Shipping things ahead to avoid luggage fees?

Does anyone recommend shipping clothes,personal items etc. ahead to their resort to avoid the hassle/expense of the airlines?

I have heard of others doing that- I thought of shipping food down that I know I could buy cheaper here and just have it arrive there for when we got there but I fly SWA so I just packed a big suitcase with it all instead and used that same case for souveniers. The airlines that charge for bags are never cheaper for us than Southwest so its not an issue for us.

We have done it. Shipped dry food stuff (breakfast, snacks, drink mixes). Just less to pack in the car. We drive, but it is a great tip for those flying. You could even put a change of clothes for everyone in case your bags get lost for 24 hours.
Address the box to the resort. Make it clear on the outside your arrival date, and they will hold it.

We’ve done this every trip. It’s an awesome way to get consumables down there like snacks that won’t spoil, the last of toiletries that you can throw out when your vacation is over, and, like Rich said, an extra change of clothing in case someone’s luggage ends up in different place than you are.

I have always opted for having things delivered by Garden Grocer. The $10 is costs to have it delivered to the resort is comparable to shipping costs, so it made sense to me. Heck, shipping it could run you more. Pay in advance for garden grocer and luggage will hold it for you when it arrives and even deliver it to your room. they keep the cold, cold for you…worth it in my opinion.

I can’t imagine what it would cost to ship from here; probably more than a week at WDW would cost. I think Garden Grocer would be a better choice.

I would also recommend to ship early enough. If you do the box can be sent at a much lower rate. I think the post ofice calls it a 3rd class rate.
Just send it out 7-10 days before. I do know that I have sent boxes this rate from SC to NJ and they got there in 2 days. It’s just that at the lower rate they can take longer depending on the current volume the postal service is experiencing. The postal service can also tell you when it will arrive from your zip code.

We shipped on out last trip. It saved a lot of hassel and expense for baggage. We stayed at the cabins at FW and the boxes were even in our cabins before we checked in.

We do it almost every trip. What I usually send is consumable items that will weigh down luggage. Also, snacks and sips.

I have never considered shipping to a resort, but have considered shipping all our mall buys back home!:happy:

We ship down a large box containing snack, cereal, etc as well as toiletries like shampoos, sunscreen, toilet paper, etc. I UPS it so it is delivered the day before our arrival. It saves us money on food plus we don’t need to fight the crowds around the food court in the mornings. I print out a return label to ship the box back home with all the extra stuff we have picked up throughout the vacation.

We are flying SWA mostly because I don’t want to have to worry about luggage or buying too much. I really pack too much already
Does the post office have large enough flat rate shipping boxes? you could send it less expensive that way
Good Luck

[QUOTE=Tinkerbella;1072885]We are flying SWA mostly because I don’t want to have to worry about luggage or buying too much. I really pack too much already
Does the post office have large enough flat rate shipping boxes? you could send it less expensive that way
Good Luck[/QUOTE]

UPS is usually cheaper than US mail, and you can track your package via the net.

I have a hook in WDW, so I just send a list and a check. I get the stuff when I get
there.

I know - I know: How cool is Boss? He’s the Ginchiest.

What???

My thoughts exactly…WTH does that mean? lolol boss is SOOO silly.:laugh:

Must have been doing a tutu inventory while typing.

C’mon people. You never heard of being ginchy?

Ok, ok … this is easy … being ginchy= being Bossmouse. Get it? … As in being totaly cool?

Man, you guys are So 3 days ago…

i usually send my strereo down ahead of me so i can have it at old key west. overboard? i think not… its home away from home isn’t it? and i need my music!

how about an iPod with a speaker attachment dude :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: