later and have yet to get in that way. Make a ressie ahead of time. Plus you pay for it when you book it so it makes it that much easier to enjoy being that it is already paid for!

I don’t have any experience with this, but I do have to say that the title of this thread gave me the wrong visual image. :laugh:

We dined with Shamu several years ago, also. We did enjoy the show immensely!! My DD was planning on becoming a killer whale trainer at the time (I think she was 7), and we got lots of great info, and we were very close to the whales.
Now the food was a different story. Not very good at all. I remember thinking it all seemed like frozen stuff you would by at a warehouse store.
So, if you are going for the show, I would say do it. Just don’t hold your breathe for an amazing meal, but maybe you will get lucky!!

Just a little thought - Our Dinning was late November 2006, So this may be the difference in how much time the trainers spend round your table.

Sorry Maggie I did not mean your review was negative, It seems that there is so many things that differ depending on what time of year you go. some times it just the luck of the draw.

:heart::wub::heart::wub::heart:

That’s too bad, because our experience was so different. There were three trainers. One answered questions in the pool. And two walked around to the all the tables and spoke with us. I remember them telling us the “real” names of all the whales (no, they aren’t all Shamu - but they are all Inuit names) and what they meant; all about their different personalities, what they eat in a day, etc. It was so interesting. I’d feel the same as you if that had been our experience.

I also remember my dh and I agreeing that it was such a relaxing “special” event - so different than the usual character meals.

[QUOTE=jimbo;854447]Just a little thought - Our Dinning was late November 2006, So this may be the difference in how much time the trainers spend round your table.

Sorry Maggie I did not mean your review was negative, It seems that there is so many things that differ depending on what time of year you go. some times it just the luck of the draw.

:heart::wub::heart::wub::heart:[/QUOTE]Oh - don’t worry :laugh::laugh: I didn’t take any offense at all. But mine was a negative review - I’ll admit it. We were just so disappointed with what it turned out to be.

I have to think back when we went - it would have been early August 2005 - maybe they’ve changed it since then.

So, we would like to do this in Sept. Would you say book now?

yes book now!! i think you can even do it on their website.

yes! yes! yes! book now :heart: when ever you want to go i would recomend early booking. go to sea world web site and book it there, you just print out your ticket:wub:

hope you enjoy it:heart:

The dining venue has two rows of tables (if I remember it correctly) one right next to the tank and one accross an aisle and next to the place where they have the buffet inside. From what I remember of my research, you have better odds of being right next to the tank the earlier you book.

Thanks everyone! I’ll be booking it as soon as we decide what day we would like to go to Sea World.